Home | Community | Message Board

North Spore
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon DXM

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK]
    #6561490 - 02/13/07 03:08 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers
February 12, 2007 - kotv.com

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) _ A bill passed by a Senate committee on Monday seeks to deter teenagers from getting high on a compound found in some cough-syrup medicine.

The measure, introduced by Sen. Charlie Laster, D-Shawnee, would ban the sale of cough medicine containing dextromethorpan, also known as DXM, to anyone under the age of 18.

It was approved by the Senate Business and Labor Committee and now goes to the Senate floor for consideration.

The bill also seeks to prevent teenagers from buying cans of spray paint, which Oklahoma teens have been using as an inhalant in increasing numbers.

Laster said the bill is based on recommendations from the interim Task Force on Adolescent Substance Abuse and Misuse of Household Items.

``We found out how Oklahoma kids are able to buy large quantities of these items to get high with no legal restrictions,'' the senator said. ``This is a dangerous problem we need to address.

``The most disturbing thing is this abuse seems to be the greatest among younger children. This is not an adult problem. It is sixth, seventh and eighth-graders.''

Officials say when taken in high dosages, dextromethorpan acts as a powerful hallucinogen that caused 12,584 emergency visits in the United States in 2004.

The Oklahoma Poison Control Center says DXM abuse is on the rise in Oklahoma. Last year, 14.7 percent of all reported intentional substance-abuse cases in Oklahoma were linked to DXM, compared to 11.6 percent in 2005.

Officials say there also has been an increase in the use of spray paint by Oklahoma teenagers. In 2003, 9.9 percent of teenagers in grades nine through 12 reported using inhalants, compared to 12 percent in 2005.

Laster said his bill would make it a misdemeanor to sell such products to anyone under 18.

It also makes it illegal to sell or provide unfinished DXM to anyone other than a purchaser licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

It would require those possessing or selling unfinished DXM to register with the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs.

``Our number one goal is to keep Oklahoma children safe, and that means making sure our laws are updated to address these new threats to their very lives,'' Laster said. ``That means we have to redefine what we consider to be dangerous drugs _ that's what my legislation does.''

A similar bill passed the House and Senate last year but died in a joint conference committee. The bill's House author said opposition from grocers and convenience store owners doomed that measure.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleblink
eye of horus
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Geographic Location (Stat...
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: veggie]
    #6561500 - 02/13/07 03:13 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children!?!?!

--------------------

OfflineOjom
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: blink]
    #6561851 - 02/13/07 07:20 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Blink, I think you just wanted an excuse to use that picture...

Banning the sell of DXM to those under 18 seems like a good idea to me. Almost everyone here that is for the legalization of cannabis seems to believe it should be regulated in the same manner as tobacco and alcohol is, meaning it shouldn't be legally available to minors. Why should any drug that is being used recreationally?

Now the part about requiring the registration of any person / business selling or possessing pure DXM doesn't seem necessary to me. Are all businesses selling DXM containing cough syrups required to register? What would be the purpose of this registration?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: Ojom]
    #6561924 - 02/13/07 08:12 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

> Banning the sell of DXM to those under 18 seems like a good idea to me.

Sure, on the surface, that sounds fine... but with prohibition style laws, even ones that sound good on the surface, there is always more to the story...

> It also makes it illegal to sell or provide unfinished DXM to anyone other than a purchaser licensed by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.

Woah!  Wait a minute.  What does this have to do with selling DXM to minors.  Nothing... now we are restricting the sale of DXM to adults as well...

... and if we read more ...

> "Our number one goal is to keep Oklahoma children safe ... we have to redefine what we consider to be dangerous drugs ... that's what my legislation does."

Woah!  Wait a minute.  Are we now paving the way to further prohibition down the road as we redefine dangerous drugs to be anything harmful that children might consume?

So what started out sounding good... protecting our children... has turned into the typical prohibition rhetoric by the time we are done reading. 

Why not outlaw children instead?  Then there wouldn't be a problem with children getting harmed.  :rolleyes:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinetihkalpihkal
captain insano
Male User Gallery

Loc: The basement of the alamo
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: Seuss]
    #6561970 - 02/13/07 09:02 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Ya lets take away bicycles and skateboards and put everyong under 18 in one of those bear suits so nothing bad could ever happen to those prescious spoiled ignorant bastards.

--------------------
Was the lockness monster in fact Jack the Ripper?

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: tihkalpihkal]
    #6561993 - 02/13/07 09:15 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

They already banned anything containing DXM locally if you are under 18.

Really, banning things has never solved the problem...NEVER. PROHIBITION DOES NOT WORK!!! Kids will jsut find another way to get DXM, or hell, another drug to get fucked up off of. It was easier to find drugs before I turned 18 anyways, just go to school.

Thing is, DXM, in most situations is safe. Education about DXM would help make DXM even safer. Banning DXM is just going to turn kids to something else, maybe something more dangerous. Is it worth it? Have we learned nothing from history? Are we doomed to repeat the failures of the drug war throughout the length of humanity?

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwestish
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: dedjam]
    #6562403 - 02/13/07 12:42 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yep, they might as well restrict dramamine, caffeine, ibuprofen, anything they can huff, magic markers, hmmm can't remember what else I used to see kids try... but they're crazy determined like, yep I think we should form a committee, we need to create some serious legislation here. /sarcasm

--------------------
All that groks is God.

Edited by Riboflavin (02/13/07 12:43 PM)

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: Riboflavin]
    #6562631 - 02/13/07 01:55 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Riboflavin said:
Yep, they might as well restrict dramamine, caffeine, ibuprofen, anything they can huff, magic markers, hmmm can't remember what else I used to see kids try... but they're crazy determined like, yep I think we should form a committee, we need to create some serious legislation here. /sarcasm

hell, been to walmart lately? most of the things you listed you have to be 18 to buy. Ive ended up having conversations with people that work there and they all agree its rediculus...some of the things walmart makes them card for are things that everyone NEEDS to get, even those underage. Parents cant even send their teenage kids out to pick them up medicine when they are sick (i had to do alot of the erands when I got my license). I'm waiting for the day where EVERYTHING you buy requires ID, so your purchases can always be monitored. As Ive said in other threads...its a slippery slope, but we are already sliding.

OfflineRiboflavin
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwestish
    #6562682 - 02/13/07 02:10 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Walmart's crazy. I learned pretty quickly never to buy a cd there. They're quite zealous when it comes to censoring cd's, at least in my experience.

--------------------
All that groks is God.

Edited by Riboflavin (02/13/07 02:11 PM)

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: Riboflavin]
    #6563008 - 02/13/07 03:34 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Riboflavin said:
Walmart's crazy. I learned pretty quickly never to buy a cd there. They're quite zealous when it comes to censoring cd's, at least in my experience.

I used walmart as an example because I end up there most often...but all the stores that sell similar things have the same policies. CVS, walgreens, target, etc...

Invisiblejeverden
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] *DELETED* [Re: dedjam]
    #6563036 - 02/13/07 03:41 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Post deleted by jeverden

Reason for deletion: Ll

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

OfflineThreePieceSuit
disastrophe
Male User Gallery

Loc: East Coast of Canada
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: jeverden]
    #6563060 - 02/13/07 03:49 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I don't see how they think banning kids from buying a particular brand of spray paint will help.

It'd be impossible to ban everything inhalable.

--------------------
:mafioso:
I'm so lucrative, even my birthday suit is in three pieces.

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: ThreePieceSuit]
    #6563199 - 02/13/07 04:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

ThreePieceSuit said:

It'd be impossible to ban everything inhalable.

Impossible hasnt stopped them from banning things in the past...

OfflineDrewwyann
Slayer of ticks
Male User Gallery

Loc: Atlantis
    #6563298 - 02/13/07 05:21 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

i dunno me and my friends would just steal the stuff in the first place. this'll just lead to more shoplifting :tongue:.

Unless they put it behind the counter (which they've done with coricidin)it wont really stop anything.

The thing is though, how many teens get a hold of cigarettes when before they are 18? TONS. i know dxm isnt addictive, but they will find ways to get it be it stealing, or having some one else buy it for them.

--------------------

Anyone need a glass pipe? : http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002435158931

Love powerfully :peace::heart::peace:

OfflineMustNotBe
HPPDer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BrewCity
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: Drewwyann]
    #6564015 - 02/13/07 08:39 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

DXM isnt that fun, and it's really not safe either. Kids should be using something safer to get high, like marijuana :thumbup:

--------------------
Junkies United we stand , Devided we're sick as fuck.
-                  -                -
"Hallucinations are something heroin users are not at all accustomed to," said Const. Conor King, Victoria police drug expert. "They react like you or I would react if we took Aspirin and all of a sudden the TV got up and started walking across the room."
Make drugs legal, or alcohol and tobacco illegal. Either way it's more fair.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: MustNotBe]
    #6565618 - 02/14/07 05:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

> Kids should be using something safer to get high

Kids shouldn't be getting high on drugs. They have their entire adult life to explore.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMustNotBe
HPPDer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BrewCity
Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: Seuss]
    #6586425 - 02/19/07 08:05 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> Kids should be using something safer to get high

Kids shouldn't be getting high on drugs. They have their entire adult life to explore.

Kids are going to get high, if it's safe or not, but if they are going to expirement, let it be with something safe.

--------------------
Junkies United we stand , Devided we're sick as fuck.
"Hallucinations are something heroin users are not at all accustomed to," said Const. Conor King, Victoria police drug expert. "They react like you or I would react if we took Aspirin and all of a sudden the TV got up and started walking across the room."
Make drugs legal, or alcohol and tobacco illegal. Either way it's more fair.

Offlinelogano
Stranger

Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: jeverden]
    #8970973 - 09/23/08 02:14 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Wow. White out? that has never happened to me. lol. ridiculous.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Bill Seeks To Ban DXM Sales To Teenagers [OK] [Re: logano]
    #8972438 - 09/23/08 01:00 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/8970207/an/0/page/0

^^^  And you can find threads right here that illustrate exactly what  legislators and law makers are thinking when proposing this bill.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon DXM

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service