Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

Loc: ^^ His house ^^
The Perlite Side Does Go Up At Birthing
    #668734 - 06/08/02 10:06 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey,

I have seen quite a few people confused by this subject, including me. All the Tek's say that the perlite side goes up but for some reason all the pro's on here say the perlite side goes down...

When you see pics of cakes all the mishies are either growing from the bottom or the very top. Well if they are growing from the top the perlite side is always up. If they are growing from the bottom the perlite side is always down...anyone notice this?

That is proof that the perlite side should go up, just go look at pics of fruiting cakes if you are sceptical.

Fd

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Loc: Tennessee
Re: The Perlite Side Does Go Up At Birthing [Re: Fd3000]
    #668741 - 06/08/02 10:19 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You mean vermiculite right?

Perlite is not used in cakes...

You are probably seeing the double ended casing tek. Some people get confused over what is actually the top or bottom side of a cake. The vermiculite goes on the bottom. Some people go an extra step and then place a layer of damp verm on the now top side of the cake. Thus creating a "cased" cake. This helps yield a bit cause it gives the cake a little extra water. But, when a cake is first birthed, its supposed to be placed with the vermiculite layer on the bottom.

--------------------
If you will it, it is no dream.

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Re: The Perlite Side Does Go Up At Birthing [Re: bassplayer74]
    #668742 - 06/08/02 10:20 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

#668745 - 06/08/02 10:21 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

PF DOUBLE ENDED CAKE CASING TEK

http://www.fanaticus.com/casing.htm

--------------------

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#668754 - 06/08/02 10:32 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Then why do i keep seeing cakes with only fruits comming out of the very bottom and other cakes with fruits only comming out of the top?

--------------------

"I could walk up to the president and blow smoke in his stupid monkey face and all he could do is stand there grooving on it" - Homer Simpson

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

#668768 - 06/08/02 10:42 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Shrooms can grow from any area of a cake but they tend to prefer the areas where there is vermiculite. Thats why many people "case" their cakes. The verm layer acts as a moist microclimate which is ideal for primordia formation.

This is all documented on the the PF website and also on this website.

Instead of trying to prove all the "pros" on this website wrong, why don't you just follow their advice?

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #668786 - 06/08/02 11:12 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

Instead of trying to prove all the "pros" on this website wrong, why don't you just follow their advice?

Maybe because the "pros" can't seem to agree on anything. Which "pros" should he be listening to?

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Re: The Perlite Side Does Go Up At Birthing [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #668793 - 06/08/02 11:18 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Whichever "pros" told him to put the verm layer on the bottom. The "pros" he mentioned in his original post.

Besides, you don't need to be a "pro" to know that the verm goes down. And if your gonna use the double ended casing tek, then it doesn't really matter anyway.

--------------------

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #668826 - 06/08/02 11:56 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/scgt/SCGTv0.5.html#fruiting_and_harvesting

Under the "birthing" section of the above TEK is where I got my original info for keeping the cakes oriented as they were while incubating.

I think to satisfy my own curiosity I'll simply put a few of my cakes verm side down when I birth them and leave the rest in the proper orientation as they are now with the verm side up.

I'll let everyone know what I find out. To me it does seem that the shrooms are favoring the verm side of cakes with the cake side down BECAUSE that was the top of the cake in the incubators.

Love & Light,

Boppity

PS - Since I'll be using a Pod I think the fact of having the bare mycellium bottom on the Geolite would also be better than for the moisture to fight through the verm...perhaps I'll just do my first grow with all the verm sides up.

Edited by Boppity604 (06/08/02 12:04 PM)

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Re: The Perlite Side Does Go Up At Birthing [Re: Boppity604]
    #668831 - 06/08/02 12:02 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Verm goes down...Every picture in that link you gave shows the verm on the bottom.

--------------------

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #668836 - 06/08/02 12:06 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Nowhere does he state that the pictures of the cakes in the TEK were grown following the TEKs procedures. Look at the credits for those pictures you reference. They were submitted to add to the TEK.

Love & Light,

Boppity

InvisibleFd3000
I'll eat YOU!

#668842 - 06/08/02 12:11 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Everyone does it differently, some of the pics in that link showed the verm side on top.

Some more opinions would be nice.....

--------------------

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

#668845 - 06/08/02 12:14 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

#668847 - 06/08/02 12:17 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

some of the pics in that link showed the verm side on top.

Which ones...I dont see any.

--------------------

InvisibleBoppity604
Stranger
    #668859 - 06/08/02 12:27 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Bass, I'm not asking for pics of cakes that grow with the verm side down...I realize they do. According to the TEK I linked to earlier in this thread he states that the shrooms will naturally grow towards the top of the cake as it was oriented during incubation. When mycellium are in the ground in nature they apparently know to grow away from gravity and breech through the soil to then be exposed to the environment which will signal pinning/fruiting. If you notice on those pictures you've linked us to they all support that author's viewpoint. They were incubated (most likely) with the verm side up and now all the majority of shrooms are growing from that side of the cake even though it's flipped upside down. According to the same TEK linked above, the author states that this can hinder the amount of shrooms the cake will fruit. I can only speak for myself, but I was asking for TEK/written evidence supporting why the verm side should be face down. Not just "because a pro said so." I'm not asking to argue or be a smart-ass either, I'm trying to learn as much about mycology as possible...and I'd like to see evidence that supports why the verm side should face down.

Thanks for the links though...those are some pretty shroom pics.

Love & Light,

Boppity

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

#668877 - 06/08/02 12:43 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

the shrooms will naturally grow towards the top of the cake as it was oriented during incubation.

This is not true.
In reply to:

they apparently know to grow away from gravity and breech through the soil to then be exposed to the environment which will signal pinning/fruiting.

Gravity has nothing to do with it. The mycelium will grow in any direction where it can gain nutrients. When it finally does reach an area where fruiting conditions are correct, then it will fruit. Gravity is not a factor at all.
In reply to:

If you notice on those pictures you've linked us to they all support that author's viewpoint.

Those pics are not just from one person. The first ones were done by PF, the INVENTOR of the tek.
In reply to:

They were incubated (most likely) with the verm side up and now all the majority of shrooms are growing from that side of the cake even though it's flipped upside down.

An incubator should be dark. Fruiting WILL NOT occur until the cakes are given light, therefore it does not matter how they were orientated in the incubator.
In reply to:

According to the same TEK linked above, the author states that this can hinder the amount of shrooms the cake will fruit.

The only thing thats gonna hinder your fruiting is if you put the bare mycelium side down. Then youre gonna have bare mycelium sitting on tinfoil? How can that be good?
In reply to:

I can only speak for myself, but I was asking for TEK/written evidence supporting why the verm side should be face down.

http://www.fanaticus.com/index.htm
In reply to:

I'm not asking to argue or be a smart-ass either, I'm trying to learn as much about mycology as possible

Same here...I just already know that the verm side goes down....as do many others....Personally, I use the doulbe ended tek...It works great and it really doesnt matter what way the cake is.

I'm really trying to help here....if this post doesnt get any other opinions try another post worded different or maybe a poll or something...

--------------------

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #669252 - 06/08/02 07:16 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Verm side down!!!

lolz

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Offlinebassplayer74
old hand

Re: The Perlite Side Does Go Up At Birthing [Re: Roadkill]
    #669820 - 06/09/02 09:29 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

THANKS ROAD!

I know you are the king of f-ing cakes too!!! LOL

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #669824 - 06/09/02 09:36 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I too put the verm side down.
If you birth the cake by sliding the cake out of the jar, this is the only way it will come out.

Offlinestraightbangin
Re: The Perlite Side Does Go Up At Birthing [Re: Anno]
    #669840 - 06/09/02 09:46 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

i like verm side down

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds