Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
Re: I'm going to experience weightlessness next week. [Re: Annom]
    #6332200 - 12/04/06 07:01 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

That sounds awesome, I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I promise as soon as I get my own cessna I'll take you for a few weightless rides :grin: After all, I decided I should learn about piloting after that convo we had.

Do you happen to know what pitch angle was used for every part of the maneuver?

EDIT: Did the pilot actually get the plane to stall on porpouse or just close to it? I bet a full stall could make some people panic...

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Edited by Colonel Kurtz Ph.D (12/04/06 07:04 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
Re: I'm going to experience weightlessness next week. [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #6332397 - 12/04/06 10:00 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much! I promise as soon as I get my own cessna I'll take you for a few weightless rides.

I promise the same!

Do you happen to know what pitch angle was used for every part of the maneuver?

No... I think you have to start with very small, non zero-g parabolic flights and increase the speed and pitch angle gradually. I can imagine it might be confusing to do it full scale for the first time as a pilot.

Did the pilot actually get the plane to stall on porpouse or just close to it? I bet a full stall could make some people panic...

Yeah, he did stall the plane to show us what would happen. For the airfoil of the plane we flew with, air separation(=the air doesn't follow the profile of the wing anymore) starts at the leading edge of the wing. That means that you lose all your lift at once. With small propeller-planes, air separations starts at the trailing edge of the wing, which means you lose lift gradually, but still very fast.

To warn just before stall(on the plane we flew with), there is a little triangular bar on the front of the wing that generates a turbulent airflow that hits the horizontal tail elevator when close to stall, the pilot can clearly feel this in the controls. Pretty neat mechanical warning.... There also is a simple beep when the angle of attack is close to the critical(stall) angle of attack.

A full stall isn't dangerous if you don't fly very low. When the wings lose all lift, the nose is automatically pointed downwards and that will cause the air to attach to the wing again.

Yes, it's a 172-180.

Nice!!!

I flew in a Cessna 172 Skyhawk in the first year of my study. We were allowed to take controls in mid-air. Felt damn solid.

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery
Loc: Shadow Moses
    #6333075 - 12/04/06 02:21 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Yep, that's indeed how I've been  explained a stall before :thumbup:

I can tell you that on a cessna 172 a stall is usually very easy to recover, you might lose a hundred feet of altitude or so but the plane can most of the times recover by itself under the right conditions. As far as I know it's a lot harder to recover from it on bigger airplanes but also harder to get into since they carry so much energy to begin with :shrug:

Still a stall horn is one of those things I wouldn't want to hear specially if I was carrying people on final approach in a windy airport :grin:

BTW, one of the things that I think pilots can't be ever be grateful enough for is the trim control. Now that's some awesome engineering feat :grin:

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlinewhichits
Stranger

Re: I'm going to experience weightlessness next week. [Re: Diploid]
    #6685854 - 03/19/07 12:52 AM (17 years, 14 days ago)

thats a good one!!

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: I'm going to experience weightlessness next week. [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #6686423 - 03/19/07 08:39 AM (17 years, 14 days ago)

I can tell you that on a cessna 172 a stall is usually very easy to recover

This is generally true of 172s so long as the airplane is being flown within its design CG envelope. Still, when a 172 is near gross weight and with the CG near the aft limit, very little control authority is required to stall the airplane and a more affirmative correction is required to recover.

Also, with a rear CG, once the stall occurs, the airplane will tend to roll to one side or another. Holding back elevator pressure after the stall begins in this CG configuration will eventually lead to a spin.

This happens when, during the stall, one wing dips. This makes the plane turn in that direction which speeds up the wing on the outside of the turn just enough to break the stall and generate lift again.

With one wing unstalled (lifting) and the other stalled, the airplane spins toward the wing on the inside of the turn and voila, you have a spin. A spin in a 172 with a proficient pilot and in-envelope CG isn't dangerous so long as there is enough altitude to recover. Some other types of airplanes are much harder or even impossible to recover from a spin.

Part of basic pilot training includes the theory and practice of spin entry and recovery.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineChuangTzu
starvingphysicist
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6687486 - 03/19/07 02:35 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Drink water with chopsticks: http://science.nasa.gov/ppod/y2003/07apr_hightea.htm : )

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6687863 - 03/19/07 04:20 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

I envy you. I went on a ride at Disneyworld last week that claimed to be 0 Gs but it wasn't even close. I did experience 2 Gs in the simulator but weightlessness is something I've always dreamed of experiencing.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: I'm going to experience weightlessness next week. [Re: zorbman]
    #6687890 - 03/19/07 04:28 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

> but weightlessness is something I've always dreamed of experiencing.

Look into skydiving...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: I'm going to experience weightlessness next week. [Re: Seuss]
    #6690673 - 03/20/07 07:25 AM (17 years, 13 days ago)

BASE jumping!

During ordinary skydiving from an airplane, you jump into an airstream flowing at about 80 knots. That's more than half way to terminal velocity, so you don't get any noticeable freefall feeling.

But jump from a balloon or a bridge with zero starting velocity and WOOHOO!

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Myyco.com Shop: Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale