Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale, Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineWorkmanV
Psilocybe Microscopist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Washington, USA
Trusted Identifier
Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection
    #6520065 - 02/01/07 04:50 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

The sporeworks.com gallery is not functioning correctly yet, so here is a little preview of what is happening with a collection from California that appears to be Psilocybe subaeruginascens from Japan.

I should mention that the side by side comparison image is a bit forced. I matched up the structures that looked the same and ignored the rest. The microscopic gill structures in the Californian specimen vary quite a bit, so with more effort with the microscope a near perfect match could be achieved with every drawing. But this wouldn't neccessarily show the typical or average structures observed. But, despite all of that, I am impressed with the overall match with only a modest difference in the average shape of the pleurocystidia.

Septentrionalis is the northern temperate variety and it would make sense that this would be the more likely version to invade California over the tropical/subtropical type.

One more thing; in the original Guzman drawings there are no Pleurocystidia drawn for the type, but there is for the variety. There are tons of typographical errors in Guzman's "The Genus Psilocybe" and I am wondering if the upper cluster of "Cheliocystidia" are actually the Pleurocystidia and were mislabeled.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Edited by Workman (02/01/07 04:54 PM)

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineH_Wrabbit
Explorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Portland, Oregon
Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: Workman]
    #6520185 - 02/01/07 05:26 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I was wondering what would come of that. Thanks for the update!

--------------------
Eat psilocybes, listen to A Silver Mt. Zion, read Howard Bloom and Tom Brown Jr, walk into the forest.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: H_Wrabbit]
    #6520237 - 02/01/07 05:41 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

wonderful, thanks workman...looks like Peter was on to something early on here.

and this is the California type

still nothing from this year, it's been so dry. Hopefully I can get better closeups this year if it starts raining again

Edited by auweia (02/01/07 05:42 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: Workman]
    #6520401 - 02/01/07 06:29 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Nice job Workman!! This is WayLits specimen, correct? Not the "Friscosa" specimens?

--------------------

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: CureCat]
    #6520490 - 02/01/07 06:52 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yes, workmans photo is from waylitjim...I'm pretty sure the ones I found are the same ones, but they were older and drier when i first found it last season..They both have a veil remnant, and both are stronger than cyans.

these are definately not friscosa...at first we thought they were azures, just because they're that strong, but they're definately not azures.

there is one thing tho...these are the ones that Peter examined and he said the same thing, except if I remember right, he said it wasn't quite like another specimen found in GG park earlier that year..there could be a couple of strains here because the one photo i found from japan got wavy around the edges at full maturity, and these didn't.

still, peter did say that this was probably subaeruginascens. Either way, I think we're getting alot closer here thanks to workman

also, I gave MSSF and peter a cardboard transplant of this last year, and it was going good at the time, plus I made a bunch of transplants myself, but I can't water them in a dry spell like this. As far as I know, me and Waylit are the only two to ever find this in the Bay Area...and there was this one guy at an MSSF meeting last year too (who found that one in GG park)...I saw that one, and it was pretty tiny compared to this(altho it did have the same general shape, unlike cyans or friscosa) I think that's why peter said it's not quite the same.

the one thing I learned for sure, it's not azures, and it's not even in the cyanescens family...compared with cyans and friscosa, this is waaay out in left field

truth be told, I had no idea what this was when i first found it...I picked them anyway thinking I was going to throw them out in the garbage. I figured they were some weak species I didn't know about cause they smelled like hay mushrooms and they didn't turn very blue (now I rememeber it's because they were already drying up good)...that is, until I ate one...one about the size of the small one I'm holding in my hand in the photo....just one, and I spent the rest of the day biking on the waterfront getting away from people :smile:

these are about the rest of the photos I have from last season

Edited by auweia (02/01/07 11:02 PM)

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: CureCat]
    #6520495 - 02/01/07 06:53 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

fantastic work

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: Mitchnast]
    #6531908 - 02/05/07 12:23 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This is amazing! to think it has all occured within the last decade. I wonder how many people are picking these things... I'm gonna take a trip up to San Fran next year for sure.

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #6532890 - 02/05/07 12:04 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

there's not many people finding this type at all. It's pretty rare compared to cyans/friscosa. Here we only know of two people that ever found it. And there was one guy last year who found a single tiny specimen in GG park too

there's not much else to go on. If there had been more finds I'm sure we would have heard something from the MSSF about it. You never know, we might in the future

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #6532925 - 02/05/07 12:22 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I must note a few observations in this species comparison. One is that i do not notice any fillaments on the stems of the california Psilocybe collections as shown in the Guzmán drawings of the stipes in teh japanese collections.

While P. subaeriginascens is known of only from Japan and from Indonesia, the variation Psilocybe aeruginascens var. septentrionalis is only known of from northern Japan and not from Indonesia at all.

I think the California specimens by waylitjim are new and unidentified, but work is being done by Guzman, some by me in Bangkok and Workman and a few others on these California species.

mjshroomer

Invisibleauweia
mountain biking
 User Gallery

Re: Comparison of Psilocybe subaeruginascens with California collection [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6533295 - 02/05/07 03:00 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

yeah, you might be right. i don't think it's the last word by any means, but at least we can call it something.

funny you should mention those filaments, because that's one of the the things I noticed missing from from the friscosas as opposed to cyanofibrillosa of the PNW...at least the descriptions of it

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale, Premium Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification