Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Newbie Posting [Re: PGF]
    #658320 - 06/02/02 02:38 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

It's not that newbies ask questions, some are actually good questions.

It's that they don't take the time to see if that same question has already been asked. They are too fucking lazy to take the time to try and help them selves.

I will never stop slamming assholes like that.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #658612 - 06/02/02 06:36 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Posting [Re: vatoloco]
    #658675 - 06/02/02 07:35 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Alas, nice escapes me when it comes to most of the twits who post here.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisiblePGF
square

Loc: Malaysia
Re: Newbie Posting [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #659271 - 06/02/02 03:07 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I say who gives a fuck...this is not the-hive.ws, this is the shroomery.... have a little heart....

When i came here I asked some simple shit when I was new...people helped me and I was glad.....amd those people were not your big name cultivators that are always here.....they were guys like me who learned and then helped and then moved on.....just as I did......

So, if you can not answer some simple fucking questions...keep your ass away from MC cause there are a lot of those...after all, it is NOT advanced MC....

you whiny fucking elitist bitches....you have no fucking care for the true spirit of these forums....please move on to the forest floor....cause they are in tune with your selfishness

Help, let others help or move on
good bye

--------------------
***The Real Shroomery nigger

Offlinemrfreedom
journeyman
Male
    #660561 - 06/03/02 11:30 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I am not elitist nor am I selfish. I also came here, and drool when it was up, to find information. I didn't just start asking questions though. I read and read and read. I downloaded the relevant FREE mushroom growing guides. These guides answered my most minute questions. I found these guides in the forums. I didn't have to ask for them they were already posted. I didn't have to ask what, vermiculite was(even though I had never heard of it) that information is in several of the guides that I read.(as well as where to find it)

Even in the begining of my search for knowledge, I took the time to search the basic words that I came across. Such as, perlite, pressure cooker, jars, strains, PFtek, humidity, temperature, terarium and so on. I fail to see how it is beneficial to any newbie to do the work for them. At the very least, one would wish to HELP the newbie by teaching them to find the answer's themselves. What if they need the information rightaway? Would it be better for them to sit by their computer waiting for the answer or would it be better it THEY knew how to search out the most basic answer's themselves. I think the answer is obvious.

I am not down on newbies, as such, I am down on the simplistic nature of the questions that are asked. Those type of questions denote a complete lack of respect to those that have done the research and posted their findings. This person, asking the most basic questions, shows disrespect to the board and it's grow members every time that they refuse to even bother using the search engine.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Posting [Re: mrfreedom]
    #660738 - 06/03/02 01:36 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

BRAVO!!!!!

*A tear trickles down my cheek*

--------------------

InvisiblePGF
square

Re: Newbie Posting [Re: mrfreedom]
    #661294 - 06/03/02 06:40 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

So either ignore the dumb questions or take a minute to post a link to the FAQ or take two minutes to type an answer.........

If you guys start flaming newbies just because they ask some dumb questions........you'll be the ones that look stupid....

It's not like you have to look at the questions and you certainly do not have to answer the questions......

Some of us are more adept at reading a cult manual and following the directions with minimal help from the outside...and then there are those who need a little bit more help and some who need lots of help....

there are no dumb questions....just dumb asses who flame when someone asks a simple question.....

bitches

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #661536 - 06/03/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I agree wholeheartedly with PGF here.

I mean yes some of you in the beginning read, used the search engine, etc..... But you forget that thats you, you knew to look before you asked. We get people from all over the world visiting this site, people who don't speak very good english, people who have logged onto the internet for the first time.

We can't expect everyone to be like us, that is a true way to be miserable in life hoping that everyone will be just like you. Thats why you find so much intolerance, its because you want only behavior that you approve of.

Give the newbies some slack, I had a friend of mine from Iceland ask questions in mush cult, he read the PF tek, and lots of other info but he still asked some basic questions because he was unsure of a few things.

Newbie questions will always exist, its impossible to change, and to bitch about it is like complaining how time keeps moving..

If it bothers you don't click on the thread, don't reply, and I think you'll be much happier.

I thought websites like this were to help others, to teach and reach new levels in this hobby.. When new people come to this hobby its intimidating, all the info people have to take in, I welcome those newbies and hope that you at least be cordial to even the simplest questions.

You can be a jerk to these people, or you can be helpfull; hell you can even ignore them..... But what do you think is better, being nice to someone you just met, or giving them attitude?

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Posting [Re: Thor]
    #661607 - 06/03/02 10:48 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp. I don't mind newbie questions. I do mind lazy newbies who can't be bothered to read. I do mind totally moronic newbie questions. I have offered suggestions to make sure that newbies read the teks and FAQ. You dismissed them. There are many, myself included who don't mind the newbies asking questions. It's the stupid questions we mind. My pet peeve is the question.... My casing (or cake) is contaminated, should I eat the shrooms anyway? I may let them know it's a stupid question, but I always give an answer. My second peeve is lazy asses.

So as long as there is stupidity, I will remain (as you call it) a jerk.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#661609 - 06/03/02 10:52 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

And PGF, there is a link to the FAQ in everyone of my posts.

And Thor, this should be at least tried (this is the suggestion I refered to in my previous post),

"I still think there should be a page that appears before you can make a post that asks if the poster to be has done a search and read the FAQ with the ability to do both on that very same page. Also on that page should be a list of rules such as no cross posting and off topic posting. Add a list of the descriptions for the forums just like on the list of forums page.
It may help, it may not. Can't hurt though. "

With the speed of the new server, which is nice by the way, there would be a minimal delay.

--------------------

InvisibleThorA
Anti-Theist OVERLORD
Male User Gallery

Loc: Iceland
    #661635 - 06/03/02 11:40 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

We'll definately give that some thought, being that Anno's home is mush cult we should see what he thinks about this.

But even with a page like that this will still happen, people will just simply click OK, and make a post...

I think you have to see why I'm not optimistic, newbies on all kinds of message boards behave this way and its next to impossible to stop stupid questions and to stop them asking questions that have been asked before.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Newbie Posting [Re: Thor]
    #661663 - 06/04/02 12:31 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"I still think there should be a page that appears before you can make a post that asks if the poster to be has done a search and read the FAQ with the ability to do both on that very same page. Also on that page should be a list of rules such as no cross posting and off topic posting. Add a list of the descriptions for the forums just like on the list of forums page. It may help, it may not. Can't hurt though."

Definitely something that should be considered.
At overgrow.com there is something like that appearing before the first 10 or so posts.

If this would help is written on another piece of paper...I doubt it.

So, in a long term, there is only one way, namely to politely but determined point the people who ask ridiculous questions into the right direction (FAQ, Shroomery Grow/Find section....).

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Newbie Posting [Re: Anno]
    #662577 - 06/04/02 11:06 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

I don't expect miracles, but it can't hurt to try. Just be sure to put the "OK" button way down at the bottom of the page. Sadly, with people being willing to answer even the most inane and simply researched questions, I'm sure the problem will never go away.

I realize I get a bit testy over this. It probably doesn't help that so many are willing to help those who are basically hopeless.
I'd love to see people just ignore those type of questions.

I read these forums several times a day. I read them this morning before 6, when I arrived home at 5 this afternoon there were 36 new posts. Maybe 2 - 3 of these should have been there.

When I do attempt to point people in the right direction, I get flamed. Sometimes I probably deserve it as I can be a bit blunt.
I have even posted a link to the FAQ in my sig. I wish more would add that link. Can that be done at your end to every post?

--------------------

InvisiblePGF
square

#663361 - 06/04/02 09:04 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Thor,
Sounds like a deterant...a pain in the ass showing newbies that their questions are unwelcome......

Why not adopt the Hive's way and make it impossible for newbies to post for a 24 or 48 hour period?

That would be just as useless and spiteful.

Even with this new system, the kind of folk that ask the simple questions are not going to NOt ask these questions.

The only thing this will do is make it SEEM alright for "old poster1234" to flame some newbie when they do ask a question covered in the FAQ.

And, there is also the possibility that having roadblocks for newbies will help them to decide that this is not a community for them...and then they move on....and then who misses out? We do as a community...all because of some foolish pride that some old growers have.

Think about it...don't just be reactionary...think the thing through all the way....your motives for this are selfish.....If you don't want to answer the question then point a newbie to the FAQ....if you do not want to point a newbie to the FAQ then IGNORE the post...someone will help them.....

You guys should think this through....and if you do and still implement this thing you should be ashamed of yourselves.......really.

This is one area where there is no need for change. These boards have functioned this way long before you kids got here.......Mush Cult is the heart of this place....don't go fucking with it

Maybe, just maybe, for those of you who are seriously considering this...it is time to move on......

Thor, do not give into the pressure. You do not want to make these forums LESS than what they have always been and that is a welcoming place for newbie's to learn about cultivating mushrooms.

Yes, this Anno guy is an admin now, but you were admin first and you inherited this place from the founders. You make the final choice. How this place turns out is a direct reflection on you. So far, it's been mostly good. A screw up with the cult forum could be devastating.

Every newbie is important. This is not som elitist bullshit club. This is for all. Take them as they come.

--------------------

Offlinemrfreedom
journeyman
Male
    #663409 - 06/04/02 10:13 PM (21 years, 10 months ago)

PGF, why do you insist that, because some of us wish that other's LEARN, that we are elitist. Why do you insist that we leave the community? What is wrong with the proposals at hand? Nothing, that's what.
I don't advocate flaming newbies, in fact NOONE, has suggested this as a corrective action. I realy like my answer, but I am biased. What is wrong with doing a quick search, posting the link and then having the newbie read it? Surely, even if they are from another country, they would be best served by having multiple in depth links, as opposed to a quick answer from an experienced grower.
That way, if the need arrises, and they are unable to fully master the search engine right away, they will have the information at their disposale should they need to use an interpretation tool.

Perhaps you have a point though. Perhaps ALL post's should just be answered. No giving out the faq, as someone pointed out, they may not be able to read it. No giving out links, same reason, and it might be considered flaming. No quirky answers, no asking if the newbie even knows what a search engine is. Let's just let them live in abject ignorance. That way they can perpetuate the cycle of stupidity and dependance that we(current members) have begun.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #663444 - 06/05/02 12:18 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

>Yes, this Anno guy is an admin now, but you were admin
>first and you inherited this place from the founders. You
>make the final choice.

Huh? Do I hear some anger in these words?

I have been given an admin status to help this place become a better place by putting together the FAQ (with great help of of oscill8 and phrozendata) and putting together the Bookstore(after Thor had the idea, with help of...hmmm... nobody).
Just because I have an A with my username, this doesn?t make me a decission maker at these boards, I am very glad i don?t have to do it with all the troublemakers here...

I give my oppinion to things just as everybody else does and should do.
A splash screen untill the 10th post would be a good thing IMO.

InvisiblePGF
square

#663629 - 06/05/02 04:45 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

If your ultimate goal is to lose potential newbie cultivators
and bring an elitist feeling to the OTD, then the splash screen is a good thing.

I did not ask anyone to leave. I just think that if you are tired with the way this community was set up to help people, newbies in particular, then maybe you have outgrown the community. I did not say that was fact, I said maybe. There was no anger.

I just pointed out to Thor that he was handed the reigns and ultimately, the decision is up to him, even though there are others here in the admin, that's all.

No hostility. Just as you have your opinion, I have mine. I don't think there has been anything wrong with the manner in which I expressed my opinion. Sorry if you feel different. It seems a little heart fealt opposition is making you uncomforatable.

--------------------

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #663651 - 06/05/02 05:00 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

"I just think that if you are tired with the way this community was set up to help people, newbies in particular, then maybe you have outgrown the community. "

I don?t get it.
Why don?t you go and read what I wrote before stating such ridiculous comments.
I wrote a few posts ago:

"So, in a long term, there is only one way, namely to politely but determined point the people who ask ridiculous questions into the right direction (FAQ, Shroomery Grow/Find section....). "

InvisiblePGF
square

#663676 - 06/05/02 05:26 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

You also entertain the splash screen idea.

My posts are not necessarily directed at you, Anno.

Don't take it personally.

My posts are directed toward the idea of a splash screen, etc., and those who would support such a thing.

relax

mrfreedom, I have already stated that posting a link to th faq is a good thing for those who do not wish to answer newbie questoins. Those who do not wish to post a link to a faq can ignore.

--------------------

Edited by PGF (06/05/02 05:29 AM)

Anonymous

#665252 - 06/06/02 03:42 AM (21 years, 10 months ago)

Questions and answers are the whole reason this board exists. I am grateful for all the help and information this forum and members have given me in the past. That is why there are two forums. One for newbies and one for advanced. There are no stupid questions in the world, Just stupid answers. If you do not like what is going on in one forum don't go there. Just my opinion. Thanks for the oppertunity to voice it.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order