Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
Quick Cool PC/Sterilizer
    #6618519 - 02/27/07 11:56 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have a presto 23qt something PC that i bought. In the manual it says that i can quickly cool the PC running it under cold water. It works and does not seem to damage the PC.

I also have a All American 75X Sterilizer. Is there anyway to quick cool the sterilizer without damaging it.

I can afford another presto, but i rather not damage the sterilizer. I did not find anywhere in the sterilizer manual for a quick cool like i did for the presto.

Anyone know?

-LK

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebudmanman
OTD Masterbater
Male

Loc: PNW
Re: Quick Cool PC/Sterilizer [Re: Liquidkick]
    #6618623 - 02/28/07 12:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

quick cooling doesn't accomplish anything really other than minutes... which is quite pointless but.

I have sometimes quick cooled mine when using it to sterilize poo yea thats rite I break da rules and I wouldn't recommend it as it has caused some problems recently.

but I ran my 1940 huge 30 quart PC under water and it still works so.

Thats my 2cents.

Wouldn't recommend just air cooling safe and effective.

--------------------
Everything I have ever said is total bogus bs I am full of crud therefore everything I say should never be taken literal.

And I am mentally unstable.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6618647 - 02/28/07 12:37 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Its a good question considering I bet that thing stay hot for hrs but I am fairly sure that it does say on the instructions to my PC not to try quick cooling it,I say wait for someone with more valid info to respond and in the meantime go and buy some "ove gloves" and start shaking those hot jars so you can load it up with more:hehehe:

InvisibleLiquidkick
H2O
Re: Quick Cool PC/Sterilizer [Re: Blutjager]
    #6618715 - 02/28/07 01:05 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Alright, i have found why they don't want you to quick cool your PC/canner.

Its because the glass jars inside might break.

I only use bags for substrates and jars for LC. So from now on when i use bags in the PC I will be quick cooling the Presto.

But they do say you can quick cool a PC.

Q. When is it necessary to quick cool the pressure cooker?
A. Quick cooling of the pressure cooker is usually used for delicate foods such as custards and fresh vegetables. To quick cool a pressure cooker, simply place the cooker under cold running water or place in a pan or sink full of cold water. For other foods, like roasts and stews, it is usually recommended that you let the pressure cooker cool of its own accord by setting it aside until the pressure drops.

i won't be messing with my sterilizer for quick cooling. I don't want to damage it in anyway.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #6618803 - 02/28/07 01:31 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

It's really not about jars breaking, although sometimes they will. here is the reason: At 15psi, the temperature in your PC and inside the jars is 250F. If you quick cool the PC, the substrate or whatever is in your jars is still at 250F, but now the pressure is gone. As we all know, water boils at 212f at sea level pressure. That means that the moisture in your jars will boil off. It will continue to boil off until the temperature of the substrate cools below 212F. There's an excellent chance that you will have destroyed the moisture content you worked hard to get right before sterilization.

If you quick cool with bags, the filter won't expel the steam fast enough, so the bags inflate and burst, spilling whatever is in them.

When the instructions say you can quick cool, you must bear in mind they don't build PC's for mushroom growers. They build them for kitchen food use.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Hot Plate, Pressure Cooker

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation