Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineFGL
Stranger

Calcium carbonate and gypsum volume
    #6385417 - 12/19/06 05:33 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

How much gypsum and calcium carbonate by volume should I dilute in the water im going to use to moist my compost before pasteurizing?

And for a plain verm casing?

I know this have been asked millions times but my computer is broken and have no time now in the cybercafe for searching...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Calcium carbonate and gypsum volume [Re: FGL]
    #6385521 - 12/19/06 07:54 AM (17 years, 3 months ago)

None. You want to mix the dry materials together well, then add moisture. You didn't say what compost material you're using so it's impossible to say how much lime. Obviously you'd use more lime with coffee grinds than with manure. Use gypsum at ten percent by volume.

You don't need lime in a plain verm casing layer, although verm is probably the poorest choice of material. Peat/verm works much better. Use cc at five percent, and gypsum at ten percent the amount of peat.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFGL
Stranger

Re: Calcium carbonate and gypsum volume [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6547546 - 02/09/07 01:16 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
None.  You want to mix the dry materials together well, then add moisture.  You didn't say what compost material you're using so it's impossible to say how much lime.  Obviously you'd use more lime with coffee grinds than with manure.  Use gypsum at ten percent by volume.

You don't need lime in a plain verm casing layer, although verm is probably the poorest choice of material.  Peat/verm works much better.  Use cc at five percent, and gypsum at ten percent the amount of peat.
RR

Hi!

I did this:

I took a sample of  dehydrated compost and mixed it with 5% of gypsum by volume ( I just added another 5% during composting) then I hydrated it. I wait for an hour and tested the pH with pH color strips. The strips gave a pH mesure betwen 6 and 7 (closer to 7 than to 6).

How much lime and Calcium carbonate should I add to the dry compost to keep the correct pH ( by volume)? Could this be done just with Calcium carbonate or do I need to adjust the pH first with lime?

Many thanks in advance!:grin:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6547924 - 02/09/07 03:12 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Calcium carbonate is lime. Use it at up to ten percent along with the gypsum. If you choose to use hydrated lime, a teaspoon per cup. However, bulk substrates rarely need pH asjustment unless you're using coffee. If using manure, skip the lime and just use gypsum. The ph will settle out in the high 6 range.

Save the lime for your casing layer.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFGL
Stranger

#6548156 - 02/09/07 04:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Calcium carbonate is lime. Use it at up to ten percent along with the gypsum. If you choose to use hydrated lime, a teaspoon per cup. However, bulk substrates rarely need pH asjustment unless you're using coffee. If using manure, skip the lime and just use gypsum. The ph will settle out in the high 6 range.

Save the lime for your casing layer.
RR

you are right, when I said lime I meant Hydrated lime...

My compost has wheat straw, horse poo, chicken manure, coffe grinds, vegetal oil, pop corn, tomatos, advocado pear, lettuce, potato peelings...

do you think is a good idea to dilute maybe a bit of calcium carbonate in the water I will use to hydrate the compost?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6548247 - 02/09/07 05:27 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

No, you want to mix dry ingredients together first, then hydrate. I hope the vegetable matter is well composted, especially the popcorn, or it will go green on you before it can colonize. Cubes are dung and straw lovers. Chicken manure needs to be 5% or less of the total.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineFGL
Stranger

#6548296 - 02/09/07 05:50 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
No, you want to mix dry ingredients together first, then hydrate.  I hope the vegetable matter is well composted, especially the popcorn, or it will go green on you before it can colonize.  Cubes are dung and straw lovers.  Chicken manure needs to be 5% or less of the total.
RR

sorry, not pop corn but hot popped corn :grin:
here you can take a look to my pile on day 33:http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5832076#5832076  the most it take to look composted was the advocado pear...
do you think it could cause any problem?

chicken manure was about 3%...

so do I add calcium carbonate to keep the pH around 7-7.5 the whole process or should I let it in the high 6 range?

Many thanks Roger:thumbup:

OfflineFGL
Stranger

#6549840 - 02/10/07 06:18 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

????????????????' :banghead: :confused:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6550074 - 02/10/07 09:42 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

For a substrate, the mid to high pH 6's are fine. Mycelium growth is fastest in that range. We use the pH 7 to 8 range for casing layers that are left open and exposed to contaminant mold spores.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineFGL
Stranger

#6550515 - 02/10/07 12:43 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Many thanks!:D

do you think the advocado pear was a bad choice to add to the compost?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale