Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineunitybrodel
Stranger
green mold forever?
    #6617163 - 02/27/07 05:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I have some small green spots on my casings in my FC. Im gonna try to fix em - im already dissapointed that my first grow will probably go to shyte. My question is will green mold ALWAYS attack my casings in that chamber no matter how much I do to sterilize if before I use it again? Im gonna try to fix it by digging it out and putting salt in the void and a good bleach water spray. What else is reccomended? I'm pissed b/c as soon as I saw my first pins - I saw my first contamination. Also, there is some grey looking fuzz on top of the myc. What might that be? There is also some yellowing of the myc but I think thats from water droplets. By the way - this all happened pretty much over night...daaaamn! I have aquarium pumps going 24/7 too so my FAe should be good and I have the humidity at 100% and the temp around 74.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Re: green mold forever? [Re: unitybrodel]
    #6617278 - 02/27/07 06:13 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ugh. Sounds bad, I advise getting that out of your house as soon as possible, if you ever wish to grow successfully in the future. The green mold is white- it is composed of mycelium, as all molds. As the spores mature, they turn green. you will not be able to remove the mold by simply scooping out the green areas. The green is only the spores, not the mold itself. The grey sounds like cobweb or some other kind of mold, which will soon, if not already, begin to sporulate. Get it out, the longer it is in your house, the less likely you will be able to grow again, contaminant free. Spores will spread.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: green mold forever? [Re: CureCat]
    #6619014 - 02/28/07 02:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

You have trichoderma and cobweb mold going. NEVER try to cut mold out. It only spreads the spores around your house and all over you and your clothes, contaminating everything.

Bleach doesn't kill mold. You can dip trichoderma in ten percent bleach and it won't kill it. For that matter, you can dip trichoderma in pure bleach and it won't kill it. Bleach kills bacteria and mold spores, but not live mycelium.

Sterilizing a fruiting chamber is not necessary. I don't even use soap anymore. I just rinse out with water and put back to use. You prevent molds by having proper FAE, which you won't get with an aquarium pump. You need to drill holes all over your fc and also fan a few times daily. The more air you give, the less chance of contamination.

3% peroxide will kill cobweb mold on contact. However, with trich growing which you can't kill, you need to get that FC cleaned out asap. Toss the contents or put them outside if it's warm enough. They will usually recover and fruit outdoors.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineTobolam
Cow fieldlawnmower

Re: green mold forever? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6632630 - 03/03/07 11:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Wait, RR, sorry if I'm hijacking, but how does FAE prevent molds? I though the more exchange, the more air is moved and therefore the more chance of a silly spore wandering in the FC?

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Re: green mold forever? [Re: Tobolam]
    #6632801 - 03/04/07 12:48 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Tobolam said:
Wait, RR, sorry if I'm hijacking, but how does FAE prevent molds? I though the more exchange, the more air is moved and therefore the more chance of a silly spore wandering in the FC?

i think the FAE doesnt allow the mold spores to settle onto your casing and take a foothold

--------------------
----------

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Re: green mold forever? [Re: odium33]
    #6633364 - 03/04/07 03:55 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Uhhh.... no, certainly if spores are in the air, they will be able to settle. Think about it - Take a pile of damp vermiculite or coir or whatever, and blow a small amount of flour quickly over top the surface, then inspect. Surely some flour will have been able to set down on the somewhat damp, and uneven surface.

I think what FAE does is create an inhospitable environment for mold spores to be able to germinate and colonize. This same environment is necessary for healthy mycelium growth.

Optimally, you would have your FC in a relatively sanitary room, so that your project is not exposed to a great many competing spores.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: green mold forever? [Re: CureCat]
    #6633996 - 03/04/07 12:37 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Molds grow in stale, still air. It doesn't matter how many contaminant spores land on your project, they won't be able to grow if you keep the air moving and fresh. Sterility is for preventing contaminants in spawn, air exchange is for preventing contaminants in fruiting chambers.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinejhonda00
Stranger
Male

Loc: United States
Re: green mold forever? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #9386131 - 12/07/08 06:22 PM (12 years, 4 months ago)

Hi,
I was just wondering about the holes everywhere thing. I made a pmp (poor mans pod) with a fish pump. I know you dont believe those will work, but dont they help a little bit? Anyways, if I leave the fish pump in just for a little extra help with fae because I'm not home enough to fan constantly is that a good idea? And if I do cut holes in my tank how do i keep the humidity up? I currently use lava rocks, but should i switch to perlite? I made a post the other day about my casings not pinning, but they currently are begining to pin very well, but I had a little bit of cob web mold growing on them so i sprayed with 3% h202. Will the peroxide hurt my pins?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Coir, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation