Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Can you over boil reishi? (and other tea making tips)
    #6349168 - 12/08/06 08:24 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Hi all,

Just wondering if it is possible to over-boil reishi (in water)?

When I make reishi tea I boil the shredded dried mushrooms for about two hours, and I do this three times. As in strain off the liquid, add more water, and re-boil. So a total of about 6 hours of boiling. Then I have to simmer the combined liquid to reduce its volume. Is this too much boiling? I was told to do this much by a chinese guy at a herbal medicine store.

Also, is simply boiling it going to get all of the good stuff out, or would it be necessary to do an alcohol extraction as well and comine the two?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Can you over boil reishi? (and other tea making tips) [Re: zee_werp]
    #6349216 - 12/08/06 08:37 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

no you can't boil it too much...

as for the question of if its enough to get the good stuff out well... its the only way its been done for at least 1000 years...

that isnt to say there arent alchohol only soluble constiuents.. but the traditional way of preparing all medicinal mushroom extracts was threw decotion(essentially what you are doing w/ all the boiling and reducing)

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#6350975 - 12/09/06 01:24 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Just be careful with the treated water (city water). If you boil a pot of water down 3 times, you're boosting the flouride to very unhealthy levels.

I've found that well shredded reishi will be leeched of all it's flavour after 30 minutes of being lightly boiled.

rahz

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Can you over boil reishi? (and other tea making tips) [Re: Rahz]
    #6351838 - 12/09/06 05:23 PM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Luckily we don't have fluoridated water where I live. Naaasty stuff.

OfflineQuoiyaien
><<<<0>>>><
Male User Gallery

#6353447 - 12/10/06 08:53 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

zee_werp said:
Hi all,

Just wondering if it is possible to over-boil reishi (in water)?

When I make reishi tea I boil the shredded dried mushrooms for about two hours, and I do this three times. As in strain off the liquid, add more water, and re-boil. So a total of about 6 hours of boiling. Then I have to simmer the combined liquid to reduce its volume. Is this too much boiling? I was told to do this much by a chinese guy at a herbal medicine store.

Also, is simply boiling it going to get all of the good stuff out, or would it be necessary to do an alcohol extraction as well and comine the two?

I have a couple of questions about this.  When you make your tea, how much do you make at one go?  Does it tend to keep very well? If so for how long?  How much of the resultant liquid do you consume in a day? Also, what is your ratio of mushroom to water?  I have been getting very interested in medicinal mushrooms lately, but cant seem to find any specifics about usage and preparation.  Thanks.

:heart: Peace :heart:

:hippie:

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Can you over boil reishi? (and other tea making tips) [Re: Quoiyaien] * 1
    #6451244 - 01/12/07 04:49 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Hi Quoiyaien, I only just noticed your reply now. Hopefully you're still around.

Here is an example of making 12 days worth of tea at 5g per day dose.

1) Get 60g of dried, shredded reishi mushroom

2) Put it in 1 liter of water, bring to the boil, stirring occasionally.

3) Once it's come to a boil for a few minutes, reduce the heat so its just simmering.

4) Keep simmering or medium-low heat for 1-2 hours. If water level gets too low, top it up.

5) Strain the liquid into another pot, which is also on medium heat. This is to reduce the volume of the liquid.

6) Put the mushroom material back into the first pot and repeat steps 2-4 two more times for a total of three extractions.

7) Reduce the volume of the resulting tea until it reaches 180ml (or however much liquid fits in 12 cubes in your ice cube tray).

8) Pour the cooled liquid into an ice cube tray with an equal volume in all 12 holes (my ice cube tray has 12 cubes, maybe yours has another amount, so adjust accordingly).

9) Each day, pop a reishi cube into a small amount of warm water so it melts. Shot it back like a shot of whiskey and then have some sips of plain water afterwards if you don't like the taste (while the taste of reishi may be unpleasant, it washes away real easily). If its a hot day and you feel like a temperature and taste sensation you can just suck on a reishi cube directly. Think of the flavour as the goodness permeating into your body :wink:

10) Enjoy the benefits of a reishi-tweaked immune system

InvisibleOldSpice
Geritol Breath...
Female User Gallery

Loc: Crankytown, Texas
    #6451252 - 01/12/07 05:02 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Reishi has amazing decongestant powers  :smile:*blows nose

--------------------
So hard to be ....WDWGFH?
Texas is humongus compared to France
Our Gair, who art in Texas,
Paw Paw be thy Name....
My friends are thirsty

You never see a motorcycle parked outside a Psychiatrist office:biker:

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Can you over boil reishi? (and other tea making tips) [Re: OldSpice]
    #6640243 - 03/06/07 01:41 AM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Just another question relating to this...

Does anyone know if reishi being held at 85 degrees celsius (185 F) for 15 hours (dry heat) will affect the medicinal properties? Or the appearance and flavour of the mushroom for that matter? This is what border security likes to do to them over here.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6640797 - 03/06/07 09:41 AM (17 years, 27 days ago)

I doubt that will affect them. We always bake the reishi we collect in the wild for at least 12 hours at 200F as soon as we get them dry. The reason is to kill off the insect eggs that are always inside wild picked fruits before they can hatch out. We once had our entire condo infested with thousands of tiny bugs that hatched out of a batch of Ganoderma oregonese before we started doing that. I'm sure that's why your customs wants to do it as well. It's smart on their part to protect your local environment.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Re: Can you over boil reishi? (and other tea making tips) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6647102 - 03/07/07 10:21 PM (17 years, 26 days ago)

Yeah I figured it should be OK. I was just reading yesterday that heat actually makes the beta glucans (or was it the polysaccharides) more avaliable for absorbtion if the mushrooms are heated to these kind of temps.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract