Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebonehead
Stranger
Amanita sp of some kind? help id please? GREAT pics
    #6539595 - 02/07/07 08:43 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

These pics are from a couple years ago. I assure you I am not looking for an ID as an ok to ingest these, I simply to know what they were.

At first I suspected them of being Yellow patches (Amanita flavoconia), but now I am begining to think they might be something else, perhaps A. formosa?

This first one is just a great pic showing a couple stages of growth, plus you can just make out a button there under the tree:

Here's a baby:

This one was the best. I was blown away by the size. Even using a pen as a size reference the pic just doesn't look to me like it adaquately reflects the immense size of that particular specimen. It was truely remarkable.

A positive ID would be greatly appreciated. If I make it back to that area at the right time of year I will attempt to get a spore print to assist in identification, but it won't be for a while.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: Amanita sp of some kind? help id please? GREAT pics [Re: bonehead]
    #6539816 - 02/07/07 10:17 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Very cool pictures. I especially like the first one of them hiding in the firs. Based on the visibility of shaggy, concentric ring veil remnants on pic number 2 I'd be inclined to think that you do have A. muscaria var. formosa (which might even have a different name these days). I'd refer you to mushroomexpert.com which has a nice section on amanitas, as well as a link to Tullous study in Amanita website which is the definitive site for Amanita IDs (though it's a bit technical).

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita sp of some kind? help id please? GREAT pics [Re: xmush]
    #6539937 - 02/07/07 10:59 AM (17 years, 1 month ago)

I'd agree with A. muscaria var. formosa, or some other A. muscaria variety. Habitat matches up (under/near pines) and I can see concentric rings at the base.

What you do with it is up to you. I don't reccomend eating them. Most people who eat the yellow varieties of A. muscaria just get very sick.

Offlinebonehead
Stranger
Re: Amanita sp of some kind? help id please? GREAT pics [Re: Gumby]
    #6540531 - 02/07/07 01:59 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Well I thank you both.. These days I am not inclined to sample them. I am just interested in being able to properly label my pictures if possible. I just wouldn't want to suggest they are an A. muscaria variety, be wrong about that, and then have someone use that picture as some sort of a guide.

I still think my best bet would be to next year gather a sample for a spore print and if possible, a positive id. I have been able to get pictures of them a few years in a row, so I am quite sure they will be back.

I hadn't realized people tended to get sick on yellow varieties. Do you think this is in relation to the color specifically, or that perhaps yellow varieties might tend to be present in specific geographic areas?

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6540617 - 02/07/07 02:23 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Well, the spore print will be white as with all amanitas. But by adding iodine to the print you can test to see if the spores are amyloid - which means they turn blue when you add the iodine. A. muscaria are non-amyloid, the only color you would see is the brown of the iodine. A. flavoconia are amyloid, meaning you will see the color change to a bluish or even dark purple/black.

Offlinebonehead
Stranger
Re: Amanita sp of some kind? help id please? GREAT pics [Re: xmush]
    #6540625 - 02/07/07 02:25 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

Excellent.. thank you very much..

Now I just have to sit and wait for next year... hhehe

Offlinecanid
irregular meat sprocket
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: looking for zeebras, n. c...
Trusted Identifier
    #6541047 - 02/07/07 04:22 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

beautiful. that first pic looks kinda' festive and christmasy.

--------------------

Attn PWN hunters: If you should come across a bluing Psilocybe matching P. pellicolusa please smell it.
If you detect a scent reminiscent of Anethole (anise) please preserve a specimen or two for study and please PM me.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #6542533 - 02/07/07 10:27 PM (17 years, 1 month ago)

bonehead, I think that the biggest problem with the yellow varieties is that there are a bunch of Amanita species that look like those, so some of those cases are probably people eating a similar species. Also, the vast majority of people I've talked to find eating A. muscaria to be pretty unpleasant.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale