Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]
Offlinegooddrugguy
Male

Loc: Subjectiville
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: Maverick]
    #6592217 - 02/20/07 11:58 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DRTMaverick said:
Yeah I don't take pills, I smoke a lot of weed now. But if you're saying that chemical imbalances don't exist, that's just assinine and ridiculous. How do you explain schizophrenia and other severe mental disorders? Think it's something they can just flip a switch in their mind themselves and they're fine?

Who says things like anxiety and depression can't be just as severe as a severe case of schizophrenia? And who says it can't be chemical imbalances? Sure, if you haven't experienced it, then I can see why you'd think that way, but ask someone with schizophrenia or with autism if they can just change.

Also, it's not just that the weed is controlling it, it's like it doesn't exist at all when I smoke it.

Schitzophrenia and autism is in a league of its own. In those situations, that isn't a chemical imbalance, that is existing in another plain of conscousness. When I become anxious it is because I feel like I am out of control of a situation; I am having a sensory overload. Shrooming, as a matter of fact, played a big part in me overcoming this. By shrooming, I learned how to just let go. It is hard to explain, but something you will immediatly understand when you can do it. In a way, it is just allowing everything to rush past you, having no need to be in control of it, and giving in to the chaos of existence. Anxiety arrises when I fight the flow of life, or I get stuck on a negative thought and over-examine it from all sides. When I was younger, I said the same thing to everyone else, "You don't understand, it is not like I can just make my brain do what I want", but when I look back, it seems everyone had learned a lesson long ago that I had never learned. It isn't like you are trying to control your brain into doing what you want it to do, it is more like just letting go. Honestly dude, you can do it with no meds and no help. It is hard as shit, and there are a million easy roads out, but if you struggle, and you suffer, you will learn something about yourself in the end as well as be able to live a more content life.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejohnjohnson
Stranger

Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: gooddrugguy]
    #6592722 - 02/21/07 04:54 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i believe depression is real, maybe not every person prescribed meds really needs them, but a lot of people do.

Offlinevintage_gonzo
Stranger

Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: gooddrugguy]
    #6593799 - 02/21/07 01:29 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

gooddrugguy said:

Schitzophrenia and autism is in a league of its own. In those situations, that isn't a chemical imbalance, that is existing in another plain of conscousness. When I become anxious it is because I feel like I am out of control of a situation; I am having a sensory overload. Shrooming, as a matter of fact, played a big part in me overcoming this. By shrooming, I learned how to just let go. It is hard to explain, but something you will immediatly understand when you can do it. In a way, it is just allowing everything to rush past you, having no need to be in control of it, and giving in to the chaos of existence. Anxiety arrises when I fight the flow of life, or I get stuck on a negative thought and over-examine it from all sides. When I was younger, I said the same thing to everyone else, "You don't understand, it is not like I can just make my brain do what I want", but when I look back, it seems everyone had learned a lesson long ago that I had never learned. It isn't like you are trying to control your brain into doing what you want it to do, it is more like just letting go. Honestly dude, you can do it with no meds and no help. It is hard as shit, and there are a million easy roads out, but if you struggle, and you suffer, you will learn something about yourself in the end as well as be able to live a more content life.

i get exactly what you mean about letting go and not knowing exactly what im doing but knowing that its working. Ive done this in social situations and its helped out a lot. good post

thanks for all of the replys

Edited by vintage_gonzo (02/21/07 01:30 PM)

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: vintage_gonzo]
    #6593880 - 02/21/07 02:00 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I think depression is a real condition caused by sitting on your ass.

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: Brainiac]
    #6593945 - 02/21/07 02:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Depression, fake? Yeah, people with bi polar are just faking it, right? Give me a break guys. There's a difference between situational depression (which pretty much everyone can encounter) and some unescapable depression that follows you round like a sick, stray dog. I'm sure bi polar enjoy the mood swings which they can't control.

InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: Sheepish]
    #6594020 - 02/21/07 02:49 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

My doctor told me it's society's fault.

OfflineViveka
refutation bias
 User Gallery

Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: Sheepish]
    #6594792 - 02/21/07 05:58 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Just look at the fact that they came up with "bipolar II" and you can see what a load of BS the whole affair is.

"Swinging bipolar (II) presumes at least one major depressive episode, plus at least one hypomanic episode over at least four days. The same characteristics as mania are evident, with the disturbance of mood observable by others, but the episode is not enough to disrupt normal functioning or necessitate hospitalization, and there are no psychotic features."

Oh, so bipolar II is a label you can put on pretty much anyone, even if they don't have severe mania, in order to sell them drugs. Total bullshit.

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: Viveka]
    #6595068 - 02/21/07 06:59 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Bi-Polar II, Revenge of Bi-Polar ... in theaters this summer!

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: Maverick]
    #6595225 - 02/21/07 07:35 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

DRTMaverick said:
Yeah I don't take pills, I smoke a lot of weed now.  But if you're saying that chemical imbalances don't exist, that's just asinine and ridiculous.  How do you explain schizophrenia and other severe mental disorders?  Think it's something they can just flip a switch in their mind themselves and they're fine?

Who says things like anxiety and depression can't be just as severe as a severe case of schizophrenia?  And who says it can't be chemical imbalances?  Sure, if you haven't experienced it, then I can see why you'd think that way, but ask someone with schizophrenia or with autism if they can just change.

Also, it's not just that the weed is controlling it, it's like it doesn't exist at all when I smoke it.

I totally agree with you. :thumbup:

But, they have now found that THC actually increases serotonin levels just a bit. :grin: Great news if you ask me.

--------------------

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6595314 - 02/21/07 07:59 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Psilo, I'm not directly replying to you. You're just the last poster.

And I only had time to read to page three of this.

But I am shocked. Do those of you "spiritual" enthusiasts realize that there is also no concrete way to prove there's a spirit? Just because we can't measure depression in terms of neurons firing yet doesn't mean it's any less real than your hodge-podge fantasy worlds of eastern religion. In fact I'll go out on a limb here and say that I'm also sick of people buying into eastern religion because it's alternative. Fuck off, hippies. Karma is just another big brother and depression and pain are very real, they are not simple marketing ploys to take your hard earned money. Have any of you even heard about the new policy that (I know, we all hate them) Wal-Mart has put into play with off-brand / generic SSRI's & other meds? It's $4 a month without insurance for many of them. It's also your choice to take it or not. I abstain simply because I know I'll be happier if I limit my addictions.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Depression-Fake? [Re: lukeboots]
    #6595393 - 02/21/07 08:15 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

SSRIs are garbage. IMO. But I totally agree with your post.

I was a little shocked by some of the bullshit I read in this thread. Some people have some very lofty ideas about the brain. I was almost just as bad about 7 years ago. Let's hope they grow up. Or at least do more reading on the subject.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order