Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Antibiotics and steroids in hpoo
    #6628873 - 03/02/07 05:15 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

How picky should I be about hpoo?
A friend will not put it on his veg patch because horse manure may contain wormer's which will kill the good worms in the ground and he thinks medicine that the horse has eaten will be taken up by his carrots. Is this something that should be thought about before using it to grow mushrooms?

race horse manure == I'd use caution with that. Who knows what they feed those horses e.g. antibiotics, steroids, etc. I'd be concerned about their poop containing nasty stuff.

Environmental Effects of Antibiotic Use
Although there are negative consequences that may incur as a result of limiting or banning sub-therapeutic use of antibiotics, the detrimental effect of current subtherapeutic antibiotic use on the environment and on human health must be considered. These antibiotics used sub-therapeutically are not completely broken down by the host animals and in some cases, as much as 90% of the active ingredients are excreted in urine and feces unchanged (Kumar et al., 2005). These active ingredients often find their way into the environment through several different pathways. Among the most common and most studied pathways is the use of cattle manure as a fertilizer. Runoff from feed lots and land fertilized with cattle manure can reach streams and rivers, where antibiotics have been detected. In a study by Ken Carlson at Colorado State University, the antibiotic Monensin, which is used only in animal agriculture and not in humans was not found in the headwaters of the Cache la Poudre River but was found in reaches of the river just downstream of large farms and feedlots. “The scientists’ conclusion: Those operations were most certainly the source” (Bonne, Jon 2004). Concerns associated with this contamination is "the potential toxic dangers of these compounds to fish, plants and other aquatic organisms - as well as to humans through drinking water - because water treatment plants generally cannot remove all of these compounds” (Bohlander, 2004). There is also a potential that these types of animal and human antibiotics contribute to the emergence of strains of disease-causing bacteria that are resistant to high doses of drugs (Bohlander, 2004).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblezee_werp
a fractalcreature
 User Gallery

Loc: Aotearoa
Re: Antibiotics and steroids in hpoo [Re: thallus]
    #6629929 - 03/02/07 11:20 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

That sounds a little over the top to me...

In my area most of the horse poo I see around is at the front gate of houses in the country where the people have a few horses, very little chance of them being too far from 'organic'...I guess the US might be a different story. If that is indeed where you live.

I'm not an expert in this field by any means, but I would have thought that by the time the drugs were metabolised in the horses system, then crapped out, they would be in fairly small quantites. Then the rate of absorbtion of the vegetable or mushroom you grow in it is also going to be small. Not to mention that the plant or mushroom might metabolise those compounds even further.

That said, if you can find 'organic' horse poo somewhere, by all means use it.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Antibiotics and steroids in hpoo [Re: zee_werp]
    #6630137 - 03/03/07 12:27 AM (17 years, 30 days ago)

Does your friend think they don't give cattle ivomec too? Hook, round, and tape worms are not earthworms.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Antibiotics and steroids in hpoo [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6630406 - 03/03/07 01:46 AM (17 years, 30 days ago)

He is a long hair so I don't trust him on this but I think the idea is there. There was some talk of growth hormones in cow poo, he uses green manure. No I'm not from the US and his original ideas came from a gardening radio show a couple of years ago. I have alway used manure in the garden so see no problem with it, I was just throwing the idea out to you guys.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6630606 - 03/03/07 03:02 AM (17 years, 29 days ago)

If you have the room?
Just pile any h/poo in a sunny spot.
Wet it down with a hose & let mother nature.
Have at it for awhile.
Turn with a shovel, or pitch fork.
Every so often.
Exposed like that.
Anything nasty, mother nature will neutralize.
Then, allow it to sun dry.
ONCE BONE DRY------->GOOD TO GO.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Antibiotics and steroids in hpoo [Re: agar]
    #6630853 - 03/03/07 07:58 AM (17 years, 29 days ago)

Furthermore, mushrooms don't conduct toxins other than heavy metals into the fruitbodies. They've been used to clean up such things as oil spills, and the mushrooms were edible with no traces of the deisel fuel they grew in.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #6631881 - 03/03/07 04:24 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

have a read on this microdot: .

--------------------
buh

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order