Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offline2FiNiTe
ConsideratlyKilling Me
Male User Gallery

Loc: New England
Leaf Cutter Ants...Shroomers?
    #6642386 - 03/06/07 05:47 PM (17 years, 26 days ago)

I was watching the discovery channel the other night and I learned something really profound about leaf cutter ants. Obviously the colony has worker ants numbering in the millions whose sole purpose is to collect leaves. Green healthy leaves. Now they cant eat these leaves so the question is why do they do this?

Well these leaves provide the ants with food but not in the way you'd think. After the worker ants collect pounds of leaves a day they pass them off to the smaller hive workers. They then take and stockpile the green cuttings. They add their own fecies and sugars collected by other workers. They then create a specialized chamber to incubate this mixture in and then...

The mixture soon grows a lush fungi myc. this is the sole food source for millions upon millions of ants and for all species of leaf cutter ants this is their one and only food source they are strict vegans.

Pretty interesting stuff, I'd like to try to duplicate a leaf cutter substrate.

--------------------
"Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living."

General Omar N. Bradley

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds