Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Offlinefunknsoul
Male

Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :)
    #6601195 - 02/23/07 10:19 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, so I'm an avid music lover. I listen to everything. I love bluegrass, classic rock, (some) hip-hop, classical, metal, i grew up a punk rock kid and still see those shows too...mostly now I'm into the festi-scene bands though, i love bela fleck, umphrey's mcgee, phish, GD and so on.

But here's the thing... recently I started listening to some Cradle of Filth. I really enjoy it. I like how they incorporate this intelligent and complex church organ and other things like that. --- Basically, they're not making chug-a-chug metal like slipknot... they're making metal composures! I think it makes the music sound incredibly epic... and I really like it.

I was wondering if anyone can direct me to any other bands like this with that epic, dark, metal sound. It almost sounds like its from the dark ages in a church or something... (not speed metal for sure.. i've had enough of that.. love dragonforce though). I'm sure you guys get what I'm trying to describe. Anything with a singer as hard as cradle of filth's would be great, but i will mention that I just listend to children of bodom - and that sounds like chicken scratch to me.

I'm open to any suggestions though.
thanks ahead!

Edited by funknsoul (02/23/07 10:22 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinehobbitxkillyou
Shark wrestlingchampion

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: funknsoul]
    #6601207 - 02/23/07 10:26 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Check out Dimmu Borgir - Death Cult Armeggedon...or at least the song Progenies of the Great Apocalypse from that album.

--------------------
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.

-H. S. Thompson

OfflinekRZ
goa freak
Loc: Norway
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: hobbitxkillyou]
    #6601232 - 02/23/07 10:41 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hi. There is so much music for you to explore.. The realm of black metal =)

I would advise you to check out this web page;

http://www.northern-silence.de/index2.htm

They got a lot of underground artists you will love...

Also classic  black metal you may like;

Ancient - even have some psychedelic influence on some songs/atmosphere...Album "Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends " comes to mind
Emperor
Old mans child
Limbonic Art

Also Dimmu Borgir as previously mentioned; Check out first album "StormblÄst" and "Enthrone Darkness Thriumphant".. Very nice stuff..

And so much more :wink:

Its music with a lot of feelings, i like it alot!

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #6601253 - 02/23/07 10:49 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You might like Opeth:thumbup:

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineWysefool
I AM SKELETON JELLY
Male User Gallery
    #6601291 - 02/23/07 11:07 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Demoniac - The Fire and the Wind

is a good album, it has a lot of members from Dragonforce but it's more death metal style.

--------------------
GET MAD SWAG MONEY BIG PIMPIN

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #6604460 - 02/24/07 02:23 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Do yourself a favor and check out the following bands:

Opeth
Death (Particularly the albums: Human, Individual Thought Patterns, The Sound of Perseverence, Symbolic)
Dream Theater
Meshuggah
Therion
Soilwork
Green Carnation
Into Eternity
Cacophony

want more suggestions I'm your oyster

--------------------

OfflineBeebo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: Shroomism]
    #6607723 - 02/25/07 05:36 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Lucca Turili, Old man's child, Deicide, and Dimu Bogier * Sp* oh, I highly suggest eluveitie but, here's a link to check if you like

http://www.eluveitie.ch/music/ven/druidcut.mp3

--------------------

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #6607776 - 02/25/07 07:00 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Emperor - Anthems to the welkin at dusk

you'll love that one! other emperor stuff too, maybe the nightside eclipse sounds a little 'older' and less fast and will suit your taste better

Abigor - Supreme immortal art

might suit your taste too, completely different than any metal you've heard.

Covenant - Nexus polaris

I'm sure you will dig this one!

Invisibleit stars saddam
Satan

Loc: Spahn Ranch
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: stefan]
    #6608385 - 02/25/07 01:22 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

stefan said:
Emperor - Anthems to the welkin at dusk

you'll love that one! other emperor stuff too, maybe the nightside eclipse sounds a little 'older' and less fast and will suit your taste better

:thumbup:

I had just finished listening to Anthems from beginning to end before I read this post.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #6613357 - 02/26/07 06:52 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Try checking out the genre of black metal. Two good suggestions that come to mind right now would be Enslaved, Emperor and Bathory. Most black metal might be a bit harsh and not what you're looking for, but have a look around. From what you're describing (music that sounds like it's from the dark ages), i'd suggest looking at some folk black metal bands (Agalloch might be a good start) or symphonic black metal.
Good on you for experimenting. What's the worst that can happen eh?
Try picking up a Terrorizer magazine (or Metal Hammer, if you can't find it) and look through the CD review section. This will give you an idea of what certain band/albums sound like and you can go with it from there.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: Sheepish]
    #6615427 - 02/27/07 04:18 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

From what you're describing (music that sounds like it's from the dark ages)

speaking of music that sounds like from old ages.. check out:
Satyricon - The shadowthrone

InvisibleIndividual
Bass Addict
Male User Gallery

Loc: Reality Loophole
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: stefan]
    #6615570 - 02/27/07 05:52 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

stefan said:
speaking of music that sounds like from old ages.. check out:
Satyricon - The shadowthrone

I liked Volcano as well.

--------------------
THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIBERTY <---                                               

Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

#6615619 - 02/27/07 06:27 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You might like a band called Amon Amarth.

I don't listen to them every too much anymore, but they're pretty darn good. They were the first band I listened to as I started getting into Death Metal, but they don't really sound like death metal if that's not what you're into.

It's actually called Viking Metal. Legend has it that the term was coined around their music.

--------------------
Today while walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish he'd stay away

OfflineGrimTroll
Cultural Terrorist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: flower_child]
    #6616424 - 02/27/07 01:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Black Metal is the answer

hell try some Zyklon. (what became of emperor)
Ok here we go, in alphabetical order.

Akercocke - British Black SATAN Metal, fucking brilliant music.
Suggested Albums - Words The Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone.

Arcturus - a super band of Norwegian Black Metallers. VERY Psychedellic friendly. Brilliant stuff. (ANYTHING is good)

Bathory - Original Black Metal, GREAT shit. later stuff is very viking. But excellent, (Albums Nordland I and II are excellent, last two before he died)

Behemoth - Polish Black/Death These guys are brutal and technically delicious. (Demi-God,Zos Kia Cultus, The Forest Dreams Eternally, Satanica)

Behexen - Very Dark Black Metal, has very interesting elements added to it. (Albums: By The Blessing Of Satan) Very good.

Belphegor- Ok These guys are from Austria, fucking brialliant band, listen to their new album "Pestapokalypse VI". On YouTube search "Hells Ambassador" and watch it, you'll love it, it's fucking heavy.

Borknagar - This is another Norwegian super band, absolutely brilliant works. anything by them is good, and their new "Origin" album is strictly acoustic and drums and such with string instruments, fucking awesome album.

Burzum - if you dont know who Burzum is, just google is, One man band from Norway by a man of the name "Varg Vikernes" He murdered the guitarist of Mayhem, and now he's in Jail. (also for burning a church) But his music is quite briallint. VERY emotional. very .... dark and mentally .... stimulating. I supppose... he has a lot of stuff.

Dark Funeral - Classic black metal band, pretty basic, but they love to play their shit. Their drummer is pretty fast as well.

Darkthrone - Classic dark Jam music. Cold and Frostbitten black metal from Norway. started pretty early in the scene with the rest... Soulside Journey is an excellent album. Transylvanian Hunger, Panzerfaust, Goatlord... oh man etc.

Emperor - They live up to their name. From Norway - Probably one of my favorite bands of all time, fucking GENIOUS. any album.

Enslaved - From Norway, early stuff was primitive viking, very good, a lot more "classic" black metal style, but once Eld came along they started to become more melodic, then they hit pure Psychdellia. All of their shit is AWESOME, check out Monumension for a chilled album, Mardraum for FAST agressive (translates to Nightmare), Isa is very good tripping album, and their latest album is OK, but I dunno.

Enthroned - Darker Black Metal pretty underground, pretty good stuff.

Gorgoroth - Supreme Norwegian Black Metal, these guys can hammer out some serious music; their latest release "Ad Majoram Sathanas Gloraim" Hammers god damned hard, and with Frost behind drums, it's a fucking death train.

Hades Almighty - EXCELLENT band, download anything by them, my favorite album is "Millenium Nocturne" VERY good, primitive drumming style, but really good. guitar riffs are great, and they sing about mind expansion. Check out the lyrics to "Dream Traveller" by them, brialliant lyrics.

Ildjarn - VERY raw raw raw, makes Darkthrone sound like flowing water. But it's almost a new style of making music, hard to describe, can be hypnotic, and can cause almost a presence of "being" in the song. (good while tripping for a suprise)

Immortal - KINGS. download anything by them immediately.

Manegarm - Fantasy Styled Folkish Black Metal - DAMN good, very melodic, lots of headbanging, good times, and good drinking metal, haha. (suggested album - Dodsfard) <-- pure brilliance.

Marduk - think of a legion of Panzer tanks destroying things. and you have Marduk, BRUTAL as hell, Fast as fuck, and takes no prisoners. Take a listen. They are pleasing.

Mayhem - Classic, if you dont know what to start with, get De Mysteriis Dom Satanas, and Grand Declairation Of War. Hellhammer behind drums (also in Arcturus and stuff) He's a god behind the drum set.

Nehemah - Hailing from France these guys are grim and melodic, very good music, anything by them is acceptable to see where they go.

Nile (not black Metal) Brutal Death - But it's fucking intelligent, and brillaint. did I mention Brutal.

Nokturnal Mortum - From the Slavic lands of Ukraine. these guys create brilliant mysic black metal, very mentally stimulating. (Albums to check out: Lunar Poetry, Goat Horns)

Thorns - get the album Thorns. you need it. it's NUTS. Just get it. Crazy album. like nothing out there really. any fan of good black metal will enjoy this.

Thy Serpent - Picture yourself in a fantasy land where everything is lovely and grim. hehe. These guys paint a pretty fucking picture with their music. (albums Forests Of Witchery (brillaint) and Lords Of Twilight)

Thyrane - these guys dont get the recognition they deserve. anything by these guys is a surely positive choice. (I suggest Symphonies Of Infernality)

Ulver - Gods. (Garm also in Borknagar, Arcturus etc.) This music is a mind fuck, Psychdellic purely. Older stuff is genious black metal, later stuff turns electronic, but equally as intelligent. alllllll good.

Woods Of Ypres - Hailing from Ontario, Canada, these guys arent very well known, but their album "Persuit Of The Sun - Allure Of The Earth" in my opinion is a masterpeice, the lyrics are fucking excellent. it all merges perfectly.

Theres sooooo much more, but I am on my lunch break, so I can only type so much before I have to go. which is now. peace.

--------------------
Now pick me up night and whirlwind and let me ride with you to peace of mind and nothing to rebel...

Edited by GrimTroll (02/27/07 02:00 PM)

Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: GrimTroll]
    #6617301 - 02/27/07 06:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

^^^ I'd say that guy definitely has you covered.  :headbanger:

--------------------
Today while walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish he'd stay away

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: flower_child]
    #6617397 - 02/27/07 06:50 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

No shit. He's said what we all wanted to say and more. :cool:
I don't know if the original poster would like this, but some of the "ambient" black metal around is quite interesting. 2 bands that come to mind right now are The Axis of Perdition and Blut Aus Nord. Rather than frantic blastbeats, it's using extremely dark, almost ambient/industrial soundscapes. The Axis of Perdition do this really well - I recommend Deleted Scenes From The Transition Hospital. Basically it sounds like the darkest moments in the Silent Hill game soundtracks, and twisted to be 10 times worse.

OfflineGrimTroll
Cultural Terrorist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: Sheepish]
    #6623374 - 03/01/07 08:38 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Sheepish, I fucking love your avatar. haha "NECRO JESUS!!!".

I am going to check out the bands you mentioned, I love Ambient Black Metal. Thanks for the suggestions.

--------------------
Now pick me up night and whirlwind and let me ride with you to peace of mind and nothing to rebel...

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

#6634696 - 03/04/07 05:56 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I found an album you might like (listening to it right now - forgot all about it :frown: ). It's a band called Aborym and the album is Kali Yuga Bizarre (yes, it is bizarre). Also, another band called ...In The Woods; try their album Heart of the Ages. A similar band is also called Green Carnation.

Let us know what you liked and didn't like. I'm interested to hear what you've enjoyed.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: GrimTroll]
    #6635020 - 03/04/07 07:38 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Fuck yeah you said Borknagar! :thumbup:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineDekozn
Stranger than kindness

Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6637362 - 03/05/07 01:53 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm a big fan of moonspell especially the early albums like, Under the Moonspell, Wolfheart and of course Ireligious. You gotta love that Opium song.
As for Cradle I'm not a big fan tough I liked the dusk and her embrace album but they can't seem to realize it on stage.

--------------------
Organized people are just to lazy to search for their stuff...

Edited by Dekozn (03/05/07 02:04 PM)

OfflineBahaga
I heard it on Wednesday...
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA
Re: Dark metal - Hippie listening to cradle of filth :) [Re: kRZ]
    #12344897 - 04/06/10 10:20 PM (11 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

kRZ said:
Hi. There is so much music for you to explore.. The realm of black metal =)

I would advise you to check out this web page;

http://www.northern-silence.de/index2.htm

They got a lot of underground artists you will love...

Also classic  black metal you may like;

Ancient - even have some psychedelic influence on some songs/atmosphere...Album "Mad Grandiose Bloodfiends " comes to mind
Emperor
Old mans child
Limbonic Art

Also Dimmu Borgir as previously mentioned; Check out first album "StormblÄst" and "Enthrone Darkness Thriumphant".. Very nice stuff..

And so much more :wink:

Its music with a lot of feelings, i like it alot!

Stormblast was not their first album, it was titled For All Tid and it was their best album

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order