Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinetheduke
Metal Mushie
Male

Loc: Middle of Nowhere
First Presidential Candidate to Support Medical Marijuana
    #6677089 - 03/16/07 04:25 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070315/ap_on_el_pr/richardson_medical_marijuana

Richardson to legalize medical marijuana

SANTA FE, N.M. - Democratic Gov. Bill Richardson, poised to sign a bill making New Mexico the 12th state to legalize medical marijuana, said Thursday he realizes his action could become an issue in the presidential race.

"So what if it's risky? It's the right thing to do," said Richardson, one of the candidates in the crowded 2008 field. "What we're talking about is 160 people in deep pain. It only affects them."

The legislation would create a program under which some patients — with a doctor's recommendation — could use marijuana provided by the state health department. Lawmakers approved the bill Wednesday. The governor is expected to sign it in the next few weeks.

Richardson has supported the proposal since he first ran in 2002. But he pushed especially hard for it this year, leaning on some Democrats to change their votes after the bill initially failed.

"Give him credit. It's not something you do because you're going to garner great political support for it. It is a bit controversial," said Thomas Mann, a political analyst at the Brookings Institution in Washington. By the same token, Mann says, it is not likely to hurt him in the Democratic contests.

"If he were to surprise us all and actually win the Democratic nomination, he's got an interesting mix of positions" that would not be undercut by his support of medical marijuana, Mann said.

"It's an interesting risk," added Lonna Atkeson, professor of political science at the University of New Mexico. "I'm somewhat surprised, because I think he's sort of cautious, usually."

A majority of the states that have legalized medical marijuana are in the West, and Atkeson suggested his position could play well in the region. But it could also give Richardson's rivals a potential issue to focus on.

Drug Policy Alliance New Mexico said Richardson will be the first presidential candidate ever to advocate medical marijuana "by vocally supporting and signing legislation."

In signing the measure, Richardson "will be sending a strong message that states can and should exercise their right to do what is in the best interest of their citizens free from intrusion from the Federal government," said Reena Szczepanski of the advocacy group.

Richardson said he has been asked about the issue by only a few voters while campaigning in Iowa. He said the White House had urged him not to sign the bill.

"I don't see it as being a big issue," he said. "This is for medicinal purpose, for ... people that are suffering. My God, let's be reasonable," he said.

The federal government declares marijuana an illegal controlled substance with no medical value.

A federal appeals court in San Francisco ruled on Wednesday that a woman whose doctor says marijuana is the only medicine keeping her alive can face federal prosecution on drug charges.

The Supreme Court ruled against the woman two years ago, saying medical marijuana users and their suppliers could be prosecuted for breaching federal drug laws even if they lived in a state such as California where medical pot is legal.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: First Presidential Candidate to Support Medical Marijuana [Re: theduke]
    #6677438 - 03/16/07 06:29 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

steve kubby and ron paul both presidential candidates for 08 support marijuana use, both recreationally and medically. check them out, i personally support kubby, but i dont want to press my personal political beliefs on others.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: First Presidential Candidate to Support Medical Marijuana [Re: highdroponics]
    #6677510 - 03/16/07 06:51 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Dennis Kucinich surely supports medicinal marijuana - he supports ending the War On Drugs. :cool:

I don't think he will win because I never hear him get mentioned much, but I hope he ends up as a potential vice president. He has a lot of issues that he is motivated behind, and you can tell he's actually real. He'd be like the Jedi Vice President as compared to Darth Cheney. :lol:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

#6677538 - 03/16/07 06:58 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Now let's just hope they don't fuck it all up like California did. If they're going to regulate and license medical marijuana they better not just be giving cards out to any bloke with $50 and a semi-convincing story.

The bad apples in Cali are really pissing all over the efforts of the movement.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: First Presidential Candidate to Support Medical Marijuana [Re: DNKYD]
    #6677704 - 03/16/07 07:34 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah but it is California; I'm sure they are on the verge of legalizing it entirely, anyways. :cool:

I mean, with the considerable Hispanic and black population and all; you know they are down with the pot. :smirk:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleFoURtWeNTy420
Infinite Conciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miami
Re: First Presidential Candidate to Support Medical Marijuana [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6677987 - 03/16/07 09:14 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

hey hes got my vote as long as he does this in more states than juss N.M.

--------------------
---------------------
I support drug testing, which drug should i test today?

OfflineMahayana
Bodhisattva
Male User Gallery

Re: First Presidential Candidate to Support Medical Marijuana [Re: FoURtWeNTy420]
    #6682684 - 03/18/07 08:39 AM (14 years, 1 month ago)

In my opinion it should at least be decriminalized , where I live in the south eastern us its severe to even be cought with a roach. While in prison I met people serving 15- 20 for under a ounce. Yet sex offenders were making parole on a monthly basis.

--------------------
The river of Zen is quiet,even in the waves;
the water of stability is clear, even in the waves.

InvisibleCloud9
I don't feel, and it feels great
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: between here and there
    #6683066 - 03/18/07 12:57 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

theduke said:

"So what if it's risky? It's the right thing to do,"

these upcoming elections i think will be the most interesting yet. (in my lifetime anyway) it's still some time away but it's been all over the news and the internet.

--------------------

InvisibleMistaUNGA
green crack GREEN CRACK!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Kalifornien, im Süden...
Re: First Presidential Candidate to Support Medical Marijuana [Re: Cloud9]
    #6684327 - 03/18/07 06:40 PM (14 years, 1 month ago)

Ron Paul for Pres 2008.

Check him out on cannibisculture.com

--------------------
:gc:
Madtowntripper said:Or just give her a cloroform soaked rag and tell her it's ether!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service