Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp, Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure
    #6690448 - 03/20/07 04:41 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure
They Say Fiber From Processed, Sterilized Cow Manure Could Be Used To Make Floors
(AP) DETROIT Home-buyers of tomorrow could find themselves walking across floors made from manure.

That's no cow pie-in-the-sky dream, according to researchers at Michigan State University and the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

They say fiber from processed and sterilized cow manure could take the place of sawdust in fiberboard, which is used to make everything from furniture to flooring to store shelves.

And the resulting product smells just fine.

The researchers hope it could be part of the solution to disposing of the 1.5 trillion to 2 trillion pounds of manure produced annually in the United States.

The concept has its skeptics.

"Is this something you're going to bring into the house?" asked Steve Fowler, an economist with the Composite Panel Association, a fiberboard-makers trade group based in Gaithersburg, Md.

Farmers traditionally use manure to fertilize their fields. But as the scale of farms has grown -- with more and more animals densely concentrated in a single location -- they can find themselves with too little land for the manure they produce.

"Farmers are having to put more and more money into dealing with manure," said Tim Zauche, a chemistry professor at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville who is working on the USDA research project.

A dairy farm can spend $200 per cow per year to handle its manure, Zauche said. Those costs include onsite processing and spreading, as well as transportation for offsite disposal.

Environmental activists and regulators are paying increased attention to the contamination of streams and underground water sources from manure runoff. And people who move into what used to be rural areas often complain about manure's odor.

Under pressure from regulators and the public, more large livestock operations are installing expensive manure treatment systems known as anaerobic digesters.

The digesters use heat to deodorize and sterilize manure, while capturing and using the methane gas it produces to generate electricity. The systems also separate phosphorus-laden liquid fertilizer from semisolid plant residue.

The solids have some known uses, including animal bedding and potting soil, and agricultural scientists would like to find more.

"We really need to think outside the box on what uses for manure are," said Wendy Powers, a professor of agriculture at Michigan State University.

Scientists at Michigan State in East Lansing and at the USDA's Forest Products Laboratory in Madison, Wis., are conducting tests on various types of fiberboard made with the "digester solids."

As with the wood-based original, the manure-based product is made by combining fibers with a chemical resin, then subjecting the mixture to heat and pressure.

So far, fiberboard made with digester solids seems to match or beat the quality of wood-based products.

"It appears that the fibers interlock with each other better than wood," said Charles Gould at Michigan State's College of Agriculture and Natural Resources.

Gould and Laurent Matuana, a forestry professor at Michigan State, recently finished a pilot study of manure-based fiberboard, funded by a $5,000 grant from the Michigan Biomass Energy Program.

A draft of the report concluded that fiberboard panels made with processed manure "performed very well in mechanical tests, in many cases meeting or exceeding the standard requirements for particleboard."

The USDA lab in Wisconsin recently began an 18-month, $30,000 study to test the strength and endurance of the manure-based fiberboard and examine the economic practicality of using digested fiber to make building products.

One good thing about the manure-based fiber is cost, said Zauche. Farmers who currently pay to dispose of manure could soon be selling it.

Whether that's enough to overcome the public's squeamishness about using a manure byproduct as a building product remains to be seen, a plywood trade group representative said.

"If nobody in industry has an interest, it will die," said Craig Adair, spokesman for Tacoma, Wash.-based APA -- The Engineered Wood Association

http://cbs11tv.com/consumer/local_story_074091455.html

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: thallus]
    #6690504 - 03/20/07 05:29 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"The researchers hope it could be part of the solution to disposing of the 1.5 trillion to 2 trillion pounds of manure produced annually in the United States."

They could donate it here. :laugh:

"The concept has its skeptics.

"Is this something you're going to bring into the house?" asked Steve Fowler, an economist with the Composite Panel Association, a fiberboard-makers trade group based in Gaithersburg, Md."

Is that seriously all he said? What a compelling point!

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #6690654 - 03/20/07 09:00 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

why dont they sell it to farms so they can grow organically? instead of spraying carcinogenic chemicles all over the damn place :rolleyes:

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: moon_glue]
    #6690662 - 03/20/07 09:11 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sounds pretty cool to me. I guess people would have to get over the stigma attached to cow shit, but once its cleaned up it really isnt too bad.

Funny, we are willing to use cow shit, but stay away from hemp!

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Loc: .inside a t.hundercloud.
Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: moon_glue]
    #6690759 - 03/20/07 10:56 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

moon_glue said:
why dont they sell it to farms so they can grow organically? instead of spraying carcinogenic chemicles all over the damn place :rolleyes:

using cow manure as a fertilizer has its downsides, including the accumulation of toxic chemicals and heavy metals, due to the shit that they're feeding americas dairy and beef cows.  using manure as a fertilizer does not at all cut down on how much you have to spray pesticides and herbicides, which are not fertilizers, but poisons.

although, using this shit to grow food would be, well, ideal
seeing as how we are on a global food shortage these days....
people

--------------------
Spiral out.... keep going...
spiral out!

OfflineSebastian23
Stranger
Male

Loc: Bay
Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: dedjam]
    #6692157 - 03/20/07 06:50 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gopenguins said:
Sounds pretty cool to me. I guess people would have to get over the stigma attached to cow shit, but once its cleaned up it really isnt too bad.

Funny, we are willing to use cow shit, but stay away from hemp!

Its sad, isn't it?

Well, if they haul away all the cow shit from fields, what will our precious cubensis grow out of? :ooo:

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment
with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
it was written on."
-Terence McKenna
Marijuana Myths Debunked

InvisibleFoURtWeNTy420
Infinite Conciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miami
Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: Sebastian23]
    #6692628 - 03/20/07 09:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

"The researchers hope it could be part of the solution to disposing of the 1.5 trillion to 2 trillion pounds of manure produced annually in the United States."
they should really use all that manure to grow psilocibin for the whole WORLD or just the U.S...............

--------------------
---------------------
I support drug testing, which drug should i test today?

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: whythewho]
    #6692810 - 03/20/07 10:00 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

whythewho said:
Quote:

moon_glue said:

using cow manure as a fertilizer has its downsides, including the accumulation of toxic chemicals and heavy metals, due to the shit that they're feeding americas dairy and beef cows.  using manure as a fertilizer does not at all cut down on how much you have to spray pesticides and herbicides, which are not fertilizers, but poisons.

although, using this shit to grow food would be, well, ideal
seeing as how we are on a global food shortage these days....
people

Here's an even better idea: Methane digestion. They say farmers are spending $200 a head/year to manage their manure. One Minnesota dairy farm, after installing a digester, saw annual revenues (including heating/electricity savings) upwards of $100 per head. No-brainer, if you ask me. After the process is done the effluent is recovered and then used as fertilizer, which makes it much safer for crops, groundwater, etc.

Obviously methane digestion isn't for every application, but it sure as hell helps in most.

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Loc: .inside a t.hundercloud.
Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: DNKYD]
    #6700280 - 03/22/07 08:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yes, in my state they have established atleast one methane plant that i know about, they just capture all the crap from the dairy cows, digest it and produce methane, then pump the sewage out into a crap 'lagoon'

there are obviously holes in this 'closed loop' system,
they could be using the sewage to grow the grain that they're
feeding to the cows, and then have a more sustainable system.

they could also be making ethanol first with the grains,
and then feeding the distillers grain to the cows,
using the ethanol to fuel the methanol distillation.

etc. etc.

--------------------
Spiral out.... keep going...
spiral out!

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: Researchers Find New Uses For Cow Manure [Re: whythewho]
    #6701259 - 03/23/07 12:17 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Unrelated, but ethanol from feedstocks is a colossal fuck-up.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Cultivation Supplies, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Hemp, Scales

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service