Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDT2K
asdsadwvwv

LC Troubles
    #6690216 - 03/20/07 03:01 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Hey I was wondering if anyone knows or has ever gotten saucer shaped contams in their liquid cultures? Let me start off by saying that I'm not exactly an amateur and I have made LC many many times and the LC step seems to be the only one that sometimes screws me due to contams (I suspect that I get the spore syringes already contammed). I purchased some spores from sporeworks and had them shipped express. I live in Canada and they were here 2 days after I placed my order. I inoculated my malt filled jars and got some pretty crappy results 4 days later. Exactly half of the jars outright failed, they look like sand. The other half have these small saucer shaped strutures floating around which looks totally unlike the myc I have ever seen in liquid cultures. Anyone know what that could be?

As for my process, it is sterile and is always the EXACT same for each LC cook. Yet I get a random number of failing jars...I'm pretty sure the spore syringes are contammed when I get them. Anyone have problems with ordering spores online?

PS. On all other LC cooks, by day 4, I had a pretty sturdy structure going in the jars that didn't fail.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: LC Troubles [Re: DT2K]
    #6690250 - 03/20/07 03:18 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Sporeworks has NEVER failed me, NOT ONCE.

If they were SYRINGES?
Suggest you wrap the needle (once uncapped)
In a alc soaked gauze pad.
And, hold it in place while inoculating LC jars.

If they were prints.
I hope you used a aseptic technique & glove box.
To make syringes in.

Worst case, PM sporeworks about the issue.
They will make it right, if they were at fault.

--------------------

InvisibleDT2K
asdsadwvwv

Re: LC Troubles [Re: agar]
    #6690861 - 03/20/07 11:37 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

See, I'm not trying to drag their name through the mud or anything. I hear that everyone always gets good results with them. Thing is...first time I did it using sporeworks syringes (they're not sporeprints, they're syringes) I had a 100% success rate and the sterility process was the exact same. Literally no change. Second time I ordered from them, the LC looked different than the first time (very excessively strandy). In my experience this makes weak substrate colonization, as it did. So it worked, but only at 50% of what it had in the first time I tried sporeworks syringes. And now the third time, the jars look like complete crap with a 0% success rate. Half of the jars have some kind of saucers and the other half has absolutely nothing.

It may all very well be that during the cross border transportation, some nice customs broker decided to open each syringe and lick it, or perhaps sneeze in the bag. I'm not really sure of the effects of transporting it by plane since at high altitudes it can easily be -58F. All I know is that I was careful with my procedure, making sure to keep it constant and had greatly varying results from it. BTW, any idea what those saucers are? Most likely contams?

Offlinedeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
    #6690993 - 03/20/07 12:47 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

if you have the "saucers"...
do you think i got...the mother-ship.:grin:

clone after a month of growth.

is it possible that a few groups of spore could mate and then grow out in a lc enchewing(sp) any other matings,
and grow on in a clone-like manner.
unlikely.but possible?

be interested to see a pic of your "saucers"

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

InvisibleDT2K
asdsadwvwv

Re: LC Troubles [Re: deucedbi9]
    #6691121 - 03/20/07 01:41 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

It's unlikely because I know what you're talking about, I've had those too when I left some jars for 2-3 months or so, with no intention to use them. That just happens because it grows on the surface and makes a very thick myc disk. What I'm talking about is many, about 20-30, small saucers in each jar. They look like small structures. What bothers me most is that the other half of the jars are outright fails with nothing growing in them...that is what makes me pretty sure it's contams as well...

Offlinesdnnet3
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Lost within myself.
    #6691244 - 03/20/07 02:17 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

molds and the like can grow on the top water-skin of your LC in the shape of discs. I've had this once or twice while blowing off sterile practices.

--------------------
Cocaine is God's way of telling you that you're making too much money.
----------------------------------------------------
Everything i say, type, expess, comment upon, or in any other form of communication is nothing but the imagined work of my created fiction. nothing stated by me is truthfull in any matter.

InvisibleDT2K
asdsadwvwv

Re: LC Troubles [Re: sdnnet3]
    #6691995 - 03/20/07 06:06 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

yea, except its not on the surface, its many saucers floating around the solution. Moreover, sterile process was very thorough.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6692124 - 03/20/07 06:44 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DT2K said:
I've had those too when I left some jars for 2-3 months or so, with no intention to use them. That just happens because it grows on the surface and makes a very thick myc disk.

I have had this two and I scrapped them due to the inability to rip it up even with the broken glass in the jar it was to thick,like a solid object:confused:

Offlinedeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: LC Troubles [Re: Blutjager]
    #6692316 - 03/20/07 07:45 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

DT2K said:
I've had those too when I left some jars for 2-3 months or so, with no intention to use them. That just happens because it grows on the surface and makes a very thick myc disk.

I have had this two and I scrapped them due to the inability to rip it up even with the broken glass in the jar it was to thick,like a solid object:confused:

the "mother-ship" dosn't float on the surface.
she normally sits on the bottom middle of the jar,just growing. exponentially.
i've wondered just how much of the jar she will grow into if left.
i can't bring myself to throw her out, i love her soft squishiness.
:mushroom2: :heart: :rolleyes:

DT2K can you not post pictures?
i'd like to see your flying saucers.

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: LC Troubles [Re: deucedbi9]
    #6692776 - 03/20/07 09:52 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

deucedbi9 said:I love her soft squishiness.:heart:

:69: :lol:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation