Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

POO - POO - POO - Please Assist
    #6604138 - 02/23/07 09:53 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Hey All,

I’m having poo problems :frown:

I already searched and got the answers, but could still use a personal touch from the shroomery gang.

It’s the typical beginner troubles. I tried h/poo for the first time.  It was a miracle that I had success considering I used fresh poo, simply dried it (no leaching or aging), and pasteurized it.  It not only colonized, it fruited one dry ounce in the first flush from just a small zip lock container (I wish I had cloned that one); it was a sea of shrooms and hooked me on poo.

After that success, failures followed.  You would probably cry if you knew how many nice colonized grains have gone to waist.

The problems have been the same – FERMINTATION after spawning to poo.  Within one to two days, small zip lock and large monotub casing start stinking to high heaven.

I understand that the problems are from three probable sources:

1) Fresh Poo (verses leached, aged, or composted)
2) Too wet when spawned
3) Incubated (in TiT for small casings and an 80 degree room for monotubs)

Right now I have 20 grain jars ready to spawn, but after so many failures with monotubs, I really need a fool proof substrate for a successful experience.

That’s my main question; what should I use to guarantee a success?

I’ve been testing a number of h/poo teks and have or could use the following:

1) Fresh horse poo, shredded, thrown into a pillow case, and run through a full washing machine cycle (no soap obviously).  Then I used the same pillow case and pasteurized in at 160 for 2 hour.

This tek did NOT work for me.  The h/poo looked right (no brown crap – looked light and fibrous) and I made sure it had the right moisture content (I went a little drier to avoid fermentation), but it too fermented after spawning; all but one small casing.  I did however, incubate both large and small casings which probably aided in the fermentation process.

2) 50% h/poo and 50% straw, composted for 1 to 2 months (during winter)

I’m sure I did not compost this right.  I think I thought at the time all I had to do was throw it in a pile, wet it down, turn it every few days and presto, perfect poo.  NOT.  I did pasteurize it and case it with one small casing colonizing, but after we had some freezing nights, the compost didn’t look right.  Flies stared growing, seedlings, and weird looking fungi also grew.  I also never recalled the pile getting too warm/hot.

I still have this pile – should I toss it?

3) I started a second pile and the weather has been cooperating.  The pile is warm/hot, I turn it regularly and it seems OK.  But it’s going to need at least 2 more months.

Can a partly composted pile be used?  And how?

The above teks are not really doable or easy for me – not much room for a big compost pile and who really wants to use their washing machine for poo?

4) Weathering fresh poo – A week ago I got a ton of fresh h/poo and spread it out on my roof.  Weather is cooperating, raining every other day followed by sun. 

I can tell it’s not aged yet; it needs at least another week or two. So I’m not going to try to use this poo yet

5) Automated Composter (Used this tek - http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/84913#84913 )  This tek is amazing me.  I threw in about 80% poo and 20% straw.

Basically, this tek uses hot steam to first pasteurize for 4 hours at 65C, then lower the temp to 60C for several days until ammonia smell is gone (plus one or two more days), then lowering it again to 55C for a few more days.

I started this tek 5 days ago.  It was very easy to get the pasteurization temps up to 70C and then lower and hold it at 60C.  Within a few days, white fungi started growing all over, inside the poo nuggets and over the straw.  I didn’t even know what FireFang was until I read the tek, let alone seen it before.

The tub a built is twice as big as the tek, holding double the substrate, and since I used 80% poo, it’s taking a few extra days for the ammonia smell to leave (was far less today) so I haven’t gotten to the final phase.  Again, I’m just going to let this continue it’s thing until it’s ready.

I have to say, this tek is easier for me to tell when the poo is ready.  Being able to see FireFang and to be able to detect ammonia easily has an edge over the above teks (so far)

6) My final option is to simply use Coco Coir w/ a till used coffee grounds.  I’m really not sure how to do this though and would only try if you guys/gals think I’ll be able to have a successful monotub while I’m still figuring out the poo problems/teks

I’ll have to search more on this tek, but I assume one hydrates the coir with some water downed coffee water and maybe a cup or two of used coffee grounds to a standard brick of coir.  I’m also not sure if you PC this substrate before spawning or pasteurize it (I’m assuming PC it).

Should I try Coco Coir while I’m waiting for my poo to age/compost?

Any other information or advice would be very very helpful.

I hate being stuck, unable to successfully spawn.  Agar, WBS, LCs, and Glove Box work are easy and I’ve done it enough to be certain in my teks.

But I’m pulling out my hair trying to figure out poo and bulk substrate.

Thanks for the help all!

--------------------
Look at the atoms in the air and allow your mind to see the other planes that coexists in the same physical space where you sit. There are vibrational strings in each and every atom containing infinite realities, universes, and dimensions. Multidimensional beings and entities are RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! Only gravity and mental energy can pass through these different atomic branes and mushrooms can break the mental/spiritual membranes separating one reality from the other. TAKE A LOOK!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: POO - POO - POO - Please Assist [Re: fromthemoon]
    #6604200 - 02/23/07 10:19 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Maybe you should give coir a go,it doesn't get much easier than coir,it wont produce quite as well as hpoo but it will produce and its easier to use,Put a brick of coir in a bucket and pour a gallon of hot water on it,wait for it to cool and add your spawn and some spend coffee grounds,doesn't get much better than that

Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

Re: POO - POO - POO - Please Assist [Re: Blutjager]
    #6605142 - 02/24/07 10:00 AM (17 years, 27 days ago)

So you don't need to PC or pasturize the coir? That is easy. How much spent coffee does one add (I have searched for that answer, but I have yet to find a simple X coffee to 1 brick of coir answer)?

Also, anymore input from the poo experts. I know it's a long post w/ a long read, but if something looks wrong or raises a red flag for you (about poo), please post and tell me about it.

Thanks

--------------------
Look at the atoms in the air and allow your mind to see the other planes that coexists in the same physical space where you sit. There are vibrational strings in each and every atom containing infinite realities, universes, and dimensions. Multidimensional beings and entities are RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! Only gravity and mental energy can pass through these different atomic branes and mushrooms can break the mental/spiritual membranes separating one reality from the other. TAKE A LOOK!

Offlineenesi
On the Bus
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erf
    #6605367 - 02/24/07 11:43 AM (17 years, 27 days ago)

I've got a question to toss in on that coffee as well.

coffee is added for nitrogen correct? can one use something like blood meal, another nitrogen additive for gardening? What's the proper amount to add?

--------------------

Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

Re: POO - POO - POO - Please Assist [Re: enesi]
    #6606539 - 02/24/07 07:16 PM (17 years, 27 days ago)

Another good question - I know many nitrogen additives are very strong and although I'm not sure, I think coffee is too which is why people use spent ground instead of fresh.

Maybe seaweed extrat could be added to the hydration water, making sure not to get the nitrogen percentage (which I can't remember - 3.9% or something) too high.

------------

I'm going to try the coir Sun or Mon - and the "poo box steam machine" look ready so I'mm try that Monday too.

one poo tub and one coir tub should help with success while I learn more about shit :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6606785 - 02/24/07 08:48 PM (17 years, 27 days ago)

I don't even like coffee and only make it for this reason,I will fill just about as much as will fit in the filter,its like 8 little scoops worth although I realize how vague that is thats the best I can tell ya ,sorry,than I brew it and add all of it to a half brick of coir and 2-3 qts of spawn,I do this for each sweater box(16 qt) this gives me a substrate depth of 3-4 inches which is exactly what I want

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
    #6606786 - 02/24/07 08:50 PM (17 years, 27 days ago)

Quote:

Blutjager said:
I don't even like coffee and only make it for this reason,I will fill just about as much as will fit in the filter,its like 8 little scoops worth although I realize how vague that is thats the best I can tell ya ,sorry,than I brew it and add all of it to a half brick of coir and 2-3 qts of spawn,I do this for each sweater box(16 qt) this gives me a substrate depth of 3-4 inches which is exactly what I want

you can go to coffee shops and ask for their spent coffee grounds. its a lot cheaper than paying retail prices for coffee just to use for mushies

--------------------
----------

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: POO - POO - POO - Please Assist [Re: odium33]
    #6606852 - 02/24/07 09:28 PM (17 years, 27 days ago)

Yea,I'm usually just to lazy to do that and since I don't like coffee its not like I find myself sitting at a star bucks all that often,so I just toss a big giant thing of cheap coffee in the shopping cart and it lasts a while

Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

#6608449 - 02/25/07 11:56 AM (17 years, 26 days ago)

Thanks,

Ironically, I was at Starbucks yesterday and to my surprise, they had a bucket of spent grounds, already bagged, free for the taking.  It had a sign, "for your garden".

Of course I took it. :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleOptx
PronouncedAwp-Tiks
 User Gallery

#6608467 - 02/25/07 12:03 PM (17 years, 26 days ago)

why wouldn't you take the time to leech and age your poo?

--------------------
please do not take everything i say here so personally. welcome to teh internets!

Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

Re: POO - POO - POO - Please Assist [Re: Optx]
    #6608566 - 02/25/07 12:37 PM (17 years, 26 days ago)

Well - I am.

I am just trying a bunch of teks to find the one that works best for me. That's why I do have 2 compost piles, a tarp w/ a layer of poo weathering, and a steam composter. I've already learned the quick teks like running poo through a washing machine isn't worth it or really reliable.

As far as grain jars, I have tons ready to go, another ton half colonized and 50 lbs of bird seed available. I'm good to go with spawn, I'm now needing to get my substrate tek down.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate