Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Polypropylene Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See
    #6543709 - 02/08/07 10:06 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0387808/

Patt Morrison: The Funniest Movie You Can't See
Fox downplays 'Idiocracy,' a film that portrays 2505 Americans as grossly fat, lazy and stupid.
Patt Morrison

October 5, 2006

SO WHICH will be harder to spot this season — Mark Foley campaign signs or movie ads for "Idiocracy"?

If Foley had been as stealthy about messaging teenage pages as 20th Century Fox has been in releasing this dystopian social satire, Foley might still be the honorable member from Florida's 16th Congressional District.

"Idiocracy" couldn't be more undercover if it were wearing a burka: a film released without an ad campaign, without movie trailers, without media screenings.

You can see "Idiocracy" if you live in Atlanta, but not in New York. In Houston, but not in San Francisco. I saw it in Pasadena on a double feature with "The Celestine Prophecy," a cinematic mismating on the order of Lenny Bruce hooking up with Glinda the Good Witch.

I got wind of "Idiocracy" only because I know people who know the guy who made it — Mike Judge, who did "Office Space" and "King of the Hill." This film stars Luke Wilson and Maya Rudolph, with a cameo by Thomas Haden Church, the Oscar-nominated roué in "Sideways." And yet Paris Hilton got more press for "House of Wax."

"Idiocracy" begins as your standard suspended-animation plot, with its stars thawing out in 2505, in an America that will bring hosannas from the creationist crowd because, clearly, Darwin has struck out. The smart people have dithered themselves out of the gene pool. America 2505 is populated not by the fittest but by the fattest and the dumbest — the overbreeding, oversexed spawn of the cast of "Jackass." Their Barcaloungers are fitted out with toilets so they don't have to miss a moment of the top-rated show, "Ow, My Balls!" The nation's hit movie is "Ass": 90 wordless minutes of bare butt, winner of Oscars for best picture and best screenplay.

It's worse than Big Brother — it's Big Bro.

Time traveler Joe Bowers was "remarkably average" five centuries ago, but here he's the smartest man around. People who converse in hip-hop catchphrases and advertising jingles mock Joe's subject-verb agreement as "faggy." But the nation plunges into crisis — no more burrito toppings — because a canny uber-CEO bought the FDA and replaced water with sports drinks, even for crops. The president, a pro wrestler who's put mud-flap girls on the White House gates, puts Joe in charge of saving them all. "Do something smart," the Cabinet orders him, by the light of a pool-hall beer lamp.

Why has Fox deep-sixed this film? A Fox spokesman tells me that "Idiocracy" was "a limited release, that's it, nothing to really talk about."

But the cine-blog world is roiling with questions. Did Judge's film, by sheer happenstance, mirror Rupert Murdoch's blueprint for a Fox-fed nation of fat, dumb and happy? Is the problem a threatened lawsuit over the way "Idiocracy" treats corporate America? Starbucks in 2505 serves speedy sex acts with the coffee, and Carl's Jr. and H&R Block get the same rough handling. But that's why studios have lawyers, and that's why we have the 1st Amendment.

Perhaps it's been cast out of distribution Eden for the same reason that Newsweek made "Losing Afghanistan" its cover story last week in every country except the United States. We got a cover story about a celebrity photographer.

It could be the same reason the $400-billion "war on terror" has been slyly financed by "emergency" legislation, put on the nation's credit card, where the bill never seems to comes due. Or the same reason the administration bans pictures of coffins coming back from Iraq.

And that would be because Americans are being mollycoddled and infantilized. If we're not getting the truth — even delivered via satire — it might be because leaders think we can't take it, or they may be afraid of what we might do if we did get it. President Bush dismissed leaked intelligence reports critical of the Iraq war because they could "create confusion in the minds of the American people." Goodness no; don't confuse us with information.

Luke Wilson's Joe is cinema's classic "average guy" who spills the beans to the other folks — Gary Cooper's John Doe, Jimmy Stewart's Sen. Smith. Such men are dangerous. And "Idiocracy," in its snarky way, is a dangerous movie.

Joe tells a fellow time-traveler to return to the past to "tell people to read books, stay in school…. I think the world got like this because people like me never did anything with their lives…. There was a time in this country when smart people were considered cool." In a culture devoted to "getting and spending," that's radical talk.

Slate.com calls "Idiocracy" "the most stirring defense of traditional values since Edmund Burke's 'Reflections on the Revolution in France.' " I wouldn't go that far, but Judge may be a man out of his own time too. You have to wonder whether he's making satire — or documentaries.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEightball
whore consumer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: KingOftheThing]
    #6543713 - 02/08/07 10:12 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

yup i seen it, very good. done by the kind of the hill/beavis and butthead dude

--------------------
If you're frightened of dying and you're holding on.you'll see devils tearing your life away.
But...if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels
Freeing you from the earth.

Invisiblememes
Blessed

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In a Tree
Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: Eightball]
    #6543714 - 02/08/07 10:15 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

fucking GREATEST MOVIE EVER. well, not the grestest ever but DAMN GOOD.

iv rented it like 8 times since it came out - my friends and i kno the movie by heart.

"GO AWAY, 'BATIN"

edit: it's true though - there was 0 advertising for this movie. one tuesday it was just on the new release shelf at blockbuster, and being a stoner - i rented it (thank god for that decision). couldn't have been happier.

Edited by memes (02/08/07 10:20 AM)

OfflineAaronEvil
The GuitarVillain
Male

Loc: California
    #6543793 - 02/08/07 11:04 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

That guy is an idiot. I didnt read the whole article because he is incorrect about their add campaign. I saw posters and television commercials in California for the movie. That is why I bought it. He needs to do research first. The commercials were all over the boob tube out here.

--------------------

There is not a lot of difference between a fox hole and a grave; but knowing that you dug your ditch and climbed in anyway.

OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: memes]
    #6543875 - 02/08/07 11:32 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I finished downloading it weeks ago and I kept hearing about it, but never got around to watching it. I'm finally going to give it a spin tonight. I hear its hilarious. But watch it stoned. :stoned: Well thats fine I watch every movie stoned.

--------------------

OfflineTheCow
Stranger

#6543943 - 02/08/07 11:53 AM (17 years, 4 months ago)

Yea its pretty amusing. They have really good visual gags in it the whole time, however its definitely no office space.

OfflineShroomFan
nn dmt

Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: TheCow]
    #6544826 - 02/08/07 05:16 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

must chk this movie

--------------------
Fellow Shroomerites, if you Love expressing yourself with a dope tee shirt feast your 3rd eye on www.facebook.com/vicereversa
∞ Conscious Clothing for Conscious Minds ∞ Wear a tee , open a mind
Each shirt is spawned to Arouse Awareness <> We believe in Sustainability & Giving back <> Do you know of a community project or persons in need you feel deserves attention? - Tell us on our page And we just might pick the story > develop a tee > and donate the proceeds to that cause. ∞♥∞ Unget it, VICE REVERSA

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: ShroomFan]
    #6544848 - 02/08/07 05:23 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

i'll rent it tonight

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
    #6544868 - 02/08/07 05:27 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

It wasn't THAT funny. There were some pretty hilarious bits though. Very appropriate cultural commentary even if it doesn't work that well as a movie. I felt maybe someone other than Luke Wilson would have been more appropriate.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
    #6544956 - 02/08/07 05:57 PM (17 years, 4 months ago)

I only heard about this last week because a friend told me about it. I guess I'll try hunting it down on DVD. Does anyone know if it has subtitles for it?

Invisibleelbisivni
    #6849907 - 04/29/07 03:43 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I got to see this movie today.  I highly suggest giving it a spin or 2. That's why I'm bumping this thread. :thumbup::thumbup:

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your pants.
Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: elbisivni]
    #6849923 - 04/29/07 03:47 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

We got it the first day it came out...

Its pretty stupid but hilarious... it takes current society to the extreme...

Some quotable shit in there tho...def. entertaining.

Invisibleelbisivni
Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: HighTek]
    #6850393 - 04/29/07 06:00 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Its pretty stupid but hilarious...

when it was over I said to myself, "that was horrible.." but I enjoyed every minute of it.

I never thought I'd say I can relate to a character played by Luke Wilson(?) but it seems I can now.

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: memes]
    #6850675 - 04/29/07 07:19 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Batin' HA! I introduced my buddy to that movie and we probably said it 100 times that weekend.

"Holy Shit! It's Beef Supreme!"

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

InvisibleKingOftheThing
the cool fool
 User Gallery

Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: DrCamacho89]
    #6850740 - 04/29/07 07:40 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

its the future of our country for sure
its the wet dream of every red state repulican

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

#6850765 - 04/29/07 07:47 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

KingOftheThing said:
its the future of our country for sure
its the wet dream of every red state repulican

:smile2: Yepp.  President Camacho is definitely an extreme W. Bush. 

My name is dedicated to the commander in chief: President Camacho.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LdAiN-hGZkQ

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your pants.
Re: Idiocracy: The Funniest Movie You Can't See [Re: DrCamacho89]
    #6851002 - 04/29/07 08:51 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I like money...

Offlinedomite
Puppet
Male User Gallery
Loc: Who's askin'?
    #6852339 - 04/30/07 02:41 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The clips you guys posted in this thread made this movie seem pretty fucking retarded. I'm thinking it might have just been a limited release because it sucked?

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over
    #6852651 - 04/30/07 06:24 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Made me LOL. Good flick.

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over
    #6852659 - 04/30/07 06:29 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

HighTek said:
I like money...

Me too... but man, when you don't have any, it's hell. Damn money problems make me stressed.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Polypropylene Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order