Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
Running for public office
    #6638528 - 03/05/07 07:28 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Has anyone here ran for public office? Im thinking about running in the next 5-10 years but I want to get some advice from anyone that has run or has thought about running.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Running for public office [Re: AaronEvil]
    #6638577 - 03/05/07 07:43 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Why on earth would you want to do that to yourself?

--------------------

OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
    #6638594 - 03/05/07 07:47 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You'll need a support base if you actually want to win. Not to mention a party allegiance and money to fund a campaign if there's competition. Then, if you win, anything you do will be checked by your constituents, so no legal weed obviously. If you're in your 20's, chances are people won't take you seriously. But if you have an outstanding background, public service etc and dont look like a frat boy, you might become a hip mayor or something

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6638643 - 03/05/07 07:59 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, running on the local level would probably mean coming out of some organization or some small business, something so that you would have a lot of people that knew your name. Furthermore, from dealing with these people, your future constituents, you would be more familiar with what interests they would hold and how to play to those interests.

I'd suggest getting involved with the community, perhaps starting a small business. Hang out at the City Commerce Hall and shit like that. :smirk:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Re: Running for public office [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6639151 - 03/05/07 09:30 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Some people (including myself) dont see running for or holding public office as a bad thing. A lot of work, a lot of bullshit, but a chance to do something. Call me crazy but I think our system of government can work we just need the right people in the right possitions. I think I could make a difference and give a different perspective on issues that I feel are important.

Thanks to everyone else for the advice and information. I think the reason I may never get elected is because I dont regret my past enough to hide it or cover it up. I dont mind if people know that I have smoked pot or done any of the few drugs I did experiment with. That will be either a blessing or a curse. I guess only time will tell. I wont be flaunting the fact I have done these things, but when confronted I wont lie. I am human. Politicians should be humanized by their mistakes.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
    #6640662 - 03/06/07 10:25 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Because some people like to make a change, instead of sitting around high all day dreaming about a better way of life.

If you are young and relatively unknown, start local. If you are in your mid 20s its a great time to get started...the media will be all over you. Just be ready with answers, and realize you will always be watched, so make sure what you have an answer for the things you do, or that it isnt something people will question.

Make sure you have a purpose. Lots of people in politics, very few of them actually have a purpose other than "because i want to do it"

If you dont have money, you better have support, because even in local races there are always people with money that will want you to lose.

Be ready to be public...everything about your life.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #6642062 - 03/06/07 06:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Which is all wonderfully noble. For my take on career advice, I suggest you immediately and methodically delete every post you ever made here and disappear your account in every way possible. That's a helluva spiffy name you got there AaronEvil, Will no doubt go over real well with voters. Also, find some way to expunge any notion that you may be or ever were a partaker of hallucinogens, because of the flashbacks, you know. And anything else that might be a little bit outre'. Oh and find god somehow and a regular church. Kiss the notion of any kind of private life goodbye and develop a skin that combines the thickness of a Rhino's with the slickness of a Dolphin's. Oh, and develop some source of outside income, because public office pays notoriously poorly, unless you're a crook of course, but then you run a risk of prison. Prepare to kiss the asses of an endless parade of odious power brokers and contributors and never stop smiling when some ignorant douchebag tells you what a wanker you are

Remember, you can't do any good if you don't actually win the election. Now get out there and fight the good fight you intrepid pilgrim you.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6642300 - 03/06/07 07:29 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Nice post. :thumbup:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

#6643657 - 03/07/07 01:04 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Well... As I said I dont think I mind too much about this site. My name is Aaron but I dont think people could actually lead my posts back to me. Plus, the only thing I have posted on here that would be used against me is a trip report or two from about two years ago. Those I could find and delete if I needed to. Other than that most of my participation has been in the political, culinary, and sports forums. I cant see too much being used against me there other than my political beliefs which I plan to run with anyway.

Its great advice though and I do need to keep it in mind when it gets closer to the deadline of me wanting to run. If at that point pressure seems to great to risk anything I can drop this account and all its posts. Maybe make a new one that is completely irrelevant to me.

But, the first thing I need to work on is my business. Once I get it going I should have enough time to think about running.

Ill post something on here when I decide to run. I wont say where I am running but I will let you all know I am and let you know outcome.

--------------------

InvisibleOneMoreRobot3021
Male

Loc: the sky
    #6644556 - 03/07/07 10:17 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Which is all wonderfully noble.  For my take on career advice, I suggest you immediately and methodically delete every post you ever made here and disappear your account in every way possible.  That's a helluva spiffy name you got there AaronEvil,  Will no doubt go over real well with voters.  Also, find some way to expunge any notion that you may be or ever were a partaker of hallucinogens, because of the flashbacks, you know.  And anything else that might be a little bit outre'.  Oh and find god somehow and a regular church.  Kiss the notion of any kind of private life goodbye and develop a skin that combines the thickness of a Rhino's with the slickness of a Dolphin's.  Oh, and develop some source of outside income, because public office pays notoriously poorly, unless you're a crook of course, but then you run a risk of prison.  Prepare to kiss the asses of an endless parade of odious power brokers and contributors and never stop smiling when some ignorant douchebag tells you what a wanker you are

Remember, you can't do any good if you don't actually win the election.  Now get out there and fight the good fight you intrepid pilgrim you.

That made my morning coffee. :goodmorning:

--------------------
Acid doesn't give you truths; it builds machines that push the envelope of perception. Whatever revelations came to me then have dissolved like skywriting. All I really know is that those few years saddled me with a faith in the redemptive potential of the imagination which, however flat, stale and unprofitable the world seems to me now, I cannot for the life of me shake.

-Erik Davis

OfflineAlCapwn
ID Reset, take that subpoena

Loc: Canada
    #6647032 - 03/07/07 11:51 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:

Because it's the Zappa thing to do.

--------------------
Huuuuurrrrrr!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains

General Interest >> Political Discussion