Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleSillicybin
Loc: Flag
Interesting article regarding the fight against the MEAN GREEN
    #6686389 - 03/19/07 08:03 AM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Green moulds and bacterial blotch affect the productiton and quality of commercial mushrooms ( Agaricus bisporus) in Canada. The University of Guelph and Brock University have collaboratively sought to understand these diseases and assist the mushroom growers of Canada through applied research. Trichoderma aggressivum f. aggressivum, a green mould, directly reduces mushroom yield through growth inhibition. The extent of yeild loss is dependent on host strain present; brown strains are less affected than white strains. Extracellular chitinases and volatile antifungal metabolites produced by T. aggressivum have been implicated as inhibitory factors. Exhaustive sanitation and hygiene management limit the spread of the disease. Chemically, green mould disease can only be managed preventatively by coating the spawn grains with benzimidazole fungicides. Other Trichoderma species affect mushroom quality by spotting the mushrooms prior to or after harvest. The benzimidazole fungicides are efficacious in lowering the endemic Trichoderma populations in the casing materials.

RR, and other experimenters - anyone done any trials with these fungicides?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Interesting article regarding the fight against the MEAN GREEN [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6686397 - 03/19/07 08:13 AM (17 years, 14 days ago)

I could be wrong but considering we are trying to grow fungi my guess is that fungicide is not a good idea

Offlinebwoy
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Granada, Andalusia
Re: Interesting article regarding the fight against the MEAN GREEN [Re: Blutjager]
    #6686769 - 03/19/07 11:48 AM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
I could be wrong but considering we are trying to grow fungi my guess is that fungicide is not a good idea

Did you actually read the article?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Interesting article regarding the fight against the MEAN GREEN [Re: Blutjager]
    #6686775 - 03/19/07 11:50 AM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Yes, I ran many experiments with fungicides a few years ago.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/1852470#Post1852470
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5143032#Post5143032
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5391173#Post5391173

This last link contains a link to an article by the US Environmental Protection Agency that gives more information on the active ingredient in Banrot. I mostly ran these tests as an experiment when I was still active on a different board so the information was posted there. Unfortunately, they don't back up their data before upgrades, so most of that information on my tests got wiped out. I'm an organic gardener and mushroom grower so don't advocate chemical cures for proper procedure. Banrot 40_wp is so powerful you can put it in a jar of grains prior to sterilization, then leave it sitting out with the lid off in a dirty room and it won't grow mold, but if you put live mycelium into the jar it will grow unaffected. However, it's a chemical cure for laziness so I don't recommend it. Just use proper procedure, then toss out contaminated projects.

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleSillicybin
Re: Interesting article regarding the fight against the MEAN GREEN [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6686808 - 03/19/07 12:04 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Beautiful!  Thank you, RR - exactly what I was looking for.

I'm not looking at it as a bulk substrate additive, but perhaps as a possible agar or LC additive.

I haven't had a problem with trich for quite some time (ever since I began pH balancing substrates and casing materials... imagine that!) but I was thinking that my luck has to run out sometime. :biggrin:

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Interesting article regarding the fight against the MEAN GREEN [Re: bwoy]
    #6686842 - 03/19/07 12:15 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

Quote:

bwoy said:
Quote:

Blutjager said:

Did you actually read the article?

Apparently not good enough:lol:

The only time I have contamination it is in the jars,not after spawning so this stuff would be useless cause it prevents spores from germination and would kill the mushroom spores as well ??

It is only added to substrate when spawning.So it is really better suited for someone who has problems with they substrates/casing layers

InvisibleSillicybin
    #6686850 - 03/19/07 12:19 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

If you use LC, you can still use it in your grain spawn jars. Once the spores are past the germination point, they won't be killed off by the fungicide.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Interesting article regarding the fight against the MEAN GREEN [Re: Sillicybin]
    #6686869 - 03/19/07 12:27 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

This stuff is fascinating,I just went searching around and its easy to find as well.Damn expensive though so I'm not sure if I'm going to order it right away or even ever order it at all but providing it doesn't put anything harmful into the mushrooms I have to say that it sure is a nice idea to know you can make up jars and not even have to worry about them going green:rockon:

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6686904 - 03/19/07 12:39 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

OK,RR,I just went and read all the links that you posted on this and I am curious as to how much of this stuff would be added,I assume a very small amount so that actually makes the price seem not so steep because a bag of it would last for a long time

Also I saw you mention rhododendron leaves,just where does one order these from,is there any place or would you need to grow the plant and do everything yourself

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6687175 - 03/19/07 01:40 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

I live in Seattle where just about everyone has rhododendrons in their flowerbeds, and they're all over in the parks.  In fact, they're one of the indicator species for locating P. cyanescens, but that's a different topic. :wink:  I just pick and dry the leaves, and use them at up to 10% the volume of the peat in the casing material.

It seems I used 1 tablespoon of Banrot per the several gallons I soaked the 10 cups of rye berries in overnight prior to PC'ing.  It's been awhile, so you might search some more and find the posts that I wrote when my memory was still fresh on it.  I found those links in about 30 seconds by using the 'search posts' feature, then cliking on 'advanced mycology' and placing my username in the appropriate box.  You might find a few hits here in cultivation as well.

I don't recommend using chemicals to cover for sloppy technique though.  Proper attention to sterile technique when preparing jars, proper pasteurization, NOT sterilization of substrate and casing mixes, and proper air exchange will all but eliminate trich anyway.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6687287 - 03/19/07 01:59 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract