Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetheomister
Stranger
Male User Gallery
help with innoclation process with pre-sterlized rye jars for[mediummania].
    #6163739 - 10/12/06 08:25 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

ok i have 12 quart jars,1 syringe[penisenvy]and tyvek filters for all the jars.the syringe has been in the fridge 2 mounths or so. should they be out of the fridge priar for any amount of time or are they good to go?I also would like to know how to do the inoculation.links or any thing would be cool.

thanx

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: help with innoclation process with pre-sterlized rye jars for[mediummania]. [Re: theomister]
    #6163753 - 10/12/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I'm gonna give you this link not just because it took me 5 seconds to copy it, but because Agar will always be THE man and he continuous to help out the community.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5296250#Post5296250

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Offlinetheomister
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: help with innoclation process with pre-sterlized rye jars for[mediummania]. [Re: theomister]
    #6163798 - 10/12/06 08:43 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

cool thanks.... I didn't have them poke holes because I was going to do it myself. But I now realize I don't know how to do it.

Where should I put the tyvek and how should I punch the holes?

that's basically the only question that I still don't understand.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6164294 - 10/12/06 11:07 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Unless you have a flowhood, you'll probably lose the jars if they don't already have holes in the lids. You're supposed to put the lid with holes on, then the filter disk or tyvek, then the metal ring, THEN sterilize all together. I don't know how you're going to get holes cut into the lid without contaminants entering your jar. If the jar was sterilized without holes, it will have a serious vacuum, which is going to suck air from whereever it is when you open it.

A glovebox is about the best you can hope for at this point. Who is selling jars without holes cut into the lid anyway? Lots of guys are having trouble with this lately. I need to shoot them an email because it's the wrong way to prepare spawn jars. Anyone selling presterilized jars of grains should have them fitted with a filter prior to sterilization.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflinemyCo_psyCo
a mycologist inthe making
Male User Gallery

Loc: own private hell
Re: help with innoclation process with pre-sterlized rye jars for[mediummania]. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6164493 - 10/13/06 12:19 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Unless you have a flowhood, you'll probably lose the jars if they don't already have holes in the lids. You're supposed to put the lid with holes on, then the filter disk or tyvek, then the metal ring, THEN sterilize all together. I don't know how you're going to get holes cut into the lid without contaminants entering your jar. If the jar was sterilized without holes, it will have a serious vacuum, which is going to suck air from whereever it is when you open it.

A glovebox is about the best you can hope for at this point. Who is selling jars without holes cut into the lid anyway? Lots of guys are having trouble with this lately. I need to shoot them an email because it's the wrong way to prepare spawn jars. Anyone selling presterilized jars of grains should have them fitted with a filter prior to sterilization.
RR

he said mediummania
haha when i still did pf's i always poked holes after pc'n and got contam more than regular, i couldnt imagine doing that with whole grain

--------------------

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
    #6558841 - 02/12/07 04:02 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Sorry for dragging this thread out, but I have the same problem. Forgot to tell MM to prepare with holes in the lids and tyvek.

My question is: Can I take of the metal ring, but leave the metal cover... then poke a hole with a sterilized nail, cover with tyvek, and re-tighten the metal ring? I don't think that will expose the jar to a significant amount of contaminants?

If I should worry about contams, then could I just steam re-sterilize the jars with the new lid set up in place? PC-ing is directed at killing endospores within the grain, but that has already been done.

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: help with innoclation process with pre-sterlized rye jars for[mediummania]. [Re: wygram]
    #6558935 - 02/12/07 04:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Leave the lid tight. Sterilize the nail, then douse a sheet of tyvek, cotton ball or similar in alcohol, and drive the nail through that to the lid. The alcohol soaked cotton will filter the air as it rushes in. Be sure to hold it squeezed tight around the nail and pushed down against the lid.

Did any instructions come with the jars on how to do that?
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
Re: help with innoclation process with pre-sterlized rye jars for[mediummania]. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6559298 - 02/12/07 05:38 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Is the cotton filter around the nail still as important if I use a still air glove box? Lysol and oust the inside before poking the lid... inoculate... and then a piece of alcohol cleaned micro pore tape.

--------------------
Changing your mind is one of the best ways of finding out whether or not you still have one.

Edited by wygram (02/13/07 10:08 AM)

Invisiblewygram
Myconaut

Trusted Cultivator
Re: help with innoclation process with pre-sterlized rye jars for[mediummania]. [Re: wygram]
    #6562307 - 02/13/07 10:08 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

BUMP

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6562320 - 02/13/07 10:12 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I gave you the procedure above. The air within glove boxes is not sterile. Please don't bump your own posts within 24 hours.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Injection Grain Bag