Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlineictoasnrnsigwt
Weirder
meditation numbness
    #6605385 - 02/24/07 11:50 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I have only meditated a few times. The first 2 or 3 times I was sick while I meditated and my head went numb and I was no longer sick for about 4 hours after each session and I felt incredibly happy. The most reason time though my whole body went completely numb and I couldn't stand for 10 minutes or so and it was an insane feeling, just like the body high I get from shrooms. Do you think I'm concentrating too much on relaxing my body instead of my mind or does everybody go numb?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepalmersc
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Arkansas
Re: meditation numbness [Re: ictoasnrnsigwt]
    #6605598 - 02/24/07 01:12 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I too am experiencing some bizarre sensations during mediation. Right now for me it is a tightness in my feet and gut and a feeling of floating. It is common to feel very pleasant too in my experience.

From what I understand, do not focus on attaining these sensations. They are not the goal. They come and go. I have practiced vipassana meditation for about a year regularly, and I have yet to really have profound insights like psychedelics provide, though it has helped me work through some issues. I will continue to observe however.

Right now I am beginning to throw in some metta with the vipassana. I need to cultivate more love for myself and others and this seems to be a good way to go about doing it.

I have read that metta is the safe way to meditate without instruction from someone experienced. That it is possible to do damage unknowingly using the insight meditation techniques. I have chosen not to listen to this advice and am wondering if anybody out there knows anything about this.

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: meditation numbness [Re: palmersc]
    #6605886 - 02/24/07 02:53 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

these are natural side effects of the first and second jhanas (absorptions)
you can persevere or change position.
these effects come under the group heading of "joy" even though they are odd or even painful such as tingles numbness vibrations etc.
Naturally they are not targets
you are supposed to be aware of them but not distracted by them
they are a terrific learning opportunity for detatchment as it is meant in buddhism, and in yoga

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

Jump to top Pages: 1

MagicBag.co Shop: Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag, Contam-Resistant All-In-One Grow Bags