Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinexxjokerxx1
Stranger
 User Gallery

whats with the gold flakes
    #6681312 - 03/17/07 06:46 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

i took some mushrooms 2 years ago that had gold flakes all over them they were homegrown and it was the hardest trip ever, pure superman trip, im trying to figure if anyone has any ideas of what the gold flakes were and if they had any impact on the power of the trip and what type of mushrooms you can grow that will produce these gold flakes, basically im trying to grow some of my own gold flake mushrooms so i can have another mind blowing experience

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInfested
Stranger
Male

Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: xxjokerxx1]
    #6681319 - 03/17/07 06:48 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

Vermiculite crystals. its nothing special. I asked this question before.

Its not a a certain strain of mushrooms

Nor does it mean they are more potent.

Just means it was on vermiculite based substrate.

OfflineWasteland
Elektromeister!
Male User Gallery

Loc: A pathetic small town in ...
Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: Infested]
    #6681523 - 03/17/07 08:08 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

For others as clueless as I.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vermiculite

--------------------
The Mad Shroomer said:
People are always promising the apocalypse. They never deliver. :frown:

Offlineschmutzen
King of the side-pins
 User Gallery

Loc: Miss Kitty's Lounge
Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: Wasteland]
    #6681751 - 03/17/07 09:42 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

I always scrape 'em off before giving them away. 

Basically they're a means of holding moisture, when growing this helps the mushrooms reproduce in larger quantities. 

It's a volcanic rock and doesn't affect the body while passing through, unless inhaled in which case it would be dangerous as they contain asbestos.

Often refered to as 'the glitter shits'. :tongue:

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: schmutzen]
    #6681857 - 03/17/07 10:12 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

"unless inhaled in which case it would be dangerous as they contain asbestos."

There was one mine (I believe), at some point, which was shut down due to asbestos. So, bags started having "asbestos free" printed on the cover to assure customers. There's nothing to worry about with verm. Perlite dust, however, you don't want to inhale. Still no asbestos though.

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflinePupenhause
Toughguy
Male User Gallery
Loc: over here
Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #6681942 - 03/17/07 10:52 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

its not really a good idea to inhale anything usually.

Offlinejenerikcairet
cognitivelibertist
 User Gallery

Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: Pupenhause]
    #6682272 - 03/18/07 12:32 AM (17 years, 16 days ago)

verniculite is just something sometimes used to grow mushrooms...it does not make them any more potent.

--------------------
Yes, ordinary water. Laced with nothing more than a few spoons full of LSD- professor farsnworth

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: Pupenhause]
    #6684374 - 03/18/07 04:56 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

Pupenhause said:
its not really a good idea to inhale anything usually.

blasphemy

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: jenerikcairet]
    #6684412 - 03/18/07 05:09 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

jenerikcairet said:
verniculite is just something sometimes used to grow mushrooms...it does not make them any more potent.

It makes them less potent.

Everyone knows for quality potent mushrooms you have to grow on shit. :grin:

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

InvisibleKoala Koolio
TTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGGTTAGGG

Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: Cepheus]
    #6684500 - 03/18/07 05:30 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Prove it.  I've seen zero evidence of this.  In fact, I've seen zero evidence that substrate plays a roll in potency, provided the basic requirements of the mycelium are met.  My isolates produce equal potency regardless of substrate, therefore I say potency is strain related.
RR

:laugh:

Just causing trouble. :smile:

--------------------
You're not like the others. You like the same things I do. Wax paper, boiled football leather... dog breath. We're not hitch-hiking anymore, we're riding!

OfflineCepheus
Balance
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the space between reality...
Re: whats with the gold flakes [Re: Koala Koolio]
    #6684547 - 03/18/07 05:38 PM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Now for my counter argument :

Quote:

FastFred said:
> things vary so much between grows its really hard to pinpoint any particular factor as contributing.

That's true. That fact tends to obscure the fact the substrate DOES affect potency.

> You don't find any experienced growers making the claim that brf produces less potent mushrooms, only new growers

Ah... RR is up on one of his favorite soapboxes again I see. Sorry RR, even though you have far more experience than probably anyone else here, you are wrong. And what's worse is that you seem to repeatedly fall into the dishonest tactic of saying that anyone who doesn't agree with you is inexperienced and doesn't know what they are talking about.

There are several very experienced growers here who do believe that substrate affects potency. I know you are aware of them, so it's very disturbing to see you ripping on them.

The fact is that substrate DOES affect potency. That's not speculation, it's proven fact. I hate to see you spreading disinformation like this RR because you have a lot of knowledge to share and it denigrates your credibility to refuse to accept this.

The experiences I have had make me quite certain that rye produces mushrooms significantly more potent than BRF. We could continue to argue and speculate based on such subjective opinions and experiences, but it's not necessary because others HAVE done the research required to establish the potency vs substrate issue beyond doubt.

I refer you to the following article. I have this on hand if anyone is unable to get it through standard means.

The relationship of carbon and nitrogen nutrition of Psilocybe baeocystis to the production of psilocybin and its analogs.
Lloydia. 1969 Mar;32(1):66-71.
Leung AY, Paul AG.

That paper clearly demonstrates a relationship between nutrition and potency. It doesn't directly cover growth on solid mediums or using standard standard substrates, but it does establish a relationship.

For research done on actual commonly used substrates I refer you to the following article.

Nutritional Influences on Growth and Psychedelic Biosynthesis
Psychedelic Monographs and Essays Volume 6
C.B. Gold

C.B. Gold is the only person AFAIK to have actually tested mushrooms grown on different substrates. His conclusion is that is DOES have an effect on potency. If you're interested in his methods I refer you to the following link.

http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/mushrooms_article2.shtml

So as you can see, the people who have actually done the research on this issue are of the opinion that substrate affects potency. The experienced growers here split on the issue. Contrary to what RR would have you believe, there is no consensus on this issue amongst the experienced here. However the science is clear on the issue substrate affects potency!

You are what you eat, and the same is true of mushrooms. Nutrition affects all life and this should be apparent to people with even the most basic knowledge of the cultivation of anything.

:grin:

--------------------
"I only ever hope to reach equilibrium, in Nature's matrix, in line with the meridian" ~ Jehst

:sun: "...and I know that I have to keep breathing, as tomorrow the sun will rise, who knows what the tide will bring?" :sun:

Free Spore Ring Europe
Send any spare spore prints you might have and help the distribution :grin:

Open Source. Freedom.  GNU/Linux

Addicting is not a word.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds