Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDivine_Madness

Loc: The Netherlands
Krishnamurti
    #512943 - 01/07/02 06:59 AM (22 years, 2 months ago)

Ever read some stuff of him?
I just started (again) with reading a book from him, and I definitly recommend it to anyone here.
Though I would like to put a qoute here, I think its best if you just read some books of him...

--------------------
its all placebo

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDivine_Madness

Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Divine_Madness]
    #514455 - 01/08/02 02:11 PM (22 years, 2 months ago)

For the lazy asses:
http://www.krishnamurti.org
http://www.kinfonet.org/
And for those who dont know, he was more that just another philospher, though, he self does not like to be seen like this...

--------------------
its all placebo

Edited by Divine_Madness (01/08/02 02:16 PM)

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
    #662735 - 06/04/02 12:47 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I also tried to get people to read Krishnamurti on this board but people just arn't willing to check it out.

We should start a Shroomery Krishnamurti movement to raise awareness about Krishnamurti's work. Once people start reading it they will be glad they did.

OfflineNextGenHippie
enthusiast
Loc: MD, USA
    #663850 - 06/05/02 07:51 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

For the lazy asses:

I am too lazy to copy and paste. Please make them into hyperlinks.

--------------------
[pot]Think left and think right[pot]
[pot]and think low and think high[pot]
[pot]Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try[pot]
-Dr. Seuss

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #663878 - 06/05/02 08:08 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

His books are intellectually brilliant, yet somehow dry. I doubt if his writings have truly helped very many (if any!) to progress on the spiritual path.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Swami]
    #665235 - 06/06/02 03:31 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I couldnt disagree more with you, swami. Try reading "The Second Penguin Krishnamurti Reader". I couldn't put it down. And he has helped MANY progress on the spiritual path. Do you have any idea of how many people would go to his lectures and read his books. Not everyone who read his writing may have achieved absolute enlightenment but I'm sure he has helped EVERYONE who has UNDERSTOOD his writings. His writings have helped me beyond words, and I'm only 18. I seriously doubt that you have read very much of his or else you would see how helpful his writings are. He has probably helped more people than any other person in history (except for maybe Buddha, but Krishnamuti's writings are more helpful than Buddha's, because they are clearer, more thorough, and more specific).

So dont diss the guy before you have read at least a few of his books.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Buddha1]
    #665360 - 06/06/02 04:48 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Try reading "The Second Penguin Krishnamurti Reader". I couldn't put it down.
Many people felt that way about "Silence of the Lambs".

Do you have any idea of how many people would go to his lectures and read his books.
I understand how to form a question.

...but I'm sure he has helped EVERYONE who has UNDERSTOOD his writings.
*Sigh* Once again a tautlogy rises it's ugly head. So anyone who read his works and was not helped, obviously didn't understand. That is quite an egotistical statement and hardly indicative of a spiritually advanced state or an elightened mind.

His writings have helped me beyond words...
Words have helped you to go beyond words... amazing!

I seriously doubt that you have read very much of his or else you would see how helpful his writings are.
Your doubts have nothing to do with reality. (And please refrain from using your lame tautology once again!) I have throughly read a half dozen of his books and found them intellectually stimulating, but did not help me in any real-world fashion.

...but Krishnamuti's writings are more helpful than Buddha's...
As are Dr. Seuss' as the Buddha did no writings.

So dont diss the guy before you have read at least a few of his books.
I have read them and saying that they are dry is "dissing"?

I am most glad that you enjoyed them and found them helpful, but your inability to accept another's opinion reeks of evangelism.

--------------------

OfflineDivine_Madness

#666886 - 06/07/02 04:09 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Swami, you really need help.

I think you have greater inability in accepting others opinions than most on this board.

--------------------
its all placebo

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#666908 - 06/07/02 04:34 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I am most glad that you enjoyed them and found them helpful...
I guess that statement is not accepting of another's opinion compared to:

Meaning that no other opinion is even remotely possible.

Who has the more inflexible stance?

What type of help are you suggesting, DM? Perhaps I need to read yet another book?

--------------------

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Swami] * 1
    #667250 - 06/07/02 09:11 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

A few months ago, before I had read any Krishnamurti, I would have argued and defended my points. But that wont solve anything, we would both be wasting energy.

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: Divine_Madness] * 1
    #667810 - 06/07/02 04:44 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I have only read one Krishnamurti book (Total Freedom) and it completely challenged the way I think. There is one point I want to make with regards to his teachings.

You only get something out of Krishnamurti's teachings if you are willing to seriously think about what he is saying. I can tell a thousand people to read his books but what is the point if they don't care and aren't willing to see what he is saying? Passive readers will not learn anything useful from his books, and I do have to admit some it is very thought provoking to the point where it's easy to get lost if you don't take a step back and re-read a section again. Anyhow, I got my mom to read Total Freedom by just asking her questions that came to mind while I was reading the book. She got interested herself in what I was saying and picked up the book without me nagging her to do it.

Offlinedeepr
the dancer

Loc: nzl
    #673720 - 06/11/02 06:06 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

That is quite an egotistical statement and hardly indicative of a spiritually advanced state or an elightened mind.
did he say he was spiritually advanced? no. an 18 year old with an enlightened mind? what are you on about.. have you nothing better to do than try to quash opinions of people who have found happiness or truth and want to express it in some way in order to help others? yes you are older, are you really wiser... ? anyone who wants to post a general comment should be able to, without being grilled by your highness. Do you hold the rule book to the gate of spiritual awareness?

Words have helped you to go beyond words... amazing!
yes swami this is actually possible. although for instance the zen path usually places a greater emphasis on practice, rather than the inferior communication of language, many who have reached an enlightened state have been helped by reading texts such as the four noble truths or teachings associated with them. in effect, yes words help them to reach a situation only describable beyond words. amazing isnt it

As are Dr. Seuss' as the Buddha did no writings.
yes he got his ascetic 'disciples' to scribe them for him... this is what he meant, you should know this, you like to manipulate what people say..

but your inability to accept another's opinion reeks of evangelism.
likewise my troubled friend. may i recommend exercise, breathing practice, maybe intercourse is long overdue, and most of all be healthy...
using your stand-over tactics makes you an unlikely example of spiritual harmony, why not set a good example?

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Krishnamurti [Re: deepr]
    #673767 - 06/11/02 06:44 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

likewise my troubled friend. may i recommend exercise, breathing practice, maybe intercourse is long overdue, and most of all be healthy...
using your stand-over tactics makes you an unlikely example of spiritual harmony, why not set a good example?

Why not, indeed? I give my take on a book (the subject of this thread) and you ramble on about my sex life and physical conditioning, and give me a lecture while you violate the very principles of the subject of your lecture. Too funny!

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #674654 - 06/12/02 09:43 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I don't wish to get involved in any internecine squabbles here, but if I'm convinced of anything after persusing this thread it's that this material would be well worth the read...next time I order from Amazon I'll make a point of picking up one or two of the works mentioned......thanks

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Offlinegoatywoaty
THing of thing

Loc: caught in the storm of en...
    #675302 - 06/12/02 03:47 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

when things get so abstrained from the subject that they no longer matter, you must realize that nothing truly matters if it is done parralel to our own spirituality.

--------------------
[real.eyes.realize.real.lies]
the only reality is the one you make of it, for in the end it becomes what it always was.

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
    #675390 - 06/12/02 04:28 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

In reply to:

I am most glad that you enjoyed them and found them helpful...
I guess that statement is not accepting of another's opinion compared to:

Meaning that no other opinion is even remotely possible.

just to clear things up:

I never said that no other opinion is remotely possible. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. Judging by the way that you spoke of this subject it seemed that you have never read a book by Krishnamurti, or I am underestimating your intelligence and it you merely didn't understand what you read. But I'm sure you would understand, so I assumed that you have never read one of his books. Since you said you have read them, I was wrong, but it is obvious that you dont agree with what he says, or at least you dont make an effort to understand what he says. Again, I could be wrong, but it seems odd that a Krishnamurti reader would behave in the manner that you do. No hard feelings, but which books of his have you read? Also, do you agree with what he says? What don't you agree with, if anything? (Maybe we could have a REAL conversation on this matter, but if you would rather not, thats okay.)

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
Re: Krishnamurti [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #675396 - 06/12/02 04:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

FreakQlibrium, thats very good to hear. Be sure to post what you think.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#675792 - 06/12/02 08:56 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

...or I am underestimating your intelligence and it you merely didn't understand what you read.
Actually the correct phrasing would be that you OVER-ESTIMATED my intelligence, but an intelligent person would know the difference. Is that you, Yoda? (it you merely)?

But I'm sure you would understand, so I assumed that you have never read one of his books.
One of many incorrect assumptions.

Since you said you have read them, I was wrong,
Yes, you were.

...but it is obvious that you dont agree with what he says, or at least
Not obvious at all, reread my orginal post.

...you dont make an effort to understand what he says. (I never said that no other opinion is remotely possible. I don't know how you came to that conclusion. )
Gee, how did I come to that conclusion? If I am not a cheerleader for his books, then I either don't have the mental capacity to grok his insights or I am too lazy.

Lets review my options according to Buddha1:

A. Enamored with Krishnamurti's spiritually advanced and life-changing views

B. Insufficient neural horsepower

C. Lazy

I must have missed the part where he stated the importance of making rash judgements.

Again, I could be wrong,
Yes, you could.

but it seems odd that a Krishnamurti reader would behave in the manner that you do.
Funny that you didn't take the other Krishnamurti readers to task for getting personal. Because they found his writings useful, you can overlook their unacceptable social behaviour? Where is the evidence of these fantastic changes that come over everyone who reads (and understands) his writings?

No hard feelings,
Why would there be hard feelings? I merely offered an alternative opinion on a book.

--------------------

OfflineBuddha1
journeyman
    #677303 - 06/13/02 07:00 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You're a big Hume fan aren't you, Swami.

You're right about the lazy thing, but only when its something I dont want to do. I was merely explaining my thought proceess in the last post, to show you how I originally come to a false 'opinion'. I wasn't making an attack on you, thats why I kept saying I was wrong, or I could be wrong, because I'm a bit of a Hume fan myself.

I'm not gonna waste my time picking away at your post and explaining what I meant. Thats not my cup of tea. If you have any serious views of your own, not just a critical view of someone elses view, post it. What do you enjoy reading and why?

OfflineTypingwords
Veteran Seasonal PNW Hunter
I'm a teapot

Loc: seattle-ish area, WA
    #677363 - 06/13/02 07:56 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks alot guys, you know it takes two to ruin a perfectly good thread. I was looking forward to reading about everyone's opinions on my beloved krishnamurti (he's all i've been reading lately), but instead I was forced into a pile of crap I thought I'd never get out of. Swami, don't you agree that if everyone read his books and fully understood them and they applied his teachings to real life, then there would be heaven on earth? That is what is important to understand about krishnamurti. I don't think his teachings are so dry as to make that an impossibility.

--------------------
everything everyone everywhere.
forever and ever

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order