Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Loc: upper body area
LC lids
    #6551951 - 02/10/07 07:44 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

So, I made some jars of LC with two self-healing injection ports.

I sterilized them @ 15 psi for about 30 minutes. The jars at the moment are totally sealed; vaccuum and everything.

Mt question is; what do people think would be the best way to create an air filter for the syringe that allows air in?

I was thinking I would fill a syringe w/polyfil, spray a piece of micropore tape with alcohol, put that over the top of the syringe, and suck air through it for FAE.

Any better ideas?

--------------------
Anything posted here, is total bullshit.
My Meyers-Briggs Personality: INTJ
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

We give cultivation advice here. :super:

AMU Q & A - We're glad to help
My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: LC lids [Re: faceyneck]
    #6551998 - 02/10/07 07:55 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Just put a filter on the jar lid itself next time. I like to use the disks with the metal disks. They seal better. Just put two holes. Fill one hole with silicon and then silicon some tyvek over the over hole of a section of a syringe stuffed with polyfill.

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Re: LC lids [Re: musher_420]
    #6552035 - 02/10/07 08:01 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I don't see much of a difference between that and having a syringe which I can remove to use on several different LCs. Plus, I'd have to dedicate more syringes to the lids than I currently own.

Anyway, the method I'm using is pretty standard. I've read just using polyfil in the syringe is good, but I thought I might try to improve on it by putting some micropore tape on top, sprayed with alcohol to help guarantee germ-freeness.

--------------------
New growers, or anyone else just needing help; I'm always glad to help right here. :grin:

My Doggy Door Greenhouse!          First Ever Shmuvbox Tek!          Do Manure Right!

InvisibleRoachMan
Old Man
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
    #6552088 - 02/10/07 08:17 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

If you're going to use the syringe in that matter you probably would want to wrap it up in aluminum foil and pc it (with the polyfill in it).

Lids are easy to make:

I (for one) would not want to have to flame a needle everytime I wanted to release a vacuum that wasn't even necessary in the first place. Making a lid(s) will save you a lot of time, effort, and probably would reduce your chances of contaminating your LC(s).

--------------------
"The mistake that I make is to try to come awake in a place you're just supposed to get shit faced or baked."

InvisibleBacchus
Lurker
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ::1
Re: LC lids [Re: RoachMan]
    #6552128 - 02/10/07 08:30 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I make my lids similar to the ones in Agar's EASY WBS/GRAIN SPAWN JAR LID. I make one 1/4" hole covered with Tyvek and use a finishing nail to punch the hole for a self healing RTV port.

--------------------

Living on a no-Flash diet is way easier than you think. Give it a shot.

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6552139 - 02/10/07 08:33 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

--------->The jars at the moment are totally sealed; vaccuum and everything.<----------------

Odds are they will F/U.

The vacuum is the problem.
It will either suck in air, or a syringe.

Besides the injection port, you should have used micropore tape, to tape a small square of tyvek over a hole in the lid. Then, PC'ed the jars with the lid a 1/4 turn loose. Then tighten the lid, when you remove the jar from the PC.

Doing so results in NO vacuum & a filtered air-port, when you aspirate out LC. Meaning, no vacuum forms, as the filter allows gas exchange.

--------------------

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Re: LC lids [Re: agar]
    #6552230 - 02/10/07 09:04 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

agar said:
Quote:

--------->The jars at the moment are totally sealed; vacuum and everything.<----------------

Odds are they will F/U.

The vacuum is the problem.
It will either suck in air, or a syringe.

Besides the injection port, you should have used micropore tape, to tape a small square of tyvek over a hole in the lid. Then, PC'ed the jars with the lid a 1/4 turn loose. Then tighten the lid, when you remove the jar from the PC.

Doing so results in NO vacuum & a filtered air-port, when you aspirate out LC. Meaning, no vacuum forms, as the filter allows gas exchange.

That is what the syringe full of polyfill is for. I stick it in there, and it lets out the vacuum. I figured I could just flame the needle of the filter syringe, spray a bunch of alcohol in the cover, and then use that to change the air out by sucking air through another syringe, in the other RTV port, who's needle has also been sterilized.

I figured this way, I am in control of air exchange, I don't need to worry about getting LC on any micropore tape or tyvek, and I have a completely sealed off environment in which I can shake the jars to break up the mycelium, without worry of spilling anything. Plus, I don't need any sort of annoying aluminum foil/coffee filter/tyvek cover over any FAE holes. By no means am I the first guy to do this, and I'm not looking for alternative strategies to building LC lids. I've already made several different ones, and this is what I want to do now.

I'm asking for someone's advice who has built jars of LC LIKE THIS, not another different way that someone else prefers.

I appreciate the help, but other ways of building jar lids are off-topic.

--------------------

InvisibleRoachMan
Old Man
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
    #6552352 - 02/10/07 09:34 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Nice try at your moderating skills there, but myself and Agar were completely ON-topic. (Your title of your thread is "LC Lids".)

I told you what you should probably do with the air exchange syringe for minimizing contamination...sterilize the entire thing via steam sterilization.

Both Agar and I were trying to help you so you can minimize on the F/U's...but "do whatever works for YOU". GOOD LUCK!

--------------------
"The mistake that I make is to try to come awake in a place you're just supposed to get shit faced or baked."

Offlinefaceyneck
Legitimate Philosopher
 User Gallery

Re: LC lids [Re: RoachMan]
    #6553069 - 02/11/07 01:40 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I appreciate your help.

You're right about being "on-topic." Sorry, I was wrong about that. There was just a lot of stuff about me changing my system on here that I was referring to. Anyway, I've decided on what I'm going to do.

Thanks again.

--------------------

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6553274 - 02/11/07 03:41 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

LC lid:

1 metal ring
1 regular old lid piece

step 1.  poke hole slightly bigger than a needle in lid (i do this with a hammer & nail)
step 2.  oh wait, there is no step 2... you're done already

cover said hole with a piece of micropore tape and that's your filter.

PC/steam your jar with NO tape (but cover in foil).  remove foil, quickly inoculate, place piece of micropore tape over hole.

when its time to aspirate, swab tape with alcohol.  poke needle through it.  suck up solution.  quickly peel off alcohol soaked tape, place new piece of micropore tape down.  done. repeat later when you have more syringes to fill..

why does everybody complicate the hell out of everything? :confused: a small hole and a piece of micropore tape makes a fantastic LC lid.

sorry if its "off topic" for me to suggest a different idea.  but come on, this aint rocket science.  keep it simple!!

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #6553343 - 02/11/07 05:29 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

You could always use your GAS stove, or a propane torch, and slowly fill the syringe with sterile air I would think any contams going through that redhot needle would be destroyed instantly.

I could be wrong, don't sue me.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
    #6553555 - 02/11/07 09:09 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

AIR PORTS, needle, with valve & micron filter

Many differing ways to skin a cat

Humor

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder