Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
This thread is very old and might contain outdated or inaccurate information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
my stupid scale isn't working and dosing is iffy
    #6704369 - 03/23/07 10:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

so i got an amount of shrooms one day from a friend. i wanted to weigh it out myself and bought a small scale for it. it's minimum measurement is 1G and maximum is 5KG. a basic digital kitchen scale. i didn't want to buy a more accurate scale because I've had cop attention on me for some reason and i don't want to be caught and accused of dealing. i just wanted to weigh out my own dose.

anyway.

i put the dried shrooms piece by piece on the scale and it gives me 2g. I'm thinking that it's not right so i put the shrooms on a napkin and place them on the scale all at once. thus i get 6g. now this pisses me off because i want to get an accurate reading and it seems calibrating that scale is pretty impossible, or at least i haven't figured it out yet.

any suggestions on how can i get an accurate reading on it? i used this method:

put a shot glass on the scale and got 140g. then added shrooms and got 148g. okay. tried with a different glass just in case. then the same amount of shrooms came out 6g.

any ideas how can i get an accurate reading from it?

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleBIGROM
Male User Gallery

Re: my stupid scale isn't working and dosing is iffy [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #6704393 - 03/23/07 10:38 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i don't know if this will help but i use a nickel (5 cents) to tell if my scale is working, one nickel is 5g on the dot

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineOneRainyWish
Dragon
Male
Re: my stupid scale isn't working and dosing is iffy [Re: BIGROM]
    #6704463 - 03/23/07 11:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Does it have a tare function??

If so, put something fairly heavy like a coffee mug on it, then tare that so it reads out to zero, then put the shroomies on it all at once.

I used to have problems with scales when weighing small amounts, and I've found that this method usually does the trick...lemme know how it goes..

Invisiblefarmer88
Male User Gallery

Re: my stupid scale isn't working and dosing is iffy *DELETED* [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #6704638 - 03/24/07 12:08 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by farmer88

Reason for deletion: .

Invisibletoastdth
strangest
Re: my stupid scale isn't working and dosing is iffy [Re: farmer88]
    #6704813 - 03/24/07 12:58 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Pennies weigh 2.5 grams. Knowing this, I MacGyver scales whenever I need to weigh something that is sub-gram, but doesn't have to be ultra-precise. These scales are modeled after the steelyard balance, and has been used for centuries. It's just not very fancy, and requires a calculator (or pencil and paper!) to use.

Pennies, cardboard, aluminum foil, some duct tape, and of course, paperclips. I bend a paperclip open, and poke it through 1/4 away from one end of a 1" wide by 12"-ish long cardboard strip. I make two aluminum foil weigh cups (or other very light material), and attach paperclip hangers to them through the center of the cups. I tape this in place. One cup's hanger gets poked through the cardboard at the very end of the short side - the side you put the paperclip through 1/4 of the way down. Hang the other cup off the long arm - do not poke it through, as it needs to move. The scale is now pretty much constructed.

To mark it for weights, put a penny in each cup. Balance it, and make a mark on the fulcrum to note where "balanced" is, and make a note on the long arm where the cup sits. This is "even." Now, put two pennies in the fixed side. Move the other cup until it balances again. Mark this 1/2. Add another penny. Move the cup. Mark it 1/3. Continue doing this as long as you'd like. The relationship in physical weight is expodential - you can measure the distance between the 1st and 2nd marks, and the 3rd mark should be twice the distance away. So, you can mark weights between pennies using a ruler.

Reading the scale:

With one penny in the standard cup:
Even = 2.5g
1/2 = 1.25g
1/3 = 0.83g
1/4 = 0.63g

With two pennies (or a nickel) in the standard cup:
Even = 5g
1/2 = 2.5g
1/3 = 0.125g
1/4 = 0.625g

When I do it, my scales are highly repeatable and give a very good measurement for single user dry mushroom doses using one penny in the fixed cup.

To mark things between lines:
Half the distance between the lines. The number that goes there is calculated by the following:
weight of mark = (weight to the left + weight to the right) / 2

So, if I'm using a single penny (2.5), the weight between "even" and "1/2" is going to be 1.875g. The mark between 1.875g and 2.5g is 2.187g. And so on.

So as you can see, I can get fairly accurate numbers by spending a couple minutes marking a scale up. To make a second, even more accurate, you can add a known weight to one of the marks along the long arm with a quarter of a penny. Snip the penny into a rough quarter, then use it on your existing scale until it lines up dead on the 1/4 mark. Find the 1/2 point of a new scale, and you increase the resolving precision of the scale between that point and the standard cup. Mark it up and figure out what the numbers are, just like previous attempt.

All this being said, you should probably just go buy a scale.

Invisibletoastdth
strangest
Re: my stupid scale isn't working and dosing is iffy [Re: toastdth]
    #6705241 - 03/24/07 04:10 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Also, I just re-made a scale. The above is ass-backwards, as I had forgotten how to do it properly. The general principle is there, but you'll find out what parts are wrong very quickly if you try to build one. Easy to correct, though.

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: my stupid scale isn't working and dosing is iffy [Re: OneRainyWish]
    #6705591 - 03/24/07 08:11 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OneRainyWish said:
Quote:

Does it have a tare function??

If so, put something fairly heavy like a coffee mug on it, then tare that so it reads out to zero, then put the shroomies on it all at once.

I used to have problems with scales when weighing small amounts, and I've found that this method usually does the trick...lemme know how it goes..

thanks man, that worked. it had a TARE button and i tried what you said and got an accurate reading.

10g coming up.

thanks again :thumbup:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom