Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID
    #6569837 - 02/15/07 04:35 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

"Anyone remember VeriChip, a company that came up with the idea of implanting chips in humans for tracking them? They've been behind ideas like RFID tagging immigrant and guest workers at the border, and they've persuaded a former Bush Health Secretary to get himself chipped. In this CNET News.com article, we offer an update on how successful the idea has been. It turns out that, according to IPO documents, 222 people have been implanted, with sales revenue of $100,000."

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/02/14/1434226

woooo!

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: kotik]
    #6569845 - 02/15/07 04:46 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Hmmm... 100000/222 = $450 per chip... I think I found one of many problems.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: Seuss]
    #6569863 - 02/15/07 05:21 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i think taking crude numbers and just dividing like that is not looking at it the correct way.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
    #6569983 - 02/15/07 08:01 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Donno... my simple divide wasn't too far off...

http://www.verichipcorp.com/news/1145903041:
Quote:

To implant the chips, physicians must buy a starter kit that includes 10 insertion packets, each containing a single chip, for a total of $1,450. VeriChip suggests physicians charge patients $200 for the cost of the chip and another $200 for their professional services, but the final price is at the physician's discretion, said Richard Seelig, MD, vice president of medical applications at the company.

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/biology/b103/f02/web2/ddimuro.html:
Quote:

Currently, Global VeriChip Subscription is $9.95 a month as a form of universal identification.

Recommended cost to the consumer is $400, plus $9.95 per month...

Offlinetrippindad82
Trusted Cultivator of Trich
Male

Loc: down, down the hole
    #6570011 - 02/15/07 08:20 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The idea of a tracking chip, no matter what its proclaimed good is, scares the shit out of me. Good bye privacy. Hello big brother!!! Cameras on every fucking street corner are not enough? Now we need to know where individuals are at all times? What happened to the land of the free. It seems to me that implanted chips would take away ALL freedoms. If this shit continues to escalate into the next "cool" or legally required thing, I am out.

--------------------
Trying to explain a journey to someone who has never experienced it is like trying to explain what a zebra looks like to  blind person who has never seen a horse.

^^^The above matter may be a complete fantasy that I concocted out of possible boredom.^^^

--------------------------------------

OfflineSeussA

Folding@home Statistics
Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: trippindad82]
    #6570041 - 02/15/07 08:39 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

> Now we need to know where individuals are at all times?

The chips have a max range of about 30 feet... what I find really funny is people that bitch about tracking with respect to something like the VeriChip, yet they carry a cell phone around without a thought. (I'm not claiming you are in this group!)

Eventually, we will all be tagged at birth... and without the tag, we will not be able to get bank accounts, jobs, etc... much the way Social Security numbers are used (in the US) now. Laws will be passed to put RFID repeaters into cell phones, pay phones, security cameras, etc, the way GPS chips are in cell phones now. Walk within 30 feet of anybody with a cell phone, and the phone will relay your ID and the phones last known GPS location to whoever is watching. Fun times ahead... "anonymous" is a thing of the past... of course, only criminals care about staying anonymous (sarcasm).

And as a bonus, we get to pay $120 a year for this service! Just a little extra salt for the wound...

Offlinetrippindad82
Male

#6570046 - 02/15/07 08:42 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

The chips have a max range of about 30 feet... what I find really funny is people that bitch about tracking with respect to something like the VeriChip, yet they carry a cell phone around without a thought. (I'm not claiming you are in this group!)

I personally hate cell phones. However, out of respect, that is for another post and a different topic altogether.

--------------------
Trying to explain a journey to someone who has never experienced it is like trying to explain what a zebra looks like to  blind person who has never seen a horse.

^^^The above matter may be a complete fantasy that I concocted out of possible boredom.^^^

InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #6570055 - 02/15/07 08:48 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The day after they make these things required is the day somebody figures out how to hack the system :wink:

At least until AS is invented....

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

Loc: Heaven and Hell
    #6570128 - 02/15/07 09:25 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

They'll play some serious hell getting one of those into me. :lol:

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
    #6570366 - 02/15/07 10:52 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I can think of many cool reasons to have an implant like this.

None of which involve government surveillance of my person.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: Madtowntripper]
    #6570426 - 02/15/07 11:21 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i don't want to be that cool.

:egyptian:

--------------------

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#6570473 - 02/15/07 11:41 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

Eventually, we will all be tagged at birth... and without the tag, we will not be able to get bank accounts, jobs, etc... much the way Social Security numbers are used (in the US) now. Laws will be passed to put RFID repeaters into cell phones, pay phones, security cameras, etc, the way GPS chips are in cell phones now. Walk within 30 feet of anybody with a cell phone, and the phone will relay your ID and the phones last known GPS location to whoever is watching. Fun times ahead... "anonymous" is a thing of the past... of course, only criminals care about staying anonymous (sarcasm).

This is an interesting thought and certainly feasable. However, they will need to develop some practical way of analyzing the sheer amount of data created by such tracking devices.

If you "tracked" the movement of every single person that owns a cellphone (via GPS) you'd end up with so much garbage it would be difficult to make anything useful out of it.

I'm just playing Devil's advocate here, but perhaps the volume of information would, in fact, offer some anonymity unless a legitimate reason for inquiry arose.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleHank, FTW
Looking for the Answer

Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: badchad]
    #6570540 - 02/15/07 12:04 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

You underestimate the power of today's and tomorrow's computers.

--------------------
Capliberty:

"I'll blow the hinges off your freakin doors with my trips, level 5 been there, I personally like x, bud, acid and shroom oj, altogether, do that combination, and you'll meet some morbid figures, lol
Hell yeah I push the limits and hell yeah thats fucking cool, dope, bad ass and all that, I'm not changing shit, I'm cutting to to the chase and giving u shroom experience report. Real trippers aren't afraid to go beyond there comfort zone "

:rofl:

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#6570558 - 02/15/07 12:11 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

What's next? Nanomachines in your brain to shock you when you think of smoking a joint?

--------------------
Hi how's it going, wanna kick Heroin basically painlessly on your own, in your own house, without any government "help" ,or the "help" of a crazy condescending, judgmental medical doctor? Read this:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=42&Number=7342616&page=0&fpart=all

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #6570729 - 02/15/07 01:06 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

i believe the underlying danger of micro-chipping a human being, especially if it's (someday) enforced by the government providing it, is that it could more strongly bring about the tendency to analyze a population not as a collective of unique individuals with their own thoughts and feelings, but as an automaton, a herd of machines/information/data whatever one wishes to call it.

there will always be those who don't mind being traced and tagged by camera, paper, or computer, just as there will always be those who will dislike this particular social philosophy.

it appears to me that the need for surveillance naturally goes along with a need to control (who benefits?), but to take this to the level of electronically "branding" the flesh and skin of one's own fellow man..

something inside of me just doesn't feel right with that notion. :nonono:

therefore i refuse getting chipped.

:egyptian:

OfflineMadtowntripper
Sun-Beams out of Cucumbers
 User Gallery

Loc: The Ocean of Notions
Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6571007 - 02/15/07 02:39 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I imagine this will become commonplace sometime in the next decade.

I'd love to have a chip that had my financial information on it so I wouldnt have to carry around, and lose, cash and credit cards. I'd love to be ablde to wave my hand at an ATM or gas pump to pay.

I'd like to have a microschip with a radio tag that could make my lights turn on when I walk in the room, or my office computer to turn on when I walk in the building so its warm by the time I get up to my desk.

--------------------
After one comes, through contact with it's administrators, no longer to cherish greatly the law as a remedy in abuses, then the bottle becomes a sovereign means of direct action.  If you cannot throw it at least you can always drink out of it.  - Ernest Hemingway

If it is life that you feel you are missing I can tell you where to find it.  In the law courts, in business, in government.  There is nothing occurring in the streets. Nothing but a dumbshow composed of the helpless and the impotent.    -Cormac MacCarthy

He who learns must suffer. And even in our sleep pain that cannot forget falls drop by drop upon the heart, and in our own despair, against our will, comes wisdom to us by the awful grace of God.  - Aeschylus

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#6571208 - 02/15/07 03:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Can't they just make a watch that does all that?

Jeez. :thumbdown:

I see people on mushrooms carving them out of their flesh with pocket knives.

--------------------

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #6572554 - 02/15/07 09:03 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Now we need to know where individuals are at all times?

The chips have a max range of about 30 feet... what I find really funny is people that bitch about tracking with respect to something like the VeriChip, yet they carry a cell phone around without a thought. (I'm not claiming you are in this group!

actually, if you consider the implications, there will essentially be a record of digital footprints of every place you have been, and what time you came and left.

So someone could just do a search: locations chip#10913490489 went today...

post office 9:13 am - 10:01 am
mcdonalds 12:00 pm - 12:40 pm
etc. etc.

Take it further, and imagine 20 years of that information being logged, with algorithms constantly analyzing the data for patterns, where essentially there are rooms of people looking at how you live your life, and using it against you, either in the form of criminal persecution, marketing, soliciting or anything else at all, which has no respect for your privacy and etc.

but here's to fighting the inevitable, lol. just sad to know that this is the future...

--------------------

Offlinetrippindad82
Male

Re: VeriChip Implants 222 People With RFID [Re: Lightningfractal]
    #6573053 - 02/15/07 11:36 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Lightningfractal said:
Can't they just make a watch that does all that?

Jeez. :thumbdown:

I see people on mushrooms carving them out of their flesh with pocket knives.

That'll be me. Fuck that shit, even if it "supposedly" would make things easier to keep track of. It's just one more step into a cashless society. WOOHOO!!!

--------------------

OfflineLightningfractal
Nutcase

#6576726 - 02/16/07 11:47 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

We'll all effectively die if there's a cashless society.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract