Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
RR PC Pasteurizing Bulk Substrate Jars- Too wet? re-PC with Lids or add Vermiculite to Monotub???
    #6676159 - 03/16/07 09:00 AM (17 years, 3 days ago)

Hi Shroomery peeps,

Please help...

In a real deep pickle here for a first attempt.  This post's subject says it all but please read on for details if you can help.

Thanks!

Short Version:
Scenario: I used PC Pasteurizing Poo/Coir Jars Method as per RR advice (see link below):

Problem: PC Pasteurized Jars now appear to bit a bit too wet (maybe water leaked in through foil only lids somehow?)

Question: Can I just add a little dry vermiculite when I go to mix PC'd bulk substrate with spawn in monotub or should I just empty the jars, squeeze out the excess moisture back to field capacity and re PC Jars with lids on and according to updated RR PC Pasteurizing Tek (where PC lid is kept on but PC Weight is kept off)???

If I simply add dry vermiculite should I PC sterilize or pasteurize it first?  If so, how long/what PSI?

Detailed Version:

I used RR's PC Jar Pasteurizing Substrate (HPoo/Coir) method as seen here:
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5132611#Post5132611

That was before finding this updated RR thread: ( DOH!!! :banghead: )
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5998572#Post5998572
Here RR says PC Pasteurize with Lid on and Weight off.

I only brought it to a Boil once although I believe my All American 910 PC is as thick as RR's since he has a AA 921 although I'm not sure.

Should I just open the jars up, squeeze some excess moisture out and try the RR method with the PC/Jar lids ON along with PC weight OFF and bringing to only 1 boil?  Or will this over pasteurize since I already brought them to a boil once as described above?

Important Note: The jars have cooled for about 7 hours now and they need to be mixed with Spawn in Monotub today before going bad.

Please note that originally I very securely placed only foil over the jar mouths with no jar lids after the bulk substrate was added to jars at CORRECT field capacity.  However, I think somehow water may have seeped in unless a 1/4" of water pooling at the bottom of jars after PC Pasteurizing is normal.  This is my first time using this method. 

Further Details:

An All American 910 PC was used with the Lid off along with the 4 Quart Substrate Jars on a canning rack and after boiling for 5 minutes, the heat turned off and lid placed on (without weight) for 2 hours.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

--------------------
My way of giving back- Thanks Shroomery...
A For Newbs by Newbs Cultivation Resource Journal: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6748262/an/0/page/0

Edited by eltrkbrd (03/16/07 09:06 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: RR PC Pasteurizing Bulk Substrate Jars- Too wet? re-PC with Lids or add Vermiculite to Monotub?? [Re: eltrkbrd]
    #6676341 - 03/16/07 10:42 AM (17 years, 3 days ago)

You can add vermiculite straight to the poo while spawning, or squeeze it out before spawning.

You choose. I haven't had any problems adding medium grade vermiculite straight to pasteurized poo that's been left on an oven rack over the kitchen sink for 36 hours.

That casing is actually knotting right now. my others I just squeezed the extra water out, and the one with verm was the last one I made with the leftover poo just to make it bulked up a bit more, and so I didn't toss the poo to waste.

Unfortunately, my last one with verm is the only one that didn't decide to go cobweb then green in a matter of 3 days during the casing run, because I didn't case the damn thing and just dropped some moistened verm on the bottom of it after flipping it outta it's tub onto a sterlite lid. (wanted to see how treating it like a giant cake would work out) Wasn't expecting my other 4 fucking casings to go green.

I've had 0 luck with MGMC as a casing, pasteurized or sterilized, I'm back to 50/50+

Other people have had great success with it, so I guess I just suck, lol.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: RR PC Pasteurizing Bulk Substrate Jars- Too wet? re-PC with Lids or add Vermiculite to Monotub?? [Re: Eraserhead]
    #6676443 - 03/16/07 11:31 AM (17 years, 3 days ago)

Both procedures in those links are essentially the same. Sometimes when typing I toss things in that I assume would be known. You need a meat thermometer the first time or two you do that procedure. You can get one for five bucks or less at the grocery store. The weight or lid on/off has nothing to do with the moisture content of your jars. You need to get that adjusted prior to heat treating.

I did a video tek on this procedure for my upcoming dvd, so when I get it finished and released it will help the visual learners I'm sure to see the actual procedure and watch the thermometer.

Put a meat thermometer into the center of one of your jars of substrate/casing. You don't need a lid on the jar if you don't want, foil works just as well. Stick the meat thermometer through the foil and into the center of the jar.

Have COLD water in the kettle or PC 2/3 of the way up the jars. Turn on the stove. Allow the water to boil JUST until the thermometer in the jar reads 140F/60C. Shut off the stove and start your timer for 1 hour. The jar will continue to heat to around 150F to 160F, then begin to decrease. If the temp drops to 140F prior to one hour, simply turn on the stove and bring it back up again. At the end of one hour, the jars can be removed, and in another couple of hours they'll be cool enough to use.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
Re: RR PC Pasteurizing Bulk Substrate Jars- Too wet? re-PC with Lids or add Vermiculite to Monotub?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6676531 - 03/16/07 11:57 AM (17 years, 3 days ago)

I didn't use a thermometer but I have one.

Are you suggesting since the jars have now cooled for 12 hours that I just strain, squeeze out excess moisture bringing to field capacity, and then re-pc using thermometer through foil as you described above?

Thanks again! :smile:

--------------------
A For Newbs by Newbs Cultivation Resource Journal: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/6748262/an/0/page/0

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: RR PC Pasteurizing Bulk Substrate Jars- Too wet? re-PC with Lids or add Vermiculite to Monotub?? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6676541 - 03/16/07 11:58 AM (17 years, 3 days ago)

Hey RR it sure seems like you are going to have a ton of info on that dvd,any rough estimate on to how long it is going to be

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: RR PC Pasteurizing Bulk Substrate Jars- Too wet? re-PC with Lids or add Vermiculite to Monotub?? [Re: Blutjager]
    #6676617 - 03/16/07 12:17 PM (17 years, 3 days ago)

Every estimate I've tried to make has been wrong. Filming of all the mushroom stuff is complete, and has been for weeks. I'm doing the hard part now, because I'm having to learn the software and graphics creation stuff as I go along. I'm kicking mrs rabbit out of the house this weekend, sending her to her sisters house, so I can be left alone to do the geek work without interruption. The biggest challenge is getting it cut back to a 2 DVD set. I'm trying to cut several hundred hours of raw footage to 4 hours, without losing the crux of the information.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineeltrkbrd
Stranger
Re: RR PC Pasteurizing Bulk Substrate Jars- Too wet? re-PC with Lids or add Vermiculite to Monotub?? [Re: Eraserhead]
    #6676642 - 03/16/07 12:27 PM (17 years, 3 days ago)

So, do I need to re-pasteurize the bulk substrate after squeezing out the excess moisture or do I just add directly to monotub and mix in the spawn?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags