Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAjna4201
DidgeridooExtraordinaire
Male

Diet / Excercise suggestions?
    #6499819 - 01/26/07 04:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Okay, so I've always been a small guy. I'm about 5'10" and weigh 120lbs. I have a super fast metabolism is seems, because my eating habits are pretty much the same as many 19 year old males in college. Lots of pizza, fast food, etc.

Lately I've been trying to gain weight by eating three square meals a day. Instead of just eating whatever I can get my hands on whenever I'm hungry, I've been making sure to eat until I'm full for every meal and to eat healthy balanced meals.

On top of this, I've been working out every day in an attempt to get stronger and gain some muscle mass. Knowing that it takes protein to build muscle, I've been making sure to eat a lot of meat with every meal.

So my questions are...

What is a good protein supplement? Are those whey protein mixes worth it? Sometimes due to my busy schedule I miss a meal despite my best efforts. I also hear that those protein shakes are good for right after you work out. Should I use a protein supplement at all? Or is eating a lot of meat enough? Are there any other supplement type things that I ought to be taking?

Also, should I go for lifting as much weight as I can with fewer repetitions, or lift less weight with many repetitions? I'm not trying to tone up or anything, I want to gain muscle mass; so I assumed I should be lifting as much weight as possible.

Any input is really greatly appreciated. Sorry for so many questions, but I know almost nothing about this stuff.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Diet / Excercise suggestions? [Re: Ajna4201]
    #6499941 - 01/26/07 05:01 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

read my journal.. you are the exact same build as me..im about 8 lbs heavier.

as for the nutrition part.. wait for someone else.. nutrition really isnt my speciality..

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: Ajna4201]
    #6500369 - 01/26/07 07:59 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Exercise-wise, lighter weights with more repetitions tends to lead to a larger body, while heavier weights with less repetitions tends to lead to a thinner but stronger and firmer body (just in general that is, and though this is generally accepted, some still like to dispute the truth of this). The best in my opinion is to mix them, one day you do many many repetitions of lighter weights, other days you stack up the plates and do a few heavy reps.

I advice you do a lil reading up on the three different muscle fiber types and how to develop them all to build a well-rounded body. Ive been reading up a while but I still dont get it completely, so I wont try to explain it to you...

And if you eat plenty of protein packed foods, then you wouldnt really need a protein shake. But with these hectic lives we all live, we dont always have the time to fit in all our meals and so its good to have some protein shakes to fill in the gaps. Protein shakes are also good for post work out because it tends to take some time to cook food, but its best to get your protein and all within the first 15 to 30 mins after exercising. Also a protein shake can help load up on some extra protein before, after, during, or between meals to make sure you get enough of it.

My prefered protein powder would be Optimum's 100% Whey Protein:
http://bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
But there are others which I guess are just as good...

Similar supplements you might want to check out are things like amino acids, omegas, multivitamins, antioxidants, milk thistle, and maybe even some creatine.
There are a shit-load of supplements out there and most of them seem to be crap, so dont just start buying a bunch of them just cause the advertisement promises ou bear-like arms... you will be bankrupt within a week.

There are a shit load of articles about nutrition, and just as many articles on weight training. Many people dispute the effectiveness of certain exercises and routines and the value of supplements. When it comes to supplements: some swear by them, others consider them trash...
Take your time reading a bit to get down the basics, and then you can come up with your own well-informed opinion on what sort of exercises you should follow along with your diet.

Good luck and happy lifting :sun:

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: eligal]
    #6500431 - 01/26/07 08:14 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

see, i usually do the opposite..

well not the opposite.. but i def max myself out..

10 reps, then 8, then pretty much do my max.. i find this builds both endurance and muscle mass... and my weights have been increasing even over this week.

when i started i couldnt bench 110 lbs.. now im doing 115 lbs 2 times.. not bad for my first week back in the gym.

--------------------

Offlinerobbyberto
Water Boy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: Banez]
    #6500449 - 01/26/07 08:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Make sure you get a ton of calories and drink enough water.

--------------------
“People say having kids is life changing, well that doesn’t necessarily mean a good thing, does it? I could take one of my legs off. That would change my life.” -Karl Pilkington

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: robbyberto]
    #6500667 - 01/26/07 09:29 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

people need to STOP making these kind of threads once a week

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6500700 - 01/26/07 09:35 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

this is the physical and mental well-being forum.. i thought this would be the most popular kind of thread for the theme of the forum.
:shrug:

--------------------

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
    #6500733 - 01/26/07 09:44 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

it IS the most popular thread, thats the point. theres one every 3 days it seems like. whats the point of making the same thread over and over again?

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6500740 - 01/26/07 09:45 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

i agree.. some people should just use the search feature... but there are far more redundant threads in other forums to the point where diet and excercise threads no longer annoy me..

try looking at all the salvia and MJ threads in ethno and the Poppy Seed threads of ODD.. those are farrrr more annoying.

--------------------

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #6500829 - 01/26/07 10:21 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Banez said:
see, i usually do the opposite..

well not the opposite.. but i def max myself out..

10 reps, then 8, then pretty much do my max.. i find this builds both endurance and muscle mass... and my weights have been increasing even over this week.

Sure, basically youre doin what I suggested just in a different order, instead of doing high reps one day and heavy weights another, you begin with higher reps and work towards heavy weights in the same session. Technically its the same, the main point is to work all muscle fiber types. I was just suggesting one of the many possible patterns.

Which brings up the point of alternating routines. When following a specific routine, you will eventually hit a plateau, and to break through this the best is to drastically change your routine. This can include the order of the exercises, the number of reps, the weights, etc. etc.

And Banez you also brought up the good point of maxing out. You gotta max yourself out!! :headbanger:

ps: nice progress on the bench Banez :thumbup:

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: eligal]
    #6500931 - 01/26/07 11:05 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

thanks man.. not close to what i use to be at.. but give me a month and i should be doing well again..

maxed out squating 175 today, again, not bad for 2 weeks in.

and i usually switch up the order of my routine daily.. never doing shit in the same order... i usually spend atleast an hour on the basketball court before i touch any weights... really gets the blood flowing, the sweat pouring, and makes me feel good about being white (i love introducing the negros to the hook shot, they just cant stop it)

--------------------

OfflineAjna4201
DidgeridooExtraordinaire
Male

#6501090 - 01/27/07 12:35 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the input guys! It helps a bunch!

PS: Sorry if my thread was so terribly redundant that it pissed everybody off. I guess I'm just a dummy. :tongue:

--------------------

Offlinephoenity
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Diet / Exercises suggestions? [Re: Ajna4201]
    #6512026 - 01/30/07 11:33 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Don't strength train everyday as your body needs time to heal. I find that even long, strenuous cardio exercise on my off-days seems to be detrimental to my energy levels so I keep it light on those days.

Protein is important for building muscle mass, but not as important as these nutritional supplement companies make it seem. What's most important is eating a healthy, balanced diet. You sound a lot like my body type and a fast metabolism may benefit from more than three meals per day or at least a hearty snack in between meals.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale