Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinearyah
Stranger

Re: Buddhism? [Re: Sinbad]
    #6685090 - 03/18/07 10:35 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

thx! :smile:

Quote:

It is more of a Hinayana traditional perspective when talking of lay people only being passive. You don't get that so much in traditions that emphasize more  Mahayana of Vajrayana vehicles.

true, but I meant, lay people often choose themselves a somewhat passive role in a 'domesticated' religion - any religion - most Im sure strive to lead a good life and meditate for its everyday worldly benefits and as liberatory habit (for another life), and try to make karmic connections with the Dharma and teachers -  and this is a reasonable and positive thing - but rare choose a life of for instance a yogi and go up the mountains to live in a cave or on charnal grounds to do bizzare things in the company of dakinis :wink:

Quote:

The question in the story about the monk was something like "where do the four great elements cease and are exhausted?" :smile:

:smile: yes! thx for the reminder!

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Buddhism? [Re: mushroomplume]
    #6685217 - 03/18/07 11:06 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

I realize I'm getting a little off topic, but it's interesting if you look at the attitude of Hinduism(particularly Vaishnavism) towards Buddhism. They consider the Buddha to be one of the ten great avatars of Vishnu, and thus appear outwardly to have great respect for Buddhism. When asked why they consider him an avatar, they will speak about how he taught compassion and non-violence. But when you get further into it, you discover that he is called the Avatar of Delusion. They teach that he came at a time when demons(Asuras) were becoming powerful and upsetting the balance of the universe, so he deluded them into believing there was not God, disarming them with disinformation.

--------------------

Offlinearyah
Stranger

Re: Buddhism? [Re: Silversoul]
    #6685234 - 03/18/07 11:11 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
I realize I'm getting a little off topic, but it's interesting if you look at the attitude of Hinduism(particularly Vaishnavism) towards Buddhism. They consider the Buddha to be one of the ten great avatars of Vishnu, and thus appear outwardly to have great respect for Buddhism. When asked why they consider him an avatar, they will speak about how he taught compassion and non-violence. But when you get further into it, you discover that he is called the Avatar of Delusion. They teach that he came at a time when demons(Asuras) were becoming powerful and upsetting the balance of the universe, so he deluded them into believing there was not God, disarming them with disinformation.

I thought it was about convincing Brahmins of the time not to do animal sacrifices, not about Asuras, according to them?

In any case, with Shaivism, they coexisted in reasonable tolerance, finally merging in Indonesia and still coexist somewhat mixed currently in Nepal.

Edited by aryah (03/18/07 11:15 PM)

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
Re: Buddhism? [Re: aryah]
    #6685237 - 03/18/07 11:12 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Eh, I'm a bit sketchy about the details. Point is, what appears outwardly to be great respect turns out to be utter contempt.

--------------------

Offlinearyah
Stranger

#6685250 - 03/18/07 11:18 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:
Eh, I'm a bit sketchy about the details. Point is, what appears outwardly to be great respect turns out to be utter contempt.

Its supersessionist tactics on vaishavist part essentially. Same thing theravada accuses mahayana of (well, not that extreme in this case, it does not have that element of contempt for the teachings, just trying to give examples along the way to illustrate my previous note on sectarian strife). If people choose to, it could be transformed from that ambivalent seed into genuine respect. Changing established myths is far more difficult than interpreting them differently, or emphasizing them differently.

In any case, in the case of Ambedkarite buddhists, the verbal hostility is mutual,and not even slightly hidden, here on caste basis.

Edited by aryah (03/18/07 11:28 PM)

Offlineonlynow
transformativeinformativeenergy
Male User Gallery

Re: Buddhism? [Re: mushroomplume]
    #6685329 - 03/18/07 11:42 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

the flaws lie within the interpretor.  the merits lie within those who can cultivate buddhahood and experience the truth contained within the buddhist scriptures.  anything with much concept can have flaws, because who knows who is reading it right?  like the bible, there is truth and there is story, depending on the reader.

taoism is my favorite, there is so much to practise, so much buddhahood to attain.  but im not a taoist.  :grin:

i have found semen retention (as weird as it sounds) the most important part in evolving one's spirit/soul/awareness/consciousness/self-expression/creativity/etc.  it is the seed that can be used physically to make a baby, and it can be used spiritually to make the reality you share with others a blissful, enlightening experience.  /woops off topic

Quote:

Semen retention exercises are very simple to do, and take very little time. The exercises are done in the evening when you're going to bed. You will also practice all day whenever you have to urinate. Then there are the exercises that you have to practice while you are making love. In the beginning you will start notice that you can last longer with your lover, as you continue with the exercises, you will have control over your orgasm, and ejaculate when you want to. Early in the practice of semen retention, you will last 15 to 25 minutes, as you progress, you will find yourself lasting 45 minutes to an hour! Keep doing the exercises and when you reach climax, you will feel the orgasm, but you will not ejaculate.

--------------------

Strive to be more than a codified manifestation of a generalized technological consciousness

Edited by onlynow (03/18/07 11:48 PM)

Offlinearyah
Stranger

#6685342 - 03/18/07 11:46 PM (14 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Silversoul said:

google-ing about this, seems were both right - the assertion was that in fact the people of the time were atheists in everything but form, and the brahmins were also said to be in fact Asuras. Thus doing the animal sacrifices.
Seems they praise Buddhism for its ethics only, and leading people of the time to ethical life, and consider the atheist note of the teachings only as 'missionary tactics'. Some say the same of Shankaracharya; I think its a slippery slope to assert gods habitually engage in completely deluding the people and propagating complete lies.
Also by implication though not by word, for its contribution in creation of hinduism as we know it - its mentioned as a 'stepping stone' (in ethics) towards Shankaracharya's understanding, hinduist in modern sense of the term and rather distinct from vedic hinduism, and in fact Nagarjunas dialectics did strongly influence Shankaracharya's thought, and it is explicitly discussed (and 'refuted' of course).

Edited by aryah (03/18/07 11:51 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Premium Bali Kratom Powder