Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemaxmick
Stranger
need some ID's...got nfi
    #6561572 - 02/13/07 04:01 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

species #1

large mushroom on right in second picture
* Habitat - base of oak tree
* Characteristics of the gills - white
* Characteristics of the stem - length 1 inch, width 1/2 inch, solid, feels smooth
* Characteristics of the cap - 3/4 inch across, caramel in color, feels smooth like the stem, sperical in shape
* Spore print color - white to very pale yellow
* Color that the mushroom bruises - no idea

species #2

* Habitat - field, in dirt.
* Characteristics of the gills - dark grey
* Characteristics of the stem - length 2 inches, width 1/8th inch, solid, slightly slimy
* Characteristics of the cap - 3/4 inch across, brown/red in color, slightly slimy, conical in shape.
* Spore print color - dark, brownish - black

species #3

* Habitat - field, in dirt.
* Characteristics of the gills - cream/beige
* Characteristics of the stem - length 1-1/2 inches, width 1/8th inch, solid, white, smooth
* Characteristics of the cap - 1/2 inch across, grey in color, smooth, conical in shape.
* Spore print color - light grey

hopefully i've done this right, its the first time i have posted here, and its also the first time i've been mushroom hunting. i have a whole bunch of other pictures in my gallery as well but i'm still waiting on spore prints. however alot of them don't seem to be dropping any spores yet.

anyways...any help, thanks.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: need some ID's...got nfi [Re: maxmick]
    #6562010 - 02/13/07 09:30 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Welcome to the shroomery. Good job on your first requests. A couple of things that would be helpful would be to know what part of the country you are in, and to have some pictures of the gills of the mushrooms. For bruising, you just squeeze or cut the mushroom and see if there is a color change over the course of an hour or so. And how did you do your spore prints? I'm a little skeptical of the colors you report.

My guesses for the genus of each of your mushrooms is:
1. Armillaria
2. Mycena
3. Marasmius

Nothing that is active or particularly good to eat. I'd also wait and see what some others have to say for a more positive ID. I'm only about 60% sure on any of those guesses.

InvisibleJenny
part of thewhole
Male User Gallery

Loc: Columbus, OHIO
Re: need some ID's...got nfi [Re: maxmick]
    #6563290 - 02/13/07 05:18 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

did they come with the blanket? If so they are likely to be the creepy blanket mushroom, or mushroomis blanketis.

:laugh:

--------------------

Mindfulness is the aware, balanced acceptance of the present experience.
It isn't more complicated than that.
It is opening to or recieving the present moment, pleasant or unpleasant, just as it is,
without either clinging to it or rejecting it.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: need some ID's...got nfi [Re: Jenny]
    #6564773 - 02/13/07 11:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Xmush - I had a different thought about those. First off, I think Honey mushroom (Armillaria is a fair guess, but really impossible to tell at this stage of growth. I doubt he was able to actually get a spore print, probably just guessing or the flesh stained the paper while printing. Maxmick, If I am wrong on my assumptions, please correct me.

The second specimen, Max reported the gills as grey and spore print as dark brown/black. If that is accurate, I'm gonna guess it is a very small Hypholoma aurantiaca. It just doesn't look like a Mycena to me. Max, where do you live/were these mushrooms found??

Third, Why do you guess Marasmius?? Marasmius species are often characterized as usually having a convex cap, rather than conic. But that aside, The mushroom looks very much like a Conocybe to me.

--------------------

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: need some ID's...got nfi [Re: CureCat]
    #6565825 - 02/14/07 09:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

The first one was the only one I felt really good about.  I just dismissed his spore printing ability, but I shouldn't have because Hypholoma aurantiaca is a good ID for the second one.  And Marasmius was an ill-informed guess on number 3  :shrug:
Sorry, my ID skills hit a nadir at this time of the year.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: need some ID's...got nfi [Re: xmush]
    #6565938 - 02/14/07 10:24 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Naw, everyone suggests random things once in a while. Only yours and a handful of other users opinions on this board will I seriously consider. I probably could have worded that last sentence better, but it is early morning.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification