Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: grphish]
    #6611559 - 02/26/07 04:44 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I repeat.

Quote:

Overconsumption of resources. This is the mother of all of our environmental problems. And many of our social problems.

It's that simple. Fixing it, is what's complex :wink:

http://overpopulation.org/impact.html

Yes I do. :smirk:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: C20H25N3O]
    #6611580 - 02/26/07 05:03 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The lack of good quality retarded midget pr0n.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: C20H25N3O]
    #6611634 - 02/26/07 06:10 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

apathy
ignorance
ego-centrism

--------------------

Offlinetwiggedoubt
twigburst
Male User Gallery

Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: Colbadol]
    #6611665 - 02/26/07 06:42 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Nuking Israel.

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
    #6611686 - 02/26/07 07:06 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

whether we were dead before the ship even sank gets any mtv/radio airplay on a large scale or not

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: zSDMF]
    #6611692 - 02/26/07 07:13 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

the ship even sank

Is that a band?

:what:

--------------------

OfflineRandomHero
�.ǝןqısuodsǝɹɹı
 User Gallery

Loc: shroomery.org Flag
Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6611697 - 02/26/07 07:18 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

people like anna nicole having lots and lots of babies.....
thats a scary thought

--------------------
Been you to have any spike, man?.

InvisiblezSDMF
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: lost in nothing Flag
Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6611698 - 02/26/07 07:21 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

new modest mouse, it's really really good

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#6611708 - 02/26/07 07:34 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I think we got to focus on cutting down our gas consumption. I think we need to focus on our use of our natural resources in general. I think we need to re look at how we raise live stock and raise our vegetables. We should see how it impacts the land and make the appropriate choices. We are the stewards of the land.

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6611714 - 02/26/07 07:39 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

but we all know these things.

wasting natural resources, problems with livestock, polluting the environment...these are all SYMPTOMS to a greater problem.

and that is apathy. If it isnt in their backyard, staring at them in the face, people dont think it exists.

--------------------

Offlinefunkface
FriendlyStranger w/candy

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: Colbadol]
    #6611817 - 02/26/07 08:33 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

globalization - the process and our reaction to the lives of the people changed by it... socially, economically and psychologically.

Utilizing natural resources in the most efficient manner.

Nurturing the environment - its all we've got.

Last and certainly not least... The bill of rights.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: funkface]
    #6611844 - 02/26/07 08:47 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

it's okay, humans will just grow too much for their own good. in dangerously overpopulated areas like china and india, some plague will start up that is uncontrollable and it will wipe the whole face of the planet clean; cept for new zealand or those at antartica. then civilization will start anew. just like a large colony of festering rats. it's a natural process.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

#6611863 - 02/26/07 08:53 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I don't believe it's all as simple as apathy. Most of the worlds people are totally powerless. Even those of us in the west have very little power.

Besides that, why shouldn't it be easy in every town to recycle. Here in my town, where it's as simple as dropping the bags in front of your house, we recycle 50% of all waste. And once it heads to the depot I suppose it's not "waste" at all. :smile:

Corporal Kielbasa is right on the money as is funkface IMO.

And if there is apathy among some, that means those of us dubbed cultural creatives have to work harder. People are bombarded with all sorts of messages everyday. Many of them just useless consumer advertising. As more and more people switch over to the internet and put down their TV the time is ripe for us to make a bigger effort. Out on the street as well. Hell subvert a billboard if you have to. Our "crashing" as a species, our decent into total resource collapse, is a story that needs to be told and retold until MOST of us get it.

I don't know where you live, but I seriously doubt if I asked 100 people in my town if the environment mattered that even 15 people would say it didn't matter at all. Different people care about different issues. But only the truly stupid think the earth can just take all our abuse and that we can behave like this forever. Over time these people will be the minority IMO. And at that point they can believe what ever bullshit they want. As long as the rest of us have built a better world for ourselves.

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6611881 - 02/26/07 09:01 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

That is easy.

Fossil fuel depletion. Which is tied to overpopulation. Too many people running around consuming too many resources. It is unsustainable as we will learn the hard way within the next decade.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineYoschie99
nomad
Male

Loc: center of earth
    #6611903 - 02/26/07 09:14 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

the combination of over-population and depletion of resources.. if we keep going at the pace we're going, bad things are going to start happening pretty rapidly...

not that the world isn't already full of famine and disease, but it will get worse...

yos-

OfflineC20H25N3O
Calico Kahlia
 User Gallery

Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: zorbman]
    #6611905 - 02/26/07 09:14 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Just keeping with my thought: Global warming. an article claims that 13% of americans have not even herd of it:

Quote:

Behold, The Lost Americans

Who are the 13 percent of us who've never heard of global warming? And how can they be stopped?

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist

Friday, February 23, 2007

Behold, this bizarre demographic. Behold this odd and simmering and rather shockingly large hunk of the American population because chances are very good that at least some of them live right next door to you and breathe the same air and steal your parking spaces and often don't shower for six days at a stretch.

And maybe, just maybe you should be painfully, dreadfully aware of them because they are -- in their quiet, seemingly innocuous way -- far more deadly than any gay evangelical preacher or meth-lab gang-bangers and far more frightening than chicken-flavored soap bubbles for dogs and far more disconcerting than Britney Spears' barren skull.

They are, in short, the deeply uninformed. The inexplicably ignorant. The wondrously numb, the disconnected, the way, way out of touch. And they are, apparently, legion.

Let me be clear. I am not speaking merely about the ideologically lopsided and the intellectually misshapen. I am not speaking of, say, those armies of happy blank-eyed red-state 'Merkins who only read NASCAR-themed Harlequin romance novels and only drink Hooters-branded energy drinks (real products, both) and who like to bury their gay sex fantasies under mountains of happy homophobic sing-along God-fearin' megachurch denial.

Nor am I speaking of your average Bush-lovin' bobbleheads who appear to get their worldly information by way of licking the stuff found on the bottom of the rocks in front of Fox News HQ and then tripping for three days while watching "The O'Reilly Factor" from the bathtub. Everyone knows about them. And no one really takes them seriously anymore.

No, I am speaking of a group far more mysterious and far more bewildering. And they number, in fact, in the tens of millions, or fully 13 percent of the American population, if this recent, 46-nation poll is to be believed. Here is one way you shall know them: They have never heard of global warming.

You read that right. According to this ACNielsen poll, there are, right now, upwards of 40 million bipedal adult Internet-using Americans living in this nation who have never, not even once, seen a program about the most dire issue facing the planet today. They have not read about it in a newspaper or seen photos in a magazine or heard about it via an award-winning documentary or seen monkey-like Republican presidents deny its existence and spit on science and mock the simply insurmountable pile of evidence in the name of oil profits and flagrant cronyism.

Who are these people, you ask? Are they, say, millions of forgotten, heavily medicated shut-ins across the land? Are they the disregarded elderly? People living in the backwoods of Louisiana or Appalachia and therefore we can't expect them to actually read or watch television or care much about the health of the planet (except, of course, to take part in a broad, 46-nation Internet survey) because they're simply too busy hunting squirrels and making fire and picking their teeth with dinosaur bones?

Or perhaps they are the very young and the desperately teenage, so packed to the skullcap with screaming hormones they can barely navigate the lousy American education system much less name the current president or flirt well on MySpace or understand how many tons of greenhouse gases are pumped into the sky to crank out one PlayStation 3. You think? Does this explain it?

Verily, it does not. Not by a long shot. Not when, for example, fully 95 percent of Latin America has heard of global warming, and 75 percent think it's a "very serious" issue. Not when the United States ranks dead last among all 46 nations in its concern for the issue of dire climate change.

No, there is something more sinister at play here. Something darker and just a little disquieting. Do you know what it is? I don't, either. Do you ask, as I do, How the hell can this be? What sort of people are these? How can this survey be accurate? How can anyone even moderately attuned to the culture not have heard of global warming, even once? Is it not part of the popular lexicon? Is it not being used to sell sexy white jeans, fer chrissakes? What, pray tell, gives?

Here is what we do know: The United States is, by far, the world's worst contributor to the root causes of global warming, and yet we are the least concerned about it. Read that again: Despite how the United States pumps more pollutants and greenhouse gases into the atmosphere than China or India or Russia, a scant 42 percent of us see the problem as "very serious." Even China and India, those irresponsible mega-polluters of the developing world we like to scoff at for their flagrant industrial waste, are far more concerned and more universally informed.

It's enough to make you look at George W. Bush and want to slap him across the face with the razor-sharp paw of a dead polar bear. It's enough to make your heart shudder as you wonder who the hell we are, really, as an ostensibly proud people, as a supposedly "unified" nation, a global leader, a role model to the planet. Is the great United States really just some sort of moral joke? Are we really leading the world in anything except warmongering and defense spending and sexual hysteria and cool iPod accessories?

Sure, the overall lack of concern is understandable. After all, the vicious GOP spin machine has been working like a rabid dog for the last six years to demonize science and mock environmentalists and sneer at the Kyoto protocol and force eminent scientists to bury their dire findings lest Dick Cheney visit them in the night with a box of rat poison and a shotgun sneer.

And then there's this: Only 13 percent of congressional Republicans see global warming as a human-caused issue, compared to 95 percent of Dems. That's right, despite the National Academy of Sciences, despite the AAAS and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, despite the U.N., despite every reputable (and often, very conservative) scientific body on the planet, half of our own Congress snickeringly denies humans have had anything to do with global warming. Ah, how proud they must be.

But while that level of willful, greedy ignorance is relatively easy to explain, this weird hunk of gaping blindness, this intellectual black hole, isn't quite so easy to figure out.

Except for this: Maybe it's the end result of the great, chronic dumbing down of the American mind. Possible?

Maybe our 13 percent blindness rate is simply the brutal upshot, the logical conclusion of all the endless stripping of school textbooks of fact and perspective, of the push for silly literalist Christian dogma at the expense of true awareness, of the systemic neoconservative drive to get Americans to stop asking questions and stop thinking for themselves and to hate and mistrust the media (except, of course, Fox News), and wouldn't you be better off just enjoying your Wal-Mart candy corn and your "Everybody Loves Raymond" DVDs and just turn off your brain because it's all just far too complicated and messy and suspicious anyway, so really, why care at all?

And oh, those dark storm clouds? Pay no attention to those. Those are just God's happy lint balls. Go back to sleep.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/gate/archive/2007/02/23/notes022307.DTL&nl=fix

--------------------

Calico Kahlia come tell me the news
Calamity's waiting for a way to get to her
Rosy red and electric blue
I bought you a paddle for your paper canoe

Say you'll come back when you can
Whenever your airplane happens to land
Maybe I'll be back here too
It all depends on what's with you

Offlinetrippindad82
Trusted Cultivator of Trich
Male

Loc: down, down the hole
    #6611910 - 02/26/07 09:16 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

We need to end the world (US) of big money control. Until we put the power truly back into the hands of the average person, none of the truly "bigger" issues will ever be solved. Example: The war in Iraq IMO was nothing more than a war to secure an oil future. Had the billions of dollars been put into research for alternative fuels rather than a war to protect old/big money interests, we could be so much further ahead today than we currently are. IMO, most of our politicians today are more concerned with protecting their seat of power than protecting the interests of man's future. With man's future also comes the protection of the earth and the species that we share this earth with.

I agree more with the native american view on life. From the earth we come, to the earth we shall return. We are just borrowing this earth from our grandchildren and thus we need to respect it as such. Unfortunately, money will never be made from this true view on life, therefore, we'll never see it.

--------------------
Trying to explain a journey to someone who has never experienced it is like trying to explain what a zebra looks like to  blind person who has never seen a horse.

^^^The above matter may be a complete fantasy that I concocted out of possible boredom.^^^

--------------------------------------

Offlinefunkface
FriendlyStranger w/candy

Folding@home Statistics
    #6611939 - 02/26/07 09:35 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Psilocybeingzz said:
I don't know where you live, but I seriously doubt if I asked 100 people in my town if the environment mattered that even 15 people would say it didn't matter at all. Different people care about different issues. But only the truly stupid think the earth can just take all our abuse and that we can behave like this forever. Over time these people will be the minority IMO. And at that point they can believe what ever bullshit they want. As long as the rest of us have built a better world for ourselves.

Agreed. Most people care only about what effects themselves. Taxes are a huge political topic because it is the fucking entertainment branch of politics. It isn't or at least shouldn't be as big of an issue... it is just a dollar amount. People car most about how they are going to get hurt by anything and usually their minds are only on money because to most people money is the greatest power on this planet. Most people put money in front of everything else rather than issues/topics that can enact change. We care about a green piece of paper more than the issues that effect us and others around us, including the global community... just because they weren't born within the boarder of our country. Apathy is a problem in so far that people don't even care about their own elected officials and what they do... let alone what is going on with people on other continents in different situations.

People across the world are losing their languages, their identities, their countries, communities and their families. They are losing their own identity and are being forced to live now in a world community where they are bottom feeders. The carrying capacity of Earth goes between a few different numbers in the billions, I've seen it between 8 and 10. Thats scary shit. I don't even know if most people will wake up to the idea that the Earth can only sustain a finite amount of human beings. There are people dieing every day for reasons we can prevent but we are too wrapped up in celebrities and entertainment to give a flying fuck about anyone who's life is in jeopardy.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: funkface]
    #6611990 - 02/26/07 09:56 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Syle said:
it's okay, humans will just grow too much for their own good. in dangerously overpopulated areas like china and india, some plague will start up that is uncontrollable and it will wipe the whole face of the planet clean; cept for new zealand or those at antartica. then civilization will start anew. just like a large colony of festering rats. it's a natural process.

Or, even more likely in the next 30 years IMO, if serious changes are not made, we will face massive economica collapse, or massive wars over what's left. (maybe a mixture of both) But the ourcome will be very bad.

America and China are heading towards a time period that will cause serious strife between these nations. What do we think will happen when they both need the same resources??

America acts like a pig, no offense Americans, I like so many of you, and I have family in America. But when you make up 5% of thw world population, and use most of the resources that creates major problems. If everyone wanted to live like the average American(and don't confuse waste with the good life, we can have good lives and use less materials) we would need 4 planets.

But by 2050, we will all need, the world will need, 4 planets every year 4 planets of resources every year. That's is suicidal consumption. We are literally digging our own graves.

Which makes the fact that most refugees are today fleeing environmental collapse and not war make cystal clear sense.

It's change or die time. No exaggeration.

--------------------

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Re: What do feel is the most important issue facing the United States (or the World) today? [Re: zSDMF]
    #6611996 - 02/26/07 10:02 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Don't have the full album yet! :mad: Just a few songs. But modest mouse is awesome. I heard the lead singer say we must change our consumption patterns or we will all suffer serious physical and ecomonic problems. Well he really didn't say that. But he should.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds