Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS]
    #6518848 - 02/01/07 04:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Morrison backs ban on drug paraphernalia
February 1, 2007 - kansas.com

Kansas Attorney General Paul Morrison is supporting a legislative push by the Wichita Branch NAACP and a statewide task force to ban the sale of drug paraphernalia in Kansas.

"He wholeheartedly supports banning all drug paraphernalia," said Ashley Anstaett, communications director for Morrison's office. "He prosecuted one of the first drug paraphernalia cases in 1981."

The recommendations by the NAACP and the Drug Paraphernalia Task Force aim to strengthen current law by defining drug paraphernalia more specifically and stiffening penalties for violators, among other provisions.

The proposal is waiting to be assigned a bill number and a hearing before a House committee.

State Sen. Donald Betts Jr. said he has introduced the Senate version, which is also waiting for a bill number and committee assignment.

Betts said support from Morrison and the Kansas Bureau of Investigation greatly strengthens the cause.

"No problem," Betts said. "The bill's going to pass."

Morrison's case in 1981 resulted in two Johnson County store owners being found guilty of possession of drug paraphernalia with intent to sell with controlled substances. They were fined $2,500 each and sentenced to 90 days in jail.

The Kansas Supreme Court upheld the decision in 1983.

Under current law, something cannot be classified as paraphernalia unless it contains drug residue.

The law allows merchants to defend what they're selling by saying the items are novelties or are used for tobacco products.

Kyle Smith, deputy director of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation and chairman of the statewide Drug Paraphernalia Task Force, said the new proposal would eliminate those grounds.

"Whether we caught it before or after you light up, it's paraphernalia," Smith said.

The bill would also make the definition of drug paraphernalia more detailed to include, among other examples, "bongs or smoking pipes designed to draw smoke through water or another cooling device" and "any smoking pipe manufactured to disguise its intended purpose."

Smith said that definition would control items such as the 4-inch glass tubes holding fake flowers, which some merchants call vases, that can be used as crack pipes.

The bill would also make it a felony to sell drug paraphernalia within 1,000 feet of a school.

Cristi Cain, coordinator of the Kansas Methamphetamine Prevention Project and a task force member, said public education has increased awareness about the paraphernalia problem.

The task force was created in March and started conducting seminars in May.

"A lot of people, parents specifically, didn't have any idea that these items were so commonly sold in our community," she said. "A lot of people just pay at the gas pump and don't go into a convenience store.

"We're educating them about the danger that could occur in that store to them as a customer or to the store's employees when you're bringing in someone who's possibly high on meth or crack."

Kevin Myles, president of the Wichita Branch NAACP, said he's pleased that the effort has progressed beyond targeting one convenience store -- U.S. Gas at 25th Street North and Hillside in Wichita -- to a statewide effort.

Myles said the NAACP and the task force will work together to see the proposal through the legislative process.

"This idea has certainly garnered widespread support from all areas of the community," Myles said, "and I'm optimistic we'll get it done and passed this session."

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinetihkalpihkal
captain insano
Male User Gallery

Loc: The basement of the alamo
Re: Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS] [Re: veggie]
    #6519032 - 02/01/07 07:54 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I guess they will soon outlaw lips. "some argue its nearly impossible to smoke an illicit substance without there lips." said Attorney assclown.

--------------------
Was the lockness monster in fact Jack the Ripper?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS] [Re: tihkalpihkal]
    #6519046 - 02/01/07 08:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

"We're educating them about the danger that could occur in that store to them as a customer or to the store's employees when you're bringing in someone who's possibly high on meth or crack."

Stupid... people buy drug paraphernalia for use in getting high not for something to do while they are high.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS] [Re: Seuss]
    #6519098 - 02/01/07 09:16 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

awesome, now glass blowers can charge more for their crafts. thanks government, for making the black market more profitable!

two months later

"authorites have found what is now being called the largest glass seizure in state history..."

rolls eyes. better outlaw aluminum foil, plastic bottles, common sense and basic ingenuity of bong construction.

InvisibleAroundtheSon
Learning to See
Male User Gallery

Loc: Midwest.
    #6519099 - 02/01/07 09:17 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I fucking hate Paul.

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS] [Re: AroundtheSon]
    #6519101 - 02/01/07 09:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

LOL doesn't the NAACP know the drug war was founded on racism? They are just supporting racism.

They are dumb they might as well make aluminum cans and tin foil illegal too.

Fucking retards.

OfflineNoviseer
Percussion isFree
 User Gallery

Re: Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS] [Re: StroFun]
    #6519133 - 02/01/07 10:07 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yea wtf does the NAACP have to do with this issue?

--------------------

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS] [Re: Noviseer]
    #6519223 - 02/01/07 11:04 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Here is an article with some information about the NAACP's campaign against paraphernalia: NAACP wants drug paraphernalia out of shops

An owner of a convenience store selling these items made these comments:
Quote:

He pointed Thursday to a tire gauge and said, "If they want to use the tire gauge (to smoke drugs), they can use that."

He questioned why the NAACP would target glass stems and other products and not liquor or tobacco, which also are harmful.

"They'd have to make a rule for everything," he said.

I think the NAACP has run out of important things to do. All the Civil Rights laws have been passed and there is less and less outright discrimination. They have definitely fallen behind the times. I don't know of any proud black man that wants to be called a "colored person".

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6519257 - 02/01/07 11:19 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

They can pry my bong, bubbler, dugout and Volcano from my COLD, DEAD HANDS!!!!!

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: north eastern kansas
    #6519398 - 02/01/07 12:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

This is a classic case where the lesser of two evils dynamic is beautifully illustrated.
Democrat Paul Morrison was in a highly contested race with republican incumbent Phil Kline for Attorney General of Kansas. Phil Kline was the far right wing wacko who attempted to subpoena medical records of women who had abortions in a purported fishing expedition. You may have heard about it as the story did garner national media attention.
All the liberals and moderates threw a tremendous amount of support to Paul Morrison, it isn%u2019t all that uncommon to see Paul Morrison bumper stickers on cars that also sport Normal stickers. Paul won the election by a sizable majority of the vote.
Well Democracy%u2026 You screwed us again!

Georgem

Edited by georgeM (02/01/07 12:15 PM)

Invisiblecricket
Lord Cricket
Male User Gallery

Loc: in my house, in front of ...
Kansas, rewriting all the rules. [Re: veggie]
    #6519604 - 02/01/07 01:40 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

"Whether we caught it before or after you light up, it's paraphernalia," Smith said.

This is one FUCKED UP state.
The people around here have gone retarded from thumping each other with bibles, or maybe it's inbreeding. I don't know.

Decreased penalties for possession of hard drugs.
Increased penalties for possession paraphernalia.

It's almost as if they're saying, OK, you can have some drugs, you just can't have any of the tools needed to consume them.

Depending on how the new law is worded, Kansas may soon be able to arrest people for having rolling papers, light bulbs, tinfoil, straws, baggies, bottles, cigar tubes, clips, tire gages, and any other object that could possibly be considered or potentially be converted for use, as drug paraphernalia.

Under current law, something cannot be classified as paraphernalia unless it contains drug residue. The law allows merchants to defend what they're selling by saying the items are novelties or are used for tobacco products. The new proposal would eliminate those grounds. The bill would make the definition of drug paraphernalia to include, among other examples, "bongs or smoking pipes designed to draw smoke through water or another cooling device" and "any smoking pipe manufactured to disguise its intended purpose. That definition would control items such as the 4-inch glass tubes holding fake flowers, that can be used as crack pipes.

Just last month they were saying...

"Possession of a quarter-gram of illegal drugs used to be prosecuted as a felony in Wichita.
The practice was changed in Wichita about two years ago to allow police to better use their resources, said Deputy Police Chief Tom Stolz. Detectives now can focus on more serious drug investigations.
To be honest with you, there's so many paraphernalia cases that we could clog the District Court system if we charged them all as felonies"

Can anybody read both articles and make since out of what they are trying to say?

--------------------
I tried to leave my signature but it didn't work...
By the way... Does anybody know how to get sharpie markers off of a computer screen?

Offlinewiggles
Miffed a Milf
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Attorney General supports banning drug paraphernalia [KS] [Re: cricket]
    #6521752 - 02/02/07 12:57 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

And then thousands of business owners who own hookah bars are forced to close their doors, or worse (just like in operation pipe dreams).

Then papers are made illegal? Then cigars?

No way it'll get through... too slippery of a slope, plus I doubt that the supreme court would let it stand.

--------------------

You can turn your back on a person, but never turn your back on a drug, especially when its waving a razor sharp hunting knife in your eye.
Hunter S. Thompson

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom