Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineATLean
I'm a Tyvek ManMyself
Male

Loc: ATL
mycelium piss
    #6649453 - 03/08/07 03:09 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

I have a small jelly jar with popcorn and it's got a bit of ..what I hope is mycelium piss. What causes this?

--------------------
Space for sale.

Edited by ATLean (03/08/07 03:11 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTobolam
Cow fieldlawnmower

Re: mycillium piss [Re: ATLean]
    #6649459 - 03/08/07 03:11 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Contamination forum

OfflineATLean
I'm a Tyvek ManMyself
Male

Re: mycillium piss [Re: Tobolam]
    #6649464 - 03/08/07 03:12 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Alright. I'm not going to double post so if a mod sees this, please move it for me and delete this one post.

Thanks-Jon

--------------------
Space for sale.

OfflineATLean
I'm a Tyvek ManMyself
Male

Re: mycelium piss [Re: ATLean]
    #6649469 - 03/08/07 03:13 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Wait a minute...I could be wrong but I don't think mycelium piss is a contamination.

--------------------
Space for sale.

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6649477 - 03/08/07 03:16 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Its not a contam... Mycelium has a byproduct just like humans.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

#6649481 - 03/08/07 03:18 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

good save  :penguindog:

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Invisiblefarva86
I dont want alarge farva. Iwant aleeder-a-cola
Male

Loc: MIddle of Nowhere, AR
Re: mycelium piss [Re: Andrew47]
    #6649532 - 03/08/07 03:37 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

all living organisms create waste and "myc piss" is the waste produced by myc. ive also read elsewhere on the forum that it helps fight contams, some1 correct me if im wrong.

--------------------
Eddie Money doesn't have to put up with this shit.
The wonder has a name: shrooms.

OfflineATLean
I'm a Tyvek ManMyself
Male

Re: mycelium piss [Re: farva86]
    #6649547 - 03/08/07 03:41 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

farva86 said:
all living organisms create waste and "myc piss" is the waste produced by myc. ive also read elsewhere on the forum that it helps fight contams, some1 correct me if im wrong.

This makes me wonder why some produce piss and other don't.
This one jar was colonizing a bit slower than the others and all of a sudden started with some great rizo growth a day or so after I noticed the piss.

--------------------
Space for sale.

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6649557 - 03/08/07 03:43 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

its the length of time and tempature at which it incubates that causes it.

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: mycelium piss [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6650005 - 03/08/07 06:01 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Try a few searches, or simply read back a few pages. I don't have the energy to type it all out for the tenth time this week. It isn't piss and it isn't waste material. It's antibiotics. There is no such thing as mycelium piss. This piss bull gets repeated by noobs enough that other noobs think it's true and then they repeat it. Disinformation dies hard, and I've been trying to kill this one for years. Stamets has been trying to kill it for twenty years without luck because people without knowledge keep repeating it over and over.
RR

InvisibleHipsterDoofus
older than dirt
Male
Re: mycelium piss [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6650272 - 03/08/07 07:10 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

According to The Mushroom Cultivator, Stamets describes it as waste and states that it favors the propagation of bacteria.

Quote:

Mushroom mycelium exudes a yellowish liquid metabolite that collects as droplets around the myceliated kernels of grain. As the culture ages and the kernels are digested, more metabolic wastes are secreted. Although this secretion is mostly composed of alcohols (ethanol and acetone), in time acids are produced that cause the lowering of the substrate's pH. These waste products are favorable to the porpagation of bacteria that thrive in aqueous environments."

OfflineI8thesh400m
Fungi-NatedShroomFiend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida Flag
Re: mycelium piss [Re: HipsterDoofus]
    #6650314 - 03/08/07 07:22 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

I was on my way to wring youre neck and inform you myc doesnt piss. but RR had that covered, so with that said, Its probrally not contam.
as youve been informed and i recently learned, its the waste of mycelium.
Good luck with youre pop corn!

--------------------
sunny:  :sunny:  :sunny:  :sunny:
When i cut the stem, it turned blue fast. Is this normal?
GET DOWN WITH THE NOOB TEK!
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6607835&page=0&vc=&PHPSESSID=#Post6607835

Edited by I8thesh400m (03/08/07 07:30 PM)

OfflineI8thesh400m
Fungi-NatedShroomFiend
Male User Gallery

#6650335 - 03/08/07 07:27 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
It's antibiotics
RR

Antibiotics hua?., Does this have any medicinal benifits, as does morphine?, I Guess im asking, if this can be isolated or is used in anything reguarding healthcare or such.
Interesting now that i know myc wont pee on my leg if i make it mad.

--------------------
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6607835&page=0&vc=&PHPSESSID=#Post6607835

OfflineMightyCelt
Stranger
    #6650408 - 03/08/07 07:44 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
There is no such thing as mycelium piss.  This piss bull gets repeated by noobs enough that other noobs think it's true and then they repeat it.  Disinformation dies hard, and I've been trying to kill this one for years.  Stamets has been trying to kill it for twenty years without luck because people without knowledge keep repeating it over and over.
RR

RR, I understand completely what you're saying, and I am in no way trying to dispute your info (god knows that'd be futile :smile: ).  But I think you get too heated up about this whole myc. piss thing.  I've seen you make dozens of comments like this.  While I, and a lot of other people here know that the yellowish liquid exuded by the mycellium is not actual urine, I still call it mycellial piss. Why? Because thats kinda what it looks like, and everyone else knows what I'm talking about then.  I'm sure a lot of other people use it in the same way.  I mean, its a lot easier, and sounds a lot neater to say piss than to say "yellowish liquid mycellial metabolites/waste"... imagine if people had to type that every time they asked a question about it?  Its kinda like when you have a cold glass ofe ice water with beads of condensation all over it, how some people say the glass is "sweating".  Are they suggesting the glass has pores, and self-regulating temperature control system?  Of course not... but it looks like sweat, is easy to say, and everyone knows exactly what they're talking about. 

While I'm sure some of the guys asking questions about it that have been registered for 4 days and have 2 posts may read that, and think its actual piss, I'm sure most of them, and the rest of us that have been here at least a lil while know that obviously fungi dont have bladders, or urine, but we still use the term.

Since I hate how sometimes what one types on here doesn't come off sounding like one meant when it is read, lemme say that I in know way was flaming you RR, or anything like that.  you've been a huge help and a great reservoir of knowledge for myself and a lot of us here.  Just wanted to maybe give you a lil perspective on something that I noticed seems to bother you, unnecessarily, it seems.

OfflineGrogan
Shroomieologist
 User Gallery

Re: mycelium piss [Re: MightyCelt]
    #6650449 - 03/08/07 07:52 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

I was about to say the same thing MightyCelt...
He gets riled up over the myc piss.. but I call it that as well even though I know its not urine lol..

Just like you said its a name for it not a complete definition of what it is..

Roger I believe it can be killed if you coin an easy phrase thats just as catchy but more descriptive to what it actually is!

--------------------
"Maybe a cow occasionally ate a shroom, but it certainly wouldn't be such a potent shroom that the cow would be trippin balls. " LOL

OfflineI8thesh400m
Fungi-NatedShroomFiend
Male User Gallery

Re: mycelium piss [Re: Grogan]
    #6650639 - 03/08/07 08:31 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Here,.
everyone will now call it the yellow funky stuff
* problem fixed *
hehe.
I do agree, altho its called pee by noobs, they im shure know it doesnt actually urinate.
The sweating ice water is a good example.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: mycelium piss [Re: I8thesh400m] * 1
    #6650698 - 03/08/07 08:45 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

That quote above by stamets in TMC written in 1985 when he was fairly new to cultivation was a mistake. He corrected it very well in the 1990's when he wrote 'Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms', where he correctly stated they are antibiotic compounds.

Furthermore, the journal of medicinal mushrooms publishes articles on a regular basis identifying the various antibiotic compounds in various species of mushroom mycelial metabolites.

The first mass use of metabolites in medicine was in WW2 when the production of metabolites from the Penicillium mold saved thousands of Allied soldiers lives due to a product that was named Penicillin after the mycelium metabolites it was made from. I'm completely in awe that you folks don't know this. It should have been taught in elementary and junior high school, both in history and science. It's not brand new news.

Furthermore, there is a time and place for vulgarities. I'm no prude and no religious freak by a long shot, but in science one need not use vulgar terms if he wishes to be taken seriously. I'll be the first one to let out a four letter tirade over politics when I'm having a few beers down at the pub, but not here, and not in conjunction with mycology. I hope this clears it up. I'll stay on it until people stop using the wrong terms. It's no different than correcting someone for referring to an uncased bulk substrate incorrectly as a 'casing' or referring to manure as a spawn, rather than a substrate, etc. It's simply incorrect an should be corrected or new growers trying to learn get fed the wrong information. Peace and good luck to all
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6650764 - 03/08/07 09:02 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
This piss bull gets repeated by noobs enough that other noobs think it's true and then they repeat it. Disinformation dies hard
RR

It personally bothers me a million times less yo see the term myc piss than when I see the "Cube is a cube" idiots passing that along,they may grow similar but I hate when noobs are lied to about what the feel like

OfflineI8thesh400m
Fungi-NatedShroomFiend
Male User Gallery

Re: mycelium piss [Re: Blutjager]
    #6651003 - 03/08/07 09:59 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
This piss bull gets repeated by noobs enough that other noobs think it's true and then they repeat it. Disinformation dies hard
RR

It personally bothers me a million times less yo see the term myc piss than when I see the "Cube is a cube" idiots passing that along,they may grow similar but I hate when noobs are lied to about what the feel like

I agree, Ive had 100% different trips off of some cubies from a friend, baught from a dealer, and from those picked at my field.
a cubie is, of course, a cubie,, But the high and affect, can vary greatly!.
glad you pointed that out, and yer.. it pisses me off when i hear it as well

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: mycelium piss [Re: I8thesh400m]
    #6651040 - 03/08/07 10:09 PM (17 years, 24 days ago)

Every hyphal pairing makes a new 'strain' thus every grow is different and will have a different feel because there's millions of spores on each print and each spore has a unique genetic code. That's why there's far more variation in trip quality and macroscopic appearance from each crop from even the same print than there is difference between siblings of the same human or animal family for example.

The 'cube is a cube' means just that. They have the same growth and nutritional/environmental requirements. Every trip will be different, so it matters little which named strain one chooses. You won't have the same trip twice, even from the same strain. In fact, you're very unlikely to have the same trip twice, even from fruits from the same substrate tray.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom