Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Loc: .inside a t.hundercloud.
distilling plant essences
    #6644595 - 03/07/07 08:47 AM (17 years, 16 days ago)

hello all, i was wondering if anyone here has any experience with steam distillation? I've been through the website home-distiller, but i didnt really find anything related to steam distillation. incase you are unfarmiliar, that is when steam is passed through plant matter, the resulting condensation collected and purified to result in a purified essential oil.

i was wondering if anyone has perhaps built a small steam distillation device at home? and i also had a question about

CANNABIS: if the essential oils are responsible for the smell, and not the psychoactivity, would essential oil extract of cannabis be legal to posses? it sure as hell would be nice to have some canna-perfume or simply a drop or two on your clothes to smell wonderfully pungeant.

i have experimented a little with solar distillation in the past, and i think that this is a good method for distilling water and weak spirits, but that plants probably require steam for the best effect. anyways, im starting my big herb garden this year and i wanted to branch out into oils and perfumes, and tips for me?

--------------------
Spiral out.... keep going...
spiral out!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTheBotanist
Stranger
Re: distilling plant essences [Re: whythewho]
    #6647035 - 03/07/07 09:52 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

I would imagine just build a regular pot still with some modifications. Just put some sort of metal screen before the condenser in the vertical part and put your herbs in there. The steam should rise up and pull away at least some chemicals on the way to the condenser. Maybe use water or alcohol as a solvent, or maybe some sort of vegetable oil, I don't know- anything that you can ingest and has the right boiling point and/or polarity. Knowing the vaporization point of your substance might help too for adjustment of vapor temperature. Thats how I would do it.
That would be cool to get to some of the more exotic and harder to purify chemicals. Maybe dmt, salvia- that would be cool, eh?

OfflineTheBotanist
Stranger
Re: distilling plant essences [Re: TheBotanist]
    #6647047 - 03/07/07 09:56 PM (17 years, 16 days ago)

One more thing, why would you want to smell like weed all day. I tend to find myself doing everything I can to rid myself of this obvious giveaway. If you like the smell, just smoke more.

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Loc: .inside a t.hundercloud.
Re: distilling plant essences [Re: TheBotanist]
    #6648277 - 03/08/07 09:49 AM (17 years, 15 days ago)

well i dont think steam distillation would capture chemicals man, like dmt and salvinorin, it only captures water solubles and essential oils (which themselves eveporate and are re-condensed)

simple acid base extractions are simple enough to extract those 'harder to purify' chems. what im interested in is plant essences, the actual olfactory makeup of the plant, the smell, and its aromatherapuetic qualities. i am a massage artists, and essential oils are quite expensive.

i would want to smell like fresh weed all day, not like smoked weed. i like the smell of burnt weed but it smells stagnant and 'smoky' whereas the wonderful smell of cannabis when still fresh tantalizes the senses, and i would likely mix it with another oil, patchouli or ylang ylang perhaps, to cover up the more obvious giveaways. some dude in europe invented a cannabis cologne with synthetic smells, i think it'd be great to do the same with essential oils, or perhaps cannabis shampoo? i mean, seriously, thats a great smell and with a little tweaking only users or past users would recognize the scent, allowing you to thin out a crowd merely by their comments.

and that my friend, is why i would want to smell like weed, all day.

your suggestions are good, with the construction of a slightly modified still, and thats what ill probably do.

--------------------
Spiral out.... keep going...
spiral out!

Offlinelabrat265
Experimenter.
Male

Loc: usa
    #6651400 - 03/09/07 12:03 AM (17 years, 15 days ago)

Isn't THC an oil?

--------------------
All paid jobs absorb and degrade the mind - Aristotle

Invisiblespudamore
Stranger
Male
Loc: Australia
    #6653443 - 03/09/07 04:02 PM (17 years, 14 days ago)

just built a pot still and sit a wire rack of some sort inside the boiler easy as.

--------------------
suicide a permanent solution to a temporary problem

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds