Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineduckduckgoose
Stranger
GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS
    #6591690 - 02/20/07 10:18 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Hi new to the board and first post. Been trying to grow lions mane from dowels plugs with little success. The method I have been using is pellet fuel, bird seed, and lime. Add boiled water to pellets soak bird seed over night and remove sunflower seed add lime. Using quart mason jar add mixture to jar and PC at 15psi for 1hr. Let cool and add plugs and tyvek on top with rubber band. Like I said I'm new to this and any help would be great.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: duckduckgoose]
    #6593286 - 02/21/07 10:50 AM (17 years, 30 days ago)

Simply mix up a substrate with moistened sawdust and a tablespoon or two of gypsum per cup of sawdust. Sterilize the sawdust, then drop the dowel plugs into the sawdust. When fully colonized, you can take the lid off the jar and it will fruit out the top.

The traditional way is to drill 1/4" or 5/16" holes into a fresh hardwood log, then drive the dowel pins in with a hammer. Seal the wound with melted wax to keep the critters out. This method takes longer than sawdust, but you'll get more flushes over a couple of years.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6593411 - 02/21/07 11:24 AM (17 years, 30 days ago)

Since you're new, I'll let you know that Roger is a great person to learn from - he's one of several walking encyclopedias of mushroom cultivation floating around here.

Now RR, a quick question for you. If you're growing the lion's mane in a (mason) jar, it will just fruit from the top? Is it hard to get it out in-tact? Also will fresh air exchange be a problem because of the tapering of the jar mouth?
Light and love,
JD

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #6593470 - 02/21/07 11:35 AM (17 years, 30 days ago)

well i found that lionsmane will crawl out of a closed jar just not vary well....so if you take your lid and crack it just ever so slightly it will crawl out and you will have a nice way to harvest it.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Offlineduckduckgoose
Stranger
    #6593568 - 02/21/07 12:03 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

Thanks RR I think with the bird seed even when PC still has allot of contaminates. Do you know how long it would take to colonize the jar. I have read that from start to fruiting should take about 30-40 days. Thanks again

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6593904 - 02/21/07 02:10 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

I have about fifty pf tek jars going with lions mane as we speak. I didn't get pictures last time, so I will this time. It's probably the fastest way to get lions mane, and it fruits right out the top of the jar. I've harvested 30 days after inoculation with liquid mycelium using this method.

If you're using sawdust-woodchips in a mason jar, they will also find their way to the exit. The high CO2 causes the main 'stem' to elongate, then when it hits the normal air above the jar, the traditional 'mane' forms. They're easy to pick if you don't mind smashing them a bit in the process. If it's for 'puff balls' to sell at the grocery store, you should probably use bag culture so they have a bit more room to develop without crowding. If you want them in perfect snocone shape, just fruit from a zip lock bag with a small hole cut for the fruits to form from.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineduckduckgoose
Stranger
    #6593990 - 02/21/07 02:38 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

Would it be OK to use the wood pellet fuel or is using sawdust better? Would like to get some liquid mycelium just don't know where to get ,thought this method would work better. Thanks

Offlinewaixingren
Male User Gallery

Loc: SW Florida
Trusted Cultivator
    #6594029 - 02/21/07 02:51 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

Roger have you noticed any differences in the flavor of lions mane with different substrates?

--------------------

Offlineblackmorelman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: waixingren]
    #6594234 - 02/21/07 03:48 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

I too am trying to grow lion's mane from the jar with Stamet's dowels. Currently I have some jars with oak wood shavings and bird seed nearly colonized. I've spoken with duckgoose about how I would like to isolate spores from a fresh lion's mane and then innoc a new substrate. Do you guys know if this is feasible and if so does this method prevent the strain from undergoing sinescence since you are going back and forth from spores to myc? Additionally, would anyone be able to provide some of this liquid lion's mane mycelium you are speaking of? I would love to try liquid innoc. Do you use it to innoc grain or grain-wood mixture? And how do you go from fruit body back to this liquid myc? I'm sure you can extend a liquid myc from syringe to syringe....but only for so long right? That's a lot of questions, but I will appreciate any answers you may be able to offer. Thank you.

OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: blackmorelman]
    #6594335 - 02/21/07 04:11 PM (17 years, 30 days ago)

Quote:

does this method prevent the strain from undergoing sinescence

Yes, it starts all over again

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Offlineblackmorelman
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: Andrew47]
    #6597553 - 02/22/07 02:33 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

What should I do? 4 of my lion's mane jars seem fully colonized and are producing tiny little lion's mane fruit bodies on the sides. What should I do if my ultimate goal is to collect clean spores from the mature fruit bodies? Should I loosen the lids only? Take them off completely and begin to mist? Mist once daily and replace the lid? It should be mentioned that these are mason jar lids that are currently inverted, have 2 holes punched in them with a tyvek filter over top of the lid and beneath the sealing ring. Thanks in advance for the help.

Offlineblackmorelman
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #6597580 - 02/22/07 02:40 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

Just thought of something. Would it be a good idea to empty a jar into a large ziplock, poke small holes in it and mist the outside? Thanks again.

OfflineAndrew47
Servant of allLife
Male

#6598925 - 02/22/07 06:47 PM (17 years, 29 days ago)

Well, there are some issues to keep in mind here.

If you are fruiting your mushrooms out in the open, it's possible that the prints won't come out clean. You can deal with this by using treated agar

The bag method is a popular one, I'm not familiar with Lion's Mane but it should work as long as it isn't terribly dry outside of the bag.

--------------------
It's easy! Send your clean prints to www.fsrcanada.com

Offlineshroomsynergy
Fungi Freak
Male

Loc: Andromeda
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: Andrew47]
    #6602057 - 02/23/07 01:07 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

god, i would kill for a lionsmane culture!!  anyone interested in a trade, or donation??:crazy:

RR, you using standard PF TeK to grow those, or filled with a sawdust mix???  sorry, but i got confused somewere there. lol

--------------------

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: shroomsynergy]
    #6602353 - 02/23/07 02:29 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

shroomsynergy said:
god, i would kill for a lionsmane culture!!  anyone interested in a trade, or donation??:crazy:

mee too

Offlineduckduckgoose
Stranger
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: StroFun]
    #6602612 - 02/23/07 03:34 PM (17 years, 28 days ago)

Thanks for all your help guys will post pics. if everything works out. Roger you should market some of that LC for lions mane.

Invisibleshroomhead0069
HIGH rankinghashmason

Loc: the lot
    #6604513 - 02/24/07 12:39 AM (17 years, 27 days ago)

[removed]

Edited by veggie (02/24/07 08:37 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: shroomhead0069]
    #6605162 - 02/24/07 10:14 AM (17 years, 27 days ago)

That's the sign of a good strain. They'll start to pin invitro at full colonization. I'd go ahead and break up the mycelium and spawn into sawdust/woodchips so you can get proper sized fruits for printing. Getting prints from hericium is a challenge in itself. You'll want to rig up something to hold the 'teeth' suspended over your printing paper. The spores are ejected from the tubes like bullets out of a rifle.

Here's my hericium isolated strain pinning invitro 13 days after inoculation of a quart jar of rye berries. There's no problem using a jar with pins like this for spawn to woodchip/sawdust bags. They take off and grow just fine.

I may start selling culture syringes in the future, but not now, sorry. I'm working too many hours trying to finish up my DVD so have no time for extra stuff.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Offlinehouston22texans
Stranger
    #20075282 - 06/02/14 07:40 PM (9 years, 9 months ago)

hey everybody I'm glad his sight exist I'm new to growing mushrooms but no a little bit. I have jars and liquid culture for lions mane. Could someone please give me the dummies version of what I need to do. And how to do my substrate. I would greatly appreciate it. I'm trying this out to see how I like it. May go to school to be a mycologist.

Offlinepseudotsuga
Male

Loc: usa
Re: GROWING LIONS MANE FROM PLUGS [Re: houston22texans]
    #20077739 - 06/03/14 10:41 AM (9 years, 9 months ago)

Welcome to the Shroomery!

It is generally better to start a new thread for such questions, rather than revive an old thread.

RR's videos are a great introduction to mushroom growing. It is only 9 dollars to download the entire video, which is a great deal especially if you compare to the price any book on mushroom cultivation.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds