Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
Re: 300 [Re: Colbadol]
    #6590477 - 02/20/07 06:08 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Colbadol said:
youre totally right wiccan.
i thought about that too, but who in the movie business is to benefit from war with iran? Does our government control what movies get created, too?
id believe, just not soo sure.

and whats with all of the movies lately revolving around 'fighting for freedom'

EVERY single movie these days is about freedom. ALL of em. It's getting annoying.

This is directed towards W_S too.

WTF??? This have never once crossed my mind. I don't think this movie is about propoganda at all. :lol: haha.....

The movie looks fucking sweet. I never once thought of it like you guys did until reading what you guys said. I just want to see a kick ass fantasy war time movie.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 300 [Re: Asante]
    #6590486 - 02/20/07 06:11 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Americanizing the plot, no offense, often involves simplifying the plot down and upping the special effects.

Precisely the reason why I want to see. I could watch the history channel any day of the week and look up the true facts about this movie...

I am going to be entertained...I thought that was what movie were for. Americanizing the plot or not...:shrug:

InvisibleTHE KRAT BARON
one-eyed willie
Re: 300 [Re: Trainwreck]
    #6590491 - 02/20/07 06:12 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I think it looks like a good flick. :shrug: Some people seem to be reading too far into it. It's just a movie after all, take it how it is.

--------------------
m00nshine is currently vacationing in Maui. Rumor has it he got rolled by drunken natives and is currently prostituting himself in order to pay for airfare back to the mainland but he's having trouble juggling a hairon addiction. He won't be back for a long while.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: 300 [Re: THE KRAT BARON]
    #6590516 - 02/20/07 06:20 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

enjoy the movie and be aware of the symbology. ignoring either will miss the bigger picture.

:egyptian:

--------------------

InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Re: 300 [Re: Jadian]
    #6590570 - 02/20/07 06:35 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Jadian said:
Production, propaganda, and paranoia aside, does nobody else care that they're taking stories from thousands of years ago, and completely adding or changing things to make them into Americanized movies?

Troy and Alexander are the most obvious examples of late. 

I guess I'm the only person who gets pissed off about shit like that though. :shrug:

I'm sure I'll get stoned and be dragged into the movie by my friends who have no IDEA what Thermopylae even is.

Religions have been doing it for thousands of years. Why can't Hollywood?

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: 300 [Re: DNKYD]
    #6590589 - 02/20/07 06:40 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I was looking at this movie to no be "americanizing" anything... its more of a mythology thing.

seriously...if you want a history lesson...watch a documentary or read a book.

hahaha..."americanizing".... Making movies is an art form... So are special effects. This movie is going to be a great form of just that, entertainment. And by god...entertaining it will be.

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: 300 [Re: daytripper05]
    #6590602 - 02/20/07 06:43 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i first saw the preview to 300 way back in October. i hope the film lives up to the hype.

:egyptian:

--------------------

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: 300 [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6590653 - 02/20/07 06:55 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Spartans On A Plane :wink:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

OfflineTrainwreck
No. Really.

Loc: Southern California
    #6592148 - 02/20/07 11:43 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Wow. I'm not directing this post to anyone in particular, but are you guys f'n serious?

I just thought it looked entertaining. It's a movie. The fact that a simple topic on a what looks like a good movie turned into this abomination is mind blowing.

:cuckoo:

InvisibleLosAngelesGraff
Ca Shroomite
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Califas
Re: 300 [Re: Trainwreck]
    #6592170 - 02/20/07 11:49 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i havent read this thread throgh but i would love to see this movie! if ya catch my drift ; x

--------------------
:prawn::baggy::zilla:
Please help support cover-upz blog
http://cover-upz.blogspot.com/
Please PM me if you can help build cover upz blog.

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
    #6593005 - 02/21/07 08:15 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Meh.

Basically the story is about the Brave, Righteous and Just Americans ("spartans") who take on the great evil Middle East ("persian empire") in their epic righteous battle. The enemy, as seen in the trailer, is at times dehumanized by making some appear as monsters, and others wearing inhuman masks, just like good wartime propaganda should be.

It's War On Terror propaganda, and perhaps this will warm you guys up to take on the real Persia, being Iran, and maybe even when the movie is still running in the cinemas.

I'll watch it off the p2p but I harbor no illusion that it will be anything more than epic Fantasy, that will somehow match US propaganda so well. I noticed the protagonists are mostly white and the antagonists are not so just like with the Lord Of The Rings movies (coinciding with the other war) neonazis will have a field day too.

So predictable.

umm perhaps you don't realize it's based on a real event. the battle of thermopoly.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineSyle
Kenai Sigh
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: 300 [Re: wwonka]
    #6593008 - 02/21/07 08:17 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

wwonka said:
Maybe its a pro-homosexuality film. I mean, the Spartans were regarded as a particularly homosexual friendly city-state. Just because your off training for the majority of your life doesn't mean you should be excluded from the carnal pleasures of man (literally).

So, I will go see this movie, and I will take it as a step forward for homosexual rights and practices. 300 long-haired muscled men who look oh-so-dapper in those formed cuirass' taking on the masses of masked men who seek to oppress them and ...well dying, but for the cause!

good point. let these PC anal retents get their whine on. you and i shall enjoy this movie  :smile: even with greasy sexy men as the focal point.

--------------------
https://kenaisigh.bandcamp.com/ <- Just completed the 2021 RPM challenge for February - An EP in one month (5 songs or 20 minutes). Check it out!

OfflineNalim
OTD Kelly Girl
Female User Gallery

Re: 300 [Re: Syle]
    #6593118 - 02/21/07 09:12 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Isn't pretty much all war movies this way: Good guys vs. Bad guys; the good guys being all brave and cool and often in low numbers, the bad guys are scary and looks different than we're used to(everyone hates and fears what they don't recognize)..

--------------------

Rodney Brooks on Robots
Nalim said: "Quoting yourself is retarded."

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: 300 [Re: Syle]
    #6593178 - 02/21/07 09:43 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

umm perhaps you don't realize it's based on a real event. the battle of thermopoly.

It is very hard to notice just how one is being manipulated. After world war two, the insidious innuendo throughout the 1930s German media was clear to be seen, and seemed obvious.

Perhaps this will also be true when we after world war three look back to these times. How could anyone have missed it? It was plain as day.

Looking back is always easier than looking forward.

I'm not saying that 300 is evil government-directed propaganda, more that it is a sign of the times, playing into the current misplaced sense of American patriottism and righteousness.

Slowly but surely the pieces are being set in position for world war three.

I think the movie won't be as popular in the middle east as it would be over here, in fact it will probably be denounced there as another grand display of crusader mentality glorification. But that ofcourse would be silly of them, no? :rolleyes:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#6593189 - 02/21/07 10:00 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:

I'm not saying that 300 is evil government-directed propaganda, more that it is a sign of the times, playing into the current misplaced sense of American patriottism and righteousness.

hasnt this always been the case, with every country, throughout all of history?

i agree, it is a reflection...but more or less of human nature than of current american international policy.

--------------------

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

#6593211 - 02/21/07 10:14 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Wiccan_Seeker said:
Meh.

Basically the story is about the Brave, Righteous and Just Americans ("spartans") who take on the great evil Middle East ("persian empire") in their epic righteous battle. The enemy, as seen in the trailer, is at times dehumanized by making some appear as monsters, and others wearing inhuman masks, just like good wartime propaganda should be.

It's War On Terror propaganda, and perhaps this will warm you guys up to take on the real Persia, being Iran, and maybe even when the movie is still running in the cinemas.

I'll watch it off the p2p but I harbor no illusion that it will be anything more than epic Fantasy, that will somehow match US propaganda  so well. I noticed the protagonists are mostly white and the antagonists are not so just like with the Lord Of The Rings movies (coinciding with the other war) neonazis will have a field day too.

So predictable.

While I agree with parts of your post(about it possibly being propeganda, I mean people, the timing of this film is a little to much for me) I disagree with pretty much the rest of your post.

It's curious you see anything as pro-white automatically being equated to bad and wrong. Maybe you are the one who has been brainwashed?

You know what would have been good, if the persian army rolled over them, and had conquered Europe. Then most of us wouldn't be here today, and the world would be a better place! :smile: /end sarcasm

With that all said, I am looking forward to lighting up a joint and watching this movie! :thumbup:

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

Edited by Hank, FTW (02/21/07 10:25 AM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: 300 [Re: Hank, FTW]
    #6593241 - 02/21/07 10:29 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

It's curious you see anything as pro-white automatically being equated to bad and wrong.

I'm not that simple, even though it is interesting to note that you see reason to call this movie "pro-white".

Spartans are kinda "the West" right?
Persians are kinda "the Middle East" no?

Isn't this a strange timing for a movie that glorifies Total War (Der Totaler Krieg as Hitler asked of his countrymen shortly before WW II) between the West and the Middle East, is made in this day and age?

It is all very convenient, a glorification of Total War against the middle east, in these times, made by Americans.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#6593265 - 02/21/07 10:40 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

heh, wiccan, this is all just a fantasy.
the US will never get into a 'total war' with the middle east. there are just too many protesters...as there always is with a democracy. like in civ III, whenever you try to wage war when you have democray as your government you keep getting riots in your cities, lol. you gotta play as a monarchy or dictator or fundamentalist to not get riots.
watching a movie about total war doesnt make us soldiers. ...just as playing Grand Theft Auto doesnt make us criminals.
it's fantasy.

it's the middle east's fanatic element that is having a 'total war' against the west. no fantasy there.

but i cant wait for this movie to come out...right before spring break. feels like ive been waiting for over a year for it. the cinemetography looks STUNNING.

--------------------

Invisibleroby000
me
Trans-male
    #6593274 - 02/21/07 10:45 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

maybe bush read the graphic novel and thats why he hates middle easterners (and black people)  :makewar:

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

#6593276 - 02/21/07 10:45 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Why is it interesting I refer to this movie as pro-white? Would you label it as being pro-Persian? Doesn't look that way to me.

When there are 2 groups of people who fight in a war, the story of that war will eventually be told. In the story one of the groups will be portrayed in a more positive way, depending on who is telling the story of course.

Ex. Braveheart was pro-Scottish as opposed to pro-English. Do you follow me?

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale