Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblexjuan
chico nuevo

Loc: rocky mountains Flag
Re: Question about RogerRabbit's Auto FAE Tub... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6694828 - 03/21/07 10:32 AM (17 years, 12 days ago)

How much perlite falls out of the holes?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Question about RogerRabbit's Auto FAE Tub... [Re: xjuan]
    #6695001 - 03/21/07 11:23 AM (17 years, 12 days ago)

Quote:

xjuan said:
How much perlite falls out of the holes?

Every other day or so I've been taking the trays out of the tub's and stirring all the perlite around for several minutes to make sure it's nice and fluffy and that it has fresh air pockets to evaporate water off of.

Think of it as a way to keep the top layer wet and the bottom layers unclogged and CO2 free - since water doesn't evaporate into CO2 very well.

--
Oh, yea, all that stirring and very little perlite comes out, not even enough for my wife to complain about it being set up in the middle of the living room. (discrete, what?)

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Offlinesupercropper
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Question about RogerRabbit's Auto FAE Tub... [Re: mycocurious]
    #6709977 - 03/25/07 03:37 PM (17 years, 8 days ago)

Is any type of misting required with this setup?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question about RogerRabbit's Auto FAE Tub... [Re: supercropper]
    #6710187 - 03/25/07 04:50 PM (17 years, 7 days ago)

Yes. Mist to keep the casing surface nice and moist. The key to a good pinset is to have a steady rate of evaporation from the casing layer or substrate. If you have a steady rate of evaporation, that moisture must be replaced to prevent the casing layer drying out. Even at 99% humidity, with proper air exchange the casing will begin to dry, which is what you want. Replenish with misting.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #6814784 - 04/21/07 02:55 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry to bump this post after so long RR, but I have a question that relates and that I haven't really seen in the forums. In your opinion, could this method be used with a monotub somehow? Instead of a few big holes with polyfil, maybe I could make a tub with a hundred small holes with no polyfil. I really hate messing with polyfil and this seems like a possible way to stop using it. I already baby my monotubs and check them and fan and spray as needed everyday, so I won't mind if I end up having to do some more spraying with this design. Do you think a monotub could hold enough moisture with no perlite? I have considered smaller tubs inside a larger hole ridden tub sitting on perlite, but I really like the extra square footage I get with my monotub as a single substrate. Any answers or ideas would be appreciated.

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question about RogerRabbit's Auto FAE Tub... [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #6815941 - 04/21/07 12:54 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I've used this method with bulk substrates before, but don't drill holes below the substrate line because they'll encourage pinning anyplace there's a hole drilled. Just drill holes from the top of the substrate up, as well as the lid, but none in the bottom or floor. During colonization, stick the tub inside another one that only has a few holes drilled for gas exchange, to keep the CO2 levels high and prevent moisture loss. At full colonization, simply lift the inner tub out and fruit it. Works great. If you don't have a second tub to use, you can stick it into a plastic trash bag during colonization, but make sure there's a few holes in the plastic for gas exchange.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshrooms4unme
Stranger
    #6816075 - 04/21/07 01:50 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Roger do you think that bulk substrates with a bunch of tiny holes are more prone to contams than tubs with polyfil? I know fully coloized substrates are very contam resistant, but it just seems like an uncolonized substrate would be very prone to contams with a bunch of small unfiltered holes in the tub.

OfflineUnderhillmaster
The LemonProphet

Loc: Parts Unknown
    #6817564 - 04/22/07 12:19 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the reply Roger.  I wasn't planning on drilling any holes below the substrate line hehe.  I have 2 sizes of monotubs that I use.  I can fit the smaller size in a trash bag or another container probably, but my big ones are too big I think.  I'll make a small test container and give it a try.  At least I won't have to use my larger drill attachments:)

--------------------
If you cut off my head, what would I say? Me and my head, or me and my body?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Question about RogerRabbit's Auto FAE Tub... [Re: Underhillmaster]
    #6817626 - 04/22/07 12:41 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Just remember with small holes, it takes four times as many holes to equal twice the area. In other words, two 1/4 inch holes are not the same as one 1/2 inch hole. It would take four of them. It helps to bear that in mind. Good luck.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinerevmn
Stranger
Male

Loc: houston texas
Re: Question about RogerRabbit's Auto FAE Tub... [Re: xjuan]
    #12312764 - 04/01/10 03:36 PM (14 years, 1 hour ago)

ok so i see where RR said only drill holes from the top of the substrate up. well then if you drill holes in all six side wouldnt there be some below te substrate??

--------------------
be happy dont sweat the small stuff and just relax

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix