Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Loc: In the depths of my own m...
New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info......
    #6723152 - 03/29/07 02:55 AM (17 years, 23 days ago)

Im a new grower of the fungi and just about ready to start fruiting. Im going to use a variation of the Poorman's pod for my fruiting chamber and am using the PFtek method for colonizing. Im using 1/2 pint jars and brown rice flour etc.
I had 4 Hawaiian copelandia but they got infected with blue spots and brown spots. the mycellium never really took off and makes me think it couldve been infected spore syringe.
I still have PF classic, Penis envy, B+, and Treasure coast. all ar ealmost fully colonized and ready to pin. One of the B+ seems to be showing tiny pins already.

Anyways, here are my main questions....
I know light spectrum is very important to growth in fruiting(i plan to use a 6500k). How close can a mushroom get to the light? Like what temp is too hot? ALso what temp and humidity level is optimal in my tub? Can i use hydrogen peroxide in the water in the tub to help keep out bacteria etc w/o affecting the shrooms?

Thanks for any info and if these are stupid ques. or i overlooked simple answers....my bad.

Be well

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority

The awakening comes in blur of light. Never leaving the veil of night. Enlightened now i feel alive. Finally my mind can grow and strive

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlehMaestro
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: BurntByTheSun13]
    #6723178 - 03/29/07 03:17 AM (17 years, 23 days ago)

Ok, well, light spectrum really isn't all that important for growth, and you don't want them to get too close to a hot light either. You want to fruit at ~70-80 degrees, but then can grow down to 60 and up to 90+. Mushrooms(cubensis) only need a few hours of indirect light per day to start fruiting. Some believe that brighter light or certain spectrum may give better pinsets, but I don't think there is any definitive evidence.

For cakes, you'll want humidity at 95-100%. Use 3-5 inches of damp(well drained) perlite. Make sure there is no standing water in the perlite, or it won't work as well.

Remember to give your cakes plenty of fresh air, as well. The more the better, mushies need to breathe..

I wouldn't use hydrogen peroxide unless you absolutely have to battle some contam, and even then you probably just want to start over IMHO.

Not stupid questions, keep askin.

Edited by BlehMaestro (03/29/07 03:18 AM)

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: BlehMaestro]
    #6726456 - 03/29/07 09:59 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks.

Ive read here that 6500k range is best for growth and that a metal halide would penetrate best if practical. I have some and will use later when the setup gets bigger and more elaborate.
The lights im going to use are 30w cfls at 6500k, producing 2000lumens. U can get right next to em w/o heat being a factor.
Im planning on using the Poormans pod(as i said b4). It will be fully automated with air pump, air stones, grow rock mix, and vent in top. So fresh air exchange wont be a problem.
Ive just heard the hydro peroxide wouldnt hurt the shrooms and would help keep stuff out a bit but i figure it will also add a lil o2 to the mix and help push out the co2 a bit better. the hydro pero wont ever come in direct contact w/ the cakes or shrooms.

Any more thoughts????

Be well

--------------------

The awakening comes in blur of light. Never leaving the veil of night. Enlightened now i feel alive. Finally my mind can grow and strive

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: BurntByTheSun13]
    #6726524 - 03/29/07 10:14 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Ok, light isn't nearly so important as you have read. Basically, if there is enough light to see the cakes without squinting, there's enough light for them to grow. The blue spectrum is supposedly better (if I remember that correctly), but I personally have never seen any difference. Remember, the mush simply use the light as a cue to fruit, they don't actually do anything with the light - unlike a plant.

Hydrogen Peroxide isn't bad for them at all, but you'll want to make a weak solution. I personally have never been a fan of using anything besides water, so I'd search for a proper ratio.

For fruiting, you want to drop the temperature about 10 degrees from whatever temperature you colonized at. This simulates the drop in temperature due both to seasonal change, and due to the mycelium breaking to the surface of whatever they were growing inside. You should fruit at no more than I'd say 68-70 degrees.

I'd stay away from metal halide. First off, I wouldn't trust water vapor near a ballast. Second off, you're going to dry out your substrate with that kind of heat and energy. If you want to use a light, I suggest getting a cheap compact flourescent (about 5$ from home depot) and using that instead.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineBlehMaestro
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: wiggles]
    #6726546 - 03/29/07 10:20 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

You definitely do not need a metal halide bulb no matter how large the grow gets. As said, they do not convert light into energy to grow. Mushrooms simply use light to know which direction to grow. You can fruit in the dark, and your mushrooms will just be growin all over the place every direction, it's just kinda sloppy.

Instead of focusing on light and peroxide, focus on fresh air and humidity levels. The Poor Man's Pod should do you well.

Additionally, you do NOT need to drop the temp 10 degrees if it's Psilocybe Cubensis. They can fruit at any temp from 60-90+, but 70-80 is ideal.

Edited by BlehMaestro (03/29/07 10:22 PM)

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: BlehMaestro]
    #6726559 - 03/29/07 10:24 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

90+ is going to be extremely difficult to fruit. At that point a large number of mycelium will hae started to die.. not all, but some.

70-80 is good for incubation, you want colder for fruiting.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: wiggles]
    #6726579 - 03/29/07 10:31 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks peeps. from all of my preliminary tests the temp should run 72-75 w/o much problem, so sounds like all should be well.
The hydro pero mix i was gonna try is just like a capful to prob about 2-3 gal. h2o.

Be well

--------------------

Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

Loc: Outside Your Window
    #6726584 - 03/29/07 10:33 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

wiggles said:
90+ is going to be extremely difficult to fruit. At that point a large number of mycelium will hae started to die.. not all, but some.

70-80 is good for incubation, you want colder for fruiting.

Sorry wiggles, but you're wrong.

80 is to high. Room temp to 75 is more appropriate.

When fruiting cubes 70 to 75 is fine.

Hey RR, do you see what I mean (and I know ya do), about a myths debunked section?

--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Invisiblefarva86
I dont want alarge farva. Iwant aleeder-a-cola
Male

Loc: MIddle of Nowhere, AR
    #6726588 - 03/29/07 10:34 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

as per the H2O2, why fix what isnt broken?

also plants are photosynthetic, which means they need the light for energy.  Shrooms however are phototropic meaning they just use it to know which way to grow.  without light they will just grow in the direction they want to, be it up, down, sideways, or into the cake which could possibly result in a contam problem if it rots.  they also dont need very much light at all.  12 on 12 off is the most common but ive read that it can be as little as less than an hour a day.  all they need is enough to know which way to go.

for the temp just stick with room temp and you'll be just fine.  to help induce pinning u can cold shock them by puttin them in the fridge for a few hours and then put them in the FC.  im not sure on the amount of time to put them in the fridge but just do a search and ull find the answer real quick.

GL:thumbup:

--------------------
Eddie Money doesn't have to put up with this shit.
The wonder has a name: shrooms.

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6726595 - 03/29/07 10:40 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

It's seems strange to call it "too high" when its always worked wonderfully for me :smile: To each his own I guess.

I'm not sure where you got the 80 from though... RR even mentioned in another thread that 80 or so is a decent incubating temperature. It is not too high. I've performed numerous cultures both with p. cube, p. mexicana, and other misc. cell and fungal samples. 80 is not too high. Thermal death will not occur until the 90's, but you'd have to be insane to try to incubate or fruit that high.

For light, I've always just gone with a 7 or so watt bulb and left it on 24/7 outside the terrarium :smile: Worked like a dream!

--------------------

Hunter S. Thompson

Edited by wiggles (03/29/07 10:41 PM)

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

#6726608 - 03/29/07 10:47 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Sooooo, should i use 12hr light cycle or 18hr or 24?

Be well and thanx

--------------------

Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

#6726618 - 03/29/07 10:49 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

*Paging RR*

It is to high in terms of optimal conditions.

MM

--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Invisiblefarva86
I dont want alarge farva. Iwant aleeder-a-cola
Male

Loc: MIddle of Nowhere, AR
Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: mikemushroom]
    #6726663 - 03/29/07 11:01 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

it doesnt matter how much light u give them as long as they do get a little on a daily basis.  u can give them 24hrs if u want but its a waste of electricity seeing as how they dont need that much.  if ur not sure just do a 12/12.

as far as the temp conversation thats going, 90+ i believe can be done it just isnt considered optimal.  like i said earlier room temp will be fine.  i think "optimal" temp is ~75-80 but im not to sure on that, or if theres even a definitive answer.

GL:cheers:

--------------------
Eddie Money doesn't have to put up with this shit.
The wonder has a name: shrooms.

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: farva86]
    #6726684 - 03/29/07 11:07 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Sweet, thanks. How do we download pics here? Its not like most forums im used to. Do i have ot save stuff to html or something?

Casue ive got some of what i think are bruised cakes, but not sure. I 1st thought they were infected but not sure now. would like to post some pics and get some opinions etc.

Be well

--------------------

Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: farva86]
    #6726705 - 03/29/07 11:11 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

farva86 said:
it doesnt matter how much light u give them as long as they do get a little on a daily basis.  u can give them 24hrs if u want but its a waste of electricity seeing as how they dont need that much.  if ur not sure just do a 12/12.

as far as the temp conversation thats going, 90+ i believe can be done it just isnt considered optimal.  like i said earlier room temp will be fine.  i think "optimal" temp is ~75-80 but im not to sure on that, or if theres even a definitive answer.

GL:cheers:

A definitive answer...I doubt it. I will say that I have seen and participated in this debate to many times to count. Search through some of my old posts to find the opinions of Roadkill, RR, and others.

I believe Roadkill and possibly coda stated that they use 75 in the incubation chamber (I do to), and RR does it at room temp.

Good night everyone.

MM

--------------------

InvisiblePoC
Relax
Male User Gallery

#6726722 - 03/29/07 11:15 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Quote:

mikemushroom said:
*Paging RR*

It is to high in terms of optimal conditions.

MM

80°F is a fine incubating temperature.  The temperature of the myc on the inside has optimal growth at 86°F (From Stamet's The Mushroom Cultivator).  That's for incubating.

Fruiting temps generally drop into the lower-mid 70s.  Don't know if you missed that he was talking about incubation temps or what.

If you're talking about myths debunked, someone's bound to point out that cold shocking isn't relevant to cubensis mushrooms.

And as for picture uploading, go to the top of the page where it has your "Home, threads, pics, messages" type stuff and go to the pictures section and upload.  It will give you a piece of BB code to copy and paste into these threads :smile:

--------------------

Edited by PoC (03/29/07 11:18 PM)

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6726791 - 03/29/07 11:43 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Light works best 12/12 off on, mimicking day/night.
Best type light is a fluorescent.
I use a 14 inch tube, or screw in compacts.
If it produces enough light to read by, it's fine.

Incubation temps depends on what you are incubating.
72/78F for PF & wbs/grain spawn jars is a SAFE range.

--------------------

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#6726795 - 03/29/07 11:43 PM (17 years, 22 days ago)

I've always read 72 is optimal for fruiting. This is backed up by pros who count on proper temps to give them the best yeild.

And, I know for a fact that cranking the incubation temps to 80 will cause the mycelium to grow faster.

However, I find it much more convenient to incubate and fruit at room temp, whatever it happens to be, which is between 70-75 depending on the time of year. Temp change is a trigger, but it's not necessary for getting a good pinset from cubes. So my incubation is a little slower than possible, my fruiting temps are always near optimal.

As for light, as long as the container isn't fully opaque, room light, or ambient light from closed blinds will get the job done. If you grow in a closet, rig a fluorescent up above the chamber. Most tubs aren't light proof. I think the thing about blue comes from the fact that the blue spectrum penetrates to the forest floor the best, but I don't remember reading the blue spectrum is even necessary to initiate pinning. Basically, any bulb will do.

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free."
~Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Re: New Here and just really tryin to absorb all of the info...... [Re: Rahz]
    #6727021 - 03/30/07 02:29 AM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Thanks peeps. great info. I'll get some pics up later today for some more help. Be well

--------------------

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

#6727047 - 03/30/07 02:49 AM (17 years, 22 days ago)

Here's some random pics....

My incubation tub. Bottom is filled with bleach water and a heater set to 82. Inside of upper tub is bout the same sometimes down to 80.

Here are some of the jars about 2 wks ago

I'll get pics of the suspected contam. jars i moved and see what everybody thinks bout em. Be well

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom