Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineATLean
I'm a Tyvek ManMyself
Male

Loc: ATL
quetion about lime
    #6541169 - 02/07/07 05:01 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

At Lowe's we sell garden lime that says "safer than hydrated lime". We also sell palletized and pulverized lawn lime. Is that the right one for my casing?

I'm about to shoot up 12 pint jars with GT. I'm going to try a mix of popcorn, millet, and flax seed spawned to 50/50 pasteurized store bought cow poo/peat moss with a hint of lime for PH. No specific TEK jut a bunch of high nutrient shit all on one package. Little o this little o that. I'll let everyone know how it goes with pix.

--------------------
Space for sale.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: quetion about lime [Re: ATLean]
    #6541889 - 02/07/07 07:42 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Those are both the wrong type. You want calcium carbonate in non-pelletized form, or hydrated lime. When they say 'safer' than hydrated lime, they mean it's in pellet form so it's slow release. Hydrated lime is a water soluable powder, so if you use it in your garden, it can kill your plants the next time you water because it all releases at once. However, that's what we want when putting together a casing layer or bulk sub.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineATLean
I'm a Tyvek ManMyself
Male

Loc: ATL
Re: question about lime [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6542401 - 02/07/07 09:47 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Thank you Sir. I do believe I saw a bag of calcium carbonate at the Home Depot Landscaping Supply store.

If you don't mind me asking RR, what is you're personal opinion about my concoction? Are these a good combination?

--------------------
Space for sale.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: question about lime [Re: ATLean]
    #6542910 - 02/08/07 12:32 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

The peat moss will only dilute your manure. Use coir instead. If you need to fluff it up a bit, add vermiculite. Toss in some coffee grinds from after brewing coffee. The filter can go in as well. If using store bought manure from lowes, be sure to smell it first. If there's any hint of ammonia, let it sit on a tarp in the outdoors for a few days before pasteurizing to flash off the ammonia.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
Re: question about lime [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6543431 - 02/08/07 07:02 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

RR Two questions about store bought manure:
Does the ammonia smell go away when it's ready?
AND
Will this still work in freezing and near freezing temps outside if it's getting plenty of sunshine or is heat needed as well?

Offlinevintage_gonzo
Stranger

Re: question about lime [Re: rawtoxic]
    #6543572 - 02/08/07 08:28 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

you can leach the poo by making it wet and then letting it dry outside on a tarp or something. But yes, when the ammonia smell is gone it can be used but not until it is gone.

As for your second question if you want the myc to fruit then yes its needs to be about 75 degrees optimally. Also, your myc will colonize VERY slowly if at all at near freezing temperature or for that matter below 65 degrees.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: question about lime [Re: vintage_gonzo]
    #6543694 - 02/08/07 09:56 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, the ammonia will flash off in cold temperatures. Just keep it exposed to the air and sun. When the ammonia smell is gone, hydrate and pasteurize.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale