Home | Community | Message Board

Gaiana.nl
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Perlite, Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTacticalBongRip
Curious Observer
 User Gallery

I'm worried about my Salvia Plant =(
    #6498876 - 01/26/07 01:25 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

This little Salvia plant arrived on my doorstep 16 days ago. She was nice and healthy when she got here, but now, 16 days later, she just doesn't seem very healthy to me. The tips of some of her leaves are turning black, and there are even a couple spots on other parts of the leaves that have a black color. Today, she was leaning over a bit at the top. I've tried different things to get her growth jumpstarted and she seems to not have responded to any of it, just very very slowly degenerating in health.

First I was spraying her every couple of days with purified water, and placed her about a foot below a 25watt CFL(compact fluorescent). After about 10 days, I repotted her into a soil mix (FoxFarm OceanForest and Perlite - 50/50). I then moved her into a humidity dome which you will see in one of the pictures, where she has been for the past few days. I take off the dome once or twice a day and blow some CO2 on her as well.

I just want to save her before its too late, please help.

Here is the pod she's in:

Different shots of her (note: She is a very light green color - some of the pictures are misleading)

Thanks in advance for any help/tips offered.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

Re: I'm worried about my Salvia Plant =( [Re: TacticalBongRip]
    #6498916 - 01/26/07 01:35 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Looks fine to me, some browning is normal with all my plants. The newer leaves seem to brown/black a lot less frequently though. Mine were slow initially, then they started growing surprisingly fast. I think salvia just needs a bit to get used to its new home.

Tips:
-Make sure soil is relatively dry between waterings.
-They don't need much light at all. In fact, mine browned more with too much light.
-Give as much as fresh air as it can take. I let mine wilt, then I put a moster-size ziplock bag over top of it and after an hour she's all perked up again.
-Pro-tekt seems to be a good supplement for salvia.
-If the plant ever appears to be dead, water it as though it were still alive. It may just grow new shoots from its root crown and continue to live! (Two of mine did)

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

InvisibleTacticalBongRip
Curious Observer
 User Gallery

Re: I'm worried about my Salvia Plant =( [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6498963 - 01/26/07 01:55 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well, I feel a lot better now after reading your post badreligion2good. I appreciate you taking the time to reply:thumbup:

Also, I was wondering , do you mist yours at all? Do you think it would be a good idea to try and ween her out of the Humidity dome? And finally, do you think the way she is kind of limped over at the top is her wilting? (I had taken the top of the dome off all of last night while I slept - maybe that had somethin to do with it )

Anyway, thanks again bro.

OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

Loc: Oompa loompa land
Re: I'm worried about my Salvia Plant =( [Re: TacticalBongRip]
    #6499058 - 01/26/07 02:24 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Yep thats wilt put the dome back.

--------------------

Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

Re: I'm worried about my Salvia Plant =( [Re: Mr420]
    #6501751 - 01/27/07 10:42 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

They can wilt to the point where they're hanging over the edge of the pot, just give it the dome again. It will recover after about an hour of high humidity. Its interesting to watch them recover, you can see them move sometimes, at least I can.

I do spray mine, as well as keep them very humid. Salvia seems to have evolved so that it can take in a good amount of water through the leaves, so I believe spraying benefits it.

You should try to get it used to lower humidity, because the bigger it gets, the harder it will become to provide it with adequate humidity. Once they get going, they move pretty fast. It won't be long before your salvia is pressings its leaves on the side of your dome.

Remember not to overwater, as this seems to be a key killer of salvia.

Good luck!

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Edited by badreligion2good (01/27/07 10:44 AM)

InvisibleTacticalBongRip
Curious Observer
 User Gallery

Re: I'm worried about my Salvia Plant =( [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6506122 - 01/28/07 09:58 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Will definately keep that in mind. Thanks for your input:cool:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Amazon Perlite, Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden