Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSkryllz
Resident lurker
mycobags possible contam
    #665214 - 06/06/02 03:13 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I have 9 mycobags, over the last few days 5 of them have reached about 90-95% colonization. At about this point they have allstarted to smell sort of wierd. They changed from having an earthy grain type smell to having a sweet/sour smell. This smell doesn't really smell bad just different. The first three to do this I took out of my incubator for a day or two and oput them in a closet, after a day the smell is either gone or almost gone. Is this a contamination? There have been blue green spots in one of the bags and a yellowish spot or two in two bags. I'm confused cause both these colors can be natural in mycelium and both can mean contamination. I'd appreciate any info you guys can give me, it's my first time growing and all my colonizing bags have possibly gotten contams.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: mycobags possible contam [Re: Skryllz]
    #667842 - 06/07/02 05:04 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

It sounds like they are fine to me. The blue is probably just bruising due to handling or drying. The yellow is likely normal metabolic waste which can build up when incubated at high temperatures. The grain smell changes to a sweetish rank fungal smell as the mycelium matures. The smell is similar to storebought mushrooms with the acrid tang of Psilocybe cubensis.

Since there is nothing you can do to save the bags if they are contaminated and they will fruit if not contaminated and left alone, I suggest just waiting to see what happens next. Contamination or fruiting will become more obvious in time. Good luck!

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineSkryllz
Resident lurker
Re: mycobags possible contam [Re: Workman]
    #668026 - 06/07/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, I've never heard of them getting a sweet smell in the late stages of colonization and that was what really worried me. They got almost to 100% then started smelling sweet. So the tangy smell is completely normal and some of the blue is possibly bruising, If I sent you a picture could you possibly confirm this for me? Thanks.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #669498 - 06/09/02 04:44 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thge sweet/spour smell is from an anaerobic bacteria. Giving them lots of fresh air can stunt the growth of this bad boy if not too far gone. I have had a lot of trouble with filter bags giving enough air exchange.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #675584 - 06/12/02 06:04 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Bacterial contaminated can smell sweet or sour, but not fungusy. If the bluing were mold, it wouldn't smell sweet but more like an old attic. If you are incubating at too high of temperature you can get the generation of excess mushroom metabolites which are mostly alcohols which can then feed vinegar forming bacteria which smells sour (like vinegar). Lowering the temperature reduces metabolites and the sour smell dissapears.

If the image is of high enough resolution I should be able to tell if its moldy or not. Either way, just put them somewhere not too warm and leave them alone. Check once in awhile for shrooms. Bacteria is ok if the bags are not overheated and the mycelium continues to grow, even if only slowly.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineSkryllz
Resident lurker
Re: mycobags possible contam [Re: Workman]
    #677878 - 06/14/02 06:58 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I got pins in 2 bags and the mycelium has continued to grow, I have lowered the temps and the sweet smell is still there. I don't think they are getting enough air exchange because some of them are looking like they'll be fatasses. I'm almost sure the blue green is just bruising because it doesn't spread, there are just small spots of it where the mycelium touches the bag, and its just on the surface. So hypothetically if the mushies are still growing and the mycelium continued to grow after this smell appeared they are ok to eat?

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #681466 - 06/16/02 06:20 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, your bags are fine as I suspected. Don't expect pretty mushrooms. The bags work but the mushrooms tend to be distorted. Later flushes will look better.

--------------------
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag