Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleDieCommie

Re: No veil, better wear Kevlar [Re: Basilides]
    #6611068 - 02/25/07 11:29 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Edited by DieCommie (11/12/16 11:16 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBasilides
Servent ofWisdom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Crown and Heart
Re: No veil, better wear Kevlar [Re: DieCommie]
    #6611286 - 02/26/07 12:57 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Well I base it on the fact that nearly every active conflict in the world today involves muslims. Islam is the common denominator. Not any particular race, culture, or political situation. The common factor is Islam. Your right this theory is not popular... I think its just self-delusional political correctness that denies the fact that Islam in a factor in nearly every major conflict of our time.

I would reference Vali Nasr's The Shia Revival: How Conflicts Within Islam will Shape the Future. Here, Nasr also explores the fairly evident fact that wars in the 21st century involve Muslims for the most part - but theorizes (and this has been debated by some reformists even) that the increasing tension between Sunnis and Shias is interconnected with growing reform movements within both traditions, which have subsequently resulted in a fundamentalist throwback among both. My only critique here is that he fails to mention the larger role that fundamentalist regimes have in maintaining the Islamist status quo, especially in regard to Iran, who are the ultimate meddlers in the region by any degree - but also Saudi Arabia, which to this day is the imperial backbone of radical Sunni Islam.

Quote:

No, not Islam in general. Just the current mainstream interpretation of Islam.

We agree here - it is about high time that Islamic clerics revive the jurisprudence of Ijtihad, which was the sole reason Muslims flowered during Islam's Golden Age.

Quote:

That is a good point and I am surprised that you used it. This is similar to Bush's belief, that most people want to live in a democracy. I would like to think that is true. (I assume) Both you and I support these individuals who lay down their lives against the Jihad. But my feeling is that these individuals are the minority, not the majority. Most Muslims are against them and what they are trying to do.
Also, I dont think they would be doing shit if the US wasn't there backing them up. The only reason this minority of reform minded individuals are willing to stand up against Jihad is because the US is there (I dont blame them). But Im sure you are against the US being there...
I once believed more in the ideal of democracy and freedom in Islamic lands, but now its clear to me that most Muslims would rather fight their old civil wars and spread their dogma throughout the planet. And I think that 'moderates' who live in western lands are walking a dangerous line by spending more time opposing a piece of legislation like the patriot act then opposing the global Jihad.

I was opposed to the initial invasion of Iraq, however I believe it is the duty of the U.S. to remain in Iraq until Bush's goals are achieved, as a premature exit from the country would spell a regional disaster.

Obviously, alot has happened since the days of Colin Powell and WMD's, and Iraq now presents a very unique opportunity and situation for Islamic reform that should be embraced by Western Muslims instead of condemned. Few Muslims who criticize the situation as a whole haven't even read the Iraqi constitution - which from what I can see, can easily be amended over the years to bring Iraq into a full sovereign liberal democracy. I also believe the Left doesn't appreciate the opportunity Iraq now presents for the region nor appreciate the sincerity of Iraqis who have been dying daily trying to rebuild the country. In my own view, Iraq is the epicenter of Islamic reform - it will define Islamic reform (as far as the relationship between Islam and State in the Middle East is concerned) in the 21st century.

--------------------

"Have you found the beginning, then, that you are looking for the end? You see, the end will be where the beginning is. Congratulations to the one who stands at the beginning: that one will know the end and will not taste death."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale, Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag