Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Learning experience...(with coffee solution)
    #6564064 - 02/13/07 06:50 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

PROLOGUE:
---------
(pics & processes followed to be detailed the following posts)

The whole thing is a learning experience and to be honest, I fully expect AFOAF to screw the whole thing up.  It is, after all, in his nature.

All and all it's pretty cool and since he's letting me be the annoying overly myco-curious onlooker.  That being said, since the jars are currently in the pressure cooker I've been asked to provide a couple foto's along the way to the forum inhopes of correcting any major fubars.

OK, enough crap.  The details...
--------------------------------
- 4 x PF (BRF) Jars distilled water w/ 40% diluted coffee
- 4 x PF (BRF) Jars distilled water as control

Of those four, two each are field capacity vermiculite and two each are 65cc of fluids precisely.  He fully acknowledges that the sample sizes are reduculously small for any meaningful data, but it was fun for him... :shrug:

Below is a log of the precise steps he took and the questions and concerns he's having along the way...

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

- How Myco-Curious Prepares Coir & Compost Substrates
- How Myco-Curious Builds A Bulk Humidifier
- How Myco-Curious Builds An Automated Greenhouse
------------------------------------
figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Learning experience...(with coffee solution) [Re: mycocurious]
    #6564220 - 02/13/07 07:20 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

OK, here's the start of it all...

Brown Rice used was brought from the organic section of the grocery store, lol... a sacrifice of sorts and was ground up in the coffee grinder typically used for creating his canni-flour for his sweet tooth.  :lol:  There was no mention of preservatives, but I doubt that means much...so that's *iffy* #1

Nothing really special in these sets of pictures, but I'm sure that'll change soon enough down the road as things start to come together.

All and any questions you may have are more than welcome, I'll try to respond as quickly as possible... Even I'm starting to get nervous about the whole thing, it all seems so damn precarious. lol.

Two questions he has currently are:
1. Is it very important to create that foil lip?
He did not create the crinkle the foil at the bottom to create the lip as described in the PF-TEK for Simple Minds, and the only protection the injection ports have from the steam is the single layer of foil wrapped around them.

2. How much is too much bathing water?
We've both read of waterlogged cakes coming out of PC's, but in the heat of the moment when he was firing it up for the first time he followed the manufacturer's canning recommendations of approx 4 qt's of water inside his 22 qt pressure cooker.  Now he's a little paranoid that it's too much and will ruin the cakes.

-----------
OK, that's about it...updates to follow, I can't wait until he calls me with the updates regarding innoc'ing them up. :grin:

--------------------
:justdontknow: Don't mistake my tone for a "matter-of-fact" attitude.  I'm just presenting what I believe to be correct, until I'm corrected...

figgusfiddus said:
Keep in mind that inoculating or whatever in front of a flow hood won't help your bad substrate, your bad inoculant, your bad sterile procedure, etc. etc. etc. It's not a +3 flowhood of magic, it's just a tool.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6564586 - 02/13/07 08:47 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Half pint jars should be elevated completly out of the water. Use whatever means you have, but if they're sitting in water, it will splash up and under the foil, ruining the moisture content. 1 pint jars can have the water around the bottom, but don't let the water come more than a third of the way up them. Make darn sure they're not sitting on the bottom of the PC, or they'll come out cracked and/or broken.

The foil is to protect the holes from dripping water that falls off the lid of the PC. Due to the temperature difference, condensation forms on the lid and rains back down on the jars during the whole cycle. That's why we use foil. Steam doesn't enter the holes.

It sounds like you made two jars too wet, and the other two too dry. The dry ones should be ok because you can soak 24 hours at full colonization. 'Field capacity' is not a measurement to use with the brf tek. It's one cup water, one cup brf, and two cups verm, or any amount as long as the ratio is 1-1-2. 65 ml is a bit light, and depending on your definition of field capacity, those two are probably too wet.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Learning experience...(with coffee solution) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6564728 - 02/13/07 09:24 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Half pint jars should be elevated completely out of the water.

It sounds like you made two jars too wet, and the other two too dry.
RR

And this is why we're here, to get it wrong and learn a little. :grin:  It's also the reason I think we went with a PF-TEK as the very first attempt - it's so popular everyone can critique it... and to be honest, the practical experience in sterilization, inoculation and incubation provides a pretty much universal (relatively speaking, of course) basis to build upon.

That being said...
----
The jars were touching water, probably about 0.5-1.0" deep within the water, while standing on the trivet.  As much as that seems, it still wasn't enough that we could hear the jars moving during the process - which he was worried about as it initially fired up.

As far as "field capacity", I think that's an error on my part.  What I had meant is that for half the jars he put in enough "extra" water into the mix until it looked like the bowl seemed to be "sweating" while stirring the mixture whereas the other half of the jars where done at a precise 1:1:2 ratio which tended to make the bowl look a good deal dryer for some reason.

---
LOL, we shall soon see tomorrow when I get the reports of how the jars look for inoculation.  Speaking of which, I need to ask a question for my own benefit....

If only given a choice between the Oven Tek and simply sterilizing a small bathroom area, which would you recommend?  For some reason he's not keen on a cardboard box as a glovebox type solution. :roll:

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6564754 - 02/13/07 09:33 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

cardboard glovebox type solution is actually the best of the three. :smile:

oven tek is bogus.  if anything the air convection from the heat is detrimental.  moving air is the enemy of sterile procedure (well, with the exception of a formal clean room or hepa flowhood :smile:)

a small room is fine, don't need to be extravagent in cleaning it, the fact that there's less air movement means less airborn nasties that can land on your project... the very same principle a glovebox works.  when doing any sort of syringe-based injections the key is to not allow the needle to be exposed to air any longer than necessary.  keep it capped, wrapped in an alcohol soaked paper towel, cotton ball, or piece of sponge. :thumbup:

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Learning experience...(with coffee solution) [Re: creamcorn]
    #6564824 - 02/13/07 09:53 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

creamcorn said:
Wrapped in an alcohol soaked paper towel, cotton ball, or piece of sponge. :thumbup:

I find that a piece of a makeup supplicating sponge soaked in alcohol works well and doesn't fall off

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Learning experience...(with coffee solution) [Re: Blutjager]
    #6565882 - 02/14/07 08:00 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

OK, here are the pics for the inoculation phase phase.

He created a homemade alcohol lamp from a baby food jar, zippo wick, and denatured alcohol for flame sterilization.

The environment was a bathroom counter bleach cleaned, Lysol sprayed thoroughly throughout the entire area and allowed to settle for 15 minutes.  When work began, everything was immediately rubbed down with alcohol again.

The incubation chamber is the shelf above his water heater.  Using a weather station that has a min/max feature, he's discovered that the shelf stays between 77-80 degrees on it's own so long as the door remains shut.  Com'on that's seriously not fair, damn it as I have no such luck.  :whine:

Here's an important - to him - question is regarding when you remove the foil when knocking them up.  When he was removing the foil there was, on some of them, a drop of water or two under it.  Condensation, I'm sure, but he's paranoid...

This is a shot of all of them to check mixtures & moisture.  :shrug:

I'm sorry, from all the pics I've seen, this looks pretty much text-book perfect.  Opinions?  This is one of the (more wet) caffeinated jars.

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

OfflineWillsk8t4shrooms
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Utrecht, Netherlands
    #6565984 - 02/14/07 08:54 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Although it is pretty difficult to judge the correct water content from a picture it looks fine. Every time I steam sterilize my jars (1/2 pints) I never put anything to hold the jars above the water and usually the water is up 1/4 of the jar and I've never had a problem with water content in my jars. Everything else looks good. Keep us updated.:thumbup:

--------------------

“we have some shroomers in aisle twelve, I repeat, shroomers on aisle twelve.”

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Learning experience...(with coffee solution) [Re: Willsk8t4shrooms]
    #6566554 - 02/14/07 11:52 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

lol, I have to tell you, watching the inoculation process was a trip. It all sounds so easy in theory but in practice it can be rather nerve wracking that first time.

He was forgetting which port he had injected on the current jar and while watching the solution drip down the side of the glass jar he would forget he's supposed to be watching how much he's disbursing and when it was all said and done, he ended up using 11cc (1cc from second syringe) to knock up eight jars, lol.

The remote wireless sensor for the temp helps curb "the urge" to peek on them - or so he says - I'm sure he's played with them at least a dozen times... j/k

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#6573749 - 02/16/07 05:46 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

quick update:

the ambient temp of the incubation chamber is 79-80 degrees but the actual jars seem rather cold. he's a little bummed out because he is worried that these couple days without the properly maintained internal heat of the jars he's be exposing them to opportunity to contaminate. bummer. he's also a lot bummed because he can't really do anything to rectify the situation until Monday because of his busy weekend.

without a means to test the actual temps of the jars themselves all he could say was that they felt decidedly "cool" for supposedly being in a 79-80 degree temp chamber for two days.

It's not that he's ruling them out, he's just feeling a little apologetic, heh. He also hoped that today, during his first peek at them since inoculation two days ago that he would have seen the slightest evidence of some activity, however there was none - across the board - for all eight jars.

I told him at this point no news is good news and worry about the temps Monday. Cooler is better than warmer in this situation, right?

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6573862 - 02/16/07 08:11 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

when we talk about measuring incubation temps, we're talking the ambient air within the incubator.  79-80 is perfect.  measuring the ambient air is what you want to do, not the jars themselves.  no worries.  the jars won't "feel" warm really... the human body is 98.5F after all... holding something in your hand that's 20 degrees less than your hand isn't going to necessarily feel warm. :smile:

it would be extremely fast/rare/lucky to see visable growth from spores after 2 days.  you'll probably start to see little white fuzzballs appear at the inoculation sites within a few more days.  they may very well be right on schedule...  don't panic until 2 weeks or so have passed... they can be late bloomers sometimes :wink:

somewhat cooler is safer anyway, as long as they're at least at room temperature they'll do fine... anything above (but not exceeding around 80F) they'll go quicker.  regardless it sounds like your setup is pretty well optimal anyway.  just trust it and be a little more patient.

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#6574948 - 02/16/07 03:02 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

that's cool although reading from another thread, he may have ended up keeping the entire jar sterile after inoculation because he most definately did not cool the needle after flame sterilizations between injections. Several times sizzles were heard when the solution was forced through the needle.

LOL - now that definately would be a learning lesson.

Lesson #1: don't sterilize your spores by not cooling the hot needle down, lol.

But still, considering he used 11cc's of spore solution for eight jars, I'm sure at least _something_ had to survive and germinate. We shall soon see...

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6575039 - 02/16/07 03:31 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

something should have survived

when flaming a needle i allow it to get red hot and inject very soon after!  the first drop or two cools the needle... doesn't take much, there's not much metal there to hold the heat.  you might sacrifice a very small amount of solution but the majority that flows through is perfectly viable.  think of the hour that you spend sterilizing jars.  heat needs to be applied for a period of time to de-activate spores.  obviously flame or red hot metal does it almost immediately, but that split second solution flows through, it isn't warmed to any appreciable level, and the needle is cool before you know it.

i promise you the only issue i see here is patience.  stop looking for problems where there are non and give them some time to do their thing before you blame yourself for any wrongdoing. :wink:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#6575560 - 02/16/07 06:23 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

:commonsense:

heh, that says all doesn't it.  seriously though, this is some significantly fun stuff.  heh.  I need a microscope!  :gethigh:

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#6589164 - 02/20/07 11:41 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

day six:

you can definitely see them starting to take off, and coincidentally it's now obvious which injection ports were missed during inoculation because no mycelium growth is taking place along those areas. I'm told it will all catch up in due time.

The final picture is just gratis, as close of a close-up my camera would allow in macro mode.

To the right / top of the jar, those thicker fibers forming, would those be the first bits of dikaryotic mycelium? Just trying to compare "real world" to what i'm reading about...

That is the point, right?

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

#6598426 - 02/22/07 05:18 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

day eight:

Now, just for the hell of it, look at the second picture, that one little spot. let me show you a close-up of it...

I doubt it's a contaminate, and if it was, i would probably let it continue along just to watch it spread so I can learn more from it.

However, paranoia aside, is it normal for the mycelium to random jump out of "nowhere" like that during colonization. It definitely made me nervous when I was taking the photo's.

Opinions, comments, etc?

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

OfflineWillsk8t4shrooms
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6598843 - 02/22/07 06:33 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Over that spot is there a hole you made for inoculation? That looks like mycelium. Some of your spores were lost b/c you didn't let the needle cool so this could of been a spot that had a couple spores survive and germinate since it is day 8 it is highly possible.

Maybe you forgot inoculating this spot.:grin:

--------------------

Invisiblemycocurious
Mike O. Kuerias
Male User Gallery

Re: Learning experience...(with coffee solution) [Re: Willsk8t4shrooms]
    #6599415 - 02/22/07 08:32 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

that's just it, the new spot is not over any inoculation port. it's a completely random area between two inoculation areas. It literally just looks like the mycelium in the center of the cake is moving outward from that spot. I'm going to make sure to keep taking pictures of the area to track it, but yea. it's fun to look at...

--------------------

figgusfiddus said:

OfflineWillsk8t4shrooms
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6599490 - 02/22/07 08:49 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

That could be it also but yeah keep an eye on it if it turns out to be a contam throw it away right away. Best of luck.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Injection Grain Bag