Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSeeker_Rose
Stranger
Sterilization Confusion
    #6589802 - 02/20/07 05:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hello all, I am new and this is my first post. Not only am I new to the forum, I am also new to mushroom cultivation and I am about to begin my first attempt at growing using the PF Tek technique.

I am planning on sterlizing my jars (glasses, actually) with a traditional three-piece steamer. How long should I steam for?

I have also read that I can use aluminum foil to cover the tops of the cases - is it necessary to sterilize that as well, and if so, how?

My third and final question is does the chamber I am going to put them in after birthing need to be sterilized? It is plastic, and if it needs to be sterilized, I am not quite sure how I would go about that.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Sterilization Confusion [Re: Seeker_Rose]
    #6589848 - 02/20/07 05:37 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

--------------------

Offlinejohnjohnson
Stranger

Re: Sterilization Confusion [Re: agar]
    #6590644 - 02/20/07 08:53 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i would seriously recommend you get a pressure cooker, because even pressure cooked jars using pf tek aren't fool proof.

"My third and final question is does the chamber I am going to put them in after birthing need to be sterilized? It is plastic, and if it needs to be sterilized, I am not quite sure how I would go about that."

Lysol gets the job done, don't worry about that step just yet, because you have along time before you will birth the cakes, just worry about steps up to inoculation now.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Sterilization Confusion [Re: johnjohnson]
    #6591182 - 02/20/07 10:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

johnjohnson said:
i would seriously recommend you get a pressure cooker, because even pressure cooked jars using pf tek aren't fool proof.

"My third and final question is does the chamber I am going to put them in after birthing need to be sterilized? It is plastic, and if it needs to be sterilized, I am not quite sure how I would go about that."

Lysol gets the job done, don't worry about that step just yet, because you have along time before you will birth the cakes, just worry about steps up to inoculation now.

I would also seriously recommend a pressure cooker,by the time your cakes are colonized they should be fully colonized and pretty well resistant to contamination and this is why a fruiting chamber is never sterile,and Lysol causes mutants

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder