Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
Is this going to have any effect?
    #6486858 - 01/22/07 06:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I'd really enjoy some input :smile:  Please navigate my poor grammar and long ass post, cause I'd love some feedback.

For over 4 years, I have not onced tried to change my diet.  For a good year, I was malnutritened.  Eating Mr. Noodles and KD everyday, with the occasional toast or sandwiches.

For the last couple years, I've eaten very poorly, but eaten lots because of the money I was making.  I'd eat anything I want for the most part, regardless of cost.  But it was a poor diet, consisting of ridiculous amounts of fast food of every kind, tons and tons of ready to go meals at the supermarket(lasaugna, stew, pizza, microwaveable roasts, chickens, spagetti, etc, etc).

In this last year specifically, I've been cooking a lot more, but probably still not that great.  I've slow cooked a ham weekly for this year, making a can of corn on the side with a baked potatoe or something.  I'd eat 4 ham sandwhiches a day with the leftovers, loaded with mayo and a mayo based mustard and tons of cheese.  AHH cheese....I eat ridiculous amounts of cheese for longer than I can remember and drink tons of milk. 

On top of that, I drink a lot of pop and for a few years have been drinking alcohol almost daily.  And 3/7 days I get absoulutely plastered...sometimes drinking for 16-18 hours straight.

On top of all this, I hardly eat fruit or vegetable, besides the occasional v-8 and fruit juices.

Needless to say, my diet has been horrible.  I can't remember the last time I didn't feel tired and lethargic.  I let things stress me out so much, always stressed actually.  I never sleep properly.  I sleep an hour, wake up for 10, sleep for 8, wake up for 2....it's very erratic and unpredicatable.  But lately, I haven't been sleeping much period.

Now onto things that really matter(the background is necessary for me to get some input)...

2 days ago I decided to go on a little diet or a detox of SOME sort.

I made a huge pot of soup loaded with everything you can think of.  Spinach, carrots, celery, cabbage, red kidney beans, onions, garlic, tomatoes and tomato juice and peas.  All of these which were said to be good things to eat on a detox diet.  I put it in a bunch of containers and have been eating it for lunch and sometimes another bowl some other time in the day.

On top of that, I have cut out bread, milk, cheese and any other dairy products.  I love my milk, so this is hard.  I bought rice milk and even though it's disgusting, I'm drinking it in the morning, along with eating fruits(bought some freshly cut fruit trays with pineapple, cantelope, honeydew melon and grapes, along with an assortment of fruits I bought such as blueberrys, rasberries, kiwi, grapefruit and such.  I make a shake with all this in the morning usually and also snack on the fruits morning, day, night.

Along with that, bought some freshly cut vegetable trays with carrots, celery, broccoli and red peppers which I also snack on during the day.

Also, bought lots of fruit and vegetable juices with no added sugar, just 100% juice....good stuff for you.

I'm trying to drink tons of water all day too along with the fruit juices and I bought some dandelion tea.

I plan to do this for 5-7 days.  Remember, I have been drinking daily for a long time, so I know this isn't long, but I'm on day 2 and this is getting SOOO fucking hard already.  I have some booze in the fridge and I love to have a bunch of shots while I'm playing my instrument.

Not to mention all the other good shit in the fridge that I can't eat.

The main goal of this is to give my liver a break on the booze and up the good stuff for my liver.  But I also thought it might help my general well being.

Is this going to have any effect on me because it's starting to not seem like it's not worth it? Any advice, input or suggestions?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLuSiD9
reality is plastic
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Bowels of Canada
Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: Spooge]
    #6486895 - 01/22/07 06:35 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Dude, I hear ya, my diet is very similar to the one you describe (The unhealthy one) I think I might join you on your new diet... Except I'm not going to cut out beer.

And yes, I'm almost 100% sure it will pay off.

--------------------
Nothing is true, everything is permissible.

Our laws make law impossible; our liberties destroy all freedom; our property is organized robbery; our morality an impudent hypocrisy; our wisdom is administered by inexperienced or mal-experienced dupes; our power wielded by cowards and weaklings; and our honour false in all its points. I am an enemy of the existing order for good reasons.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: LuSiD9]
    #6486899 - 01/22/07 06:38 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Except I'm not going to cut out beer

Fucker *weeps*. lol

I should also say to everyone that it cost a leg and an arm because almost all the vegetable were organic. The organic section is so much more expensive.

I bought some fruit too in the organic section.

I should also say that I bought some boneless salmon fillets. Gonna go cook one.

Edited by entityexperiment (01/22/07 06:49 PM)

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6486948 - 01/22/07 06:54 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Your best friend will be a blender!
If you allow yourself up to 1 pint of yoghurt (fat free or regular, but unprocessed otherwise) you can use this to make yourself two big healthy drinks.

If you take half a pint of yoghurt, an orange (or other fruit) and a banana, you can blenderize this into the best-tasting "milkshake" you ever had, and it's completely healthy.

It's really important to take a vitamin supplement and this is non-negotiable, that's my conviction.

The least you can do is take Twinlab's Daily One w/o Iron but it pays to take a big multi with a broader spectrum. As a bare minimum take one of these daily, if you want a little extra add a gram of vitamin C and some fish oil (the kinds of supplements where cheaper usually is better)

There are however much better broadspectrum multi's, where you'd take one to three *big* tablets a day. They have goodies such as Coenzyme Q10 and Alpha Lipoic Acid. If one or even both of these names show up on a multi label, you typically got a winner :thumbup:

The one I linked to you is a good bare minimum pill which you can get in lots of places, is a brand product yet costs a mere $3.75 a month. Considering 80 percent of westerners have one deficiency or several at once even by RDI standards, that is excellent value.

There's no way other than multi pills with which you can keep 22 micronutrients at healthy levels every day - for just $3.75 a month. Not intending you, but especially people for whom budget matters, a good multi is advisable.

You should see vitamins as an investment in your health.
Your body is being built, protected and maintained every day from the foods you eat. Taking a multi helps that process in hundreds of different ways. Even when you bump your head, you'll find your blood clots better, heals faster and leaves less of a scar.

If you can afford it - go for it, and by all means turn your family and friends onto vitamins.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Invisibleblewmeanie
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: Asante]
    #6486959 - 01/22/07 07:00 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Just stick with it man, it gets easier the longer you stay with it.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

Offlinetheleoj
Stranger
Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: blewmeanie]
    #6486991 - 01/22/07 07:12 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, sounds good to me. Make sure your getting some source of calcium though. Either from dairy products or vitamins. And i think the longer you stay on that diet the better off it will be for you and the easier it will get.

OfflineBrugman
antisobrietarian
Male

Loc: the land up over
    #6487105 - 01/22/07 07:55 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I'm currently on the Mr. Noodle/KD diet myself, until I get some money.. then I'm gonna do something similar to your new diet.. with vitamins and stuff too. It's my new year's resolution (Push myself to have a healthier body.. and quit smoking). I already quit smoking, so it's time to change the diet.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: Brugman]
    #6487119 - 01/22/07 07:57 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Brugman - do the vitamins NOW. It's no effort to speak of and your body will thank you.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6487134 - 01/22/07 08:02 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

The misty swamplands sprawled amidst the arid dunes in a paradise that was whipping fast past our vehicle. This pristine wildlife reserve intertwined among the industrialized and business districts of North East Florida.. The drum drum drum of the tires over the joints in the bridge purred as we comfortably cruised closer to our destination. My father and I pulled up to Little Talbot Island State Park We got out of the stretch station wagon with wooden panels and slow electronic windows. The air smelled like a fresh salty mist, and we embraced the sea breeze.
It was getting more heated as the orange star inflated over our heads. The blacktop and beach lot was scorching hot with the ten o clock sun. The temperature was rising. It was destined to become a hot Florida day. This was a prime place to be because it consisted of honeycomb of woodlands and intercostals water ways on one side of the Island, and the Atlantic ocean and it’s sand dunes on the other side. The emerald skyline was viewable from miles away by plane and had created a visual in my mind of this wildlife paradise long before we had arrived by land.
The Spanish Conquistadors had originally explored this area in the mid fifteenth century. The ocean side lot was less used, and it had become a more secretly kept fishing location. I could feel the excitement of the beach; the power of ascending into the metaphysical. I had become like Ponce De Leon or Cava de Vacco. Old explorers who had set foot here generations before.
My mind wandered to the fishing endeavors of my father and I, and of the people of ancient times. I was starting to realize that Mother Earth was more complex than I had ever realized.
A giant web connecting all things to one another became visible in my minds eye. It related to me the understanding of how we are all connected in one-way or another. The idea that all is one, and one is all. That respect and honesty are the only ways to live in this world. I tried respect for nature, and respect for all in my days on the beach side.
The stiff breeze whipped my hair like a winded flag slapping in the sky. The sun slipped past my eyes, and I glanced away. The frothy and dark waves of the ocean came upon the sand. The relentless cycles of crimson crescendo were beating into the earth. The sun and the moon pulled on the waters and brought it new life with the fall and rise. As the tide came and went, it was leaving bits and pieces of itself behind.

More to come, this short story will go until whenever. Chime in with the oneup on my mistaking prose.

Is this going to have effect?
As the W, W, W, W, W

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Loc: only the truth is left
Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: Kerbouchard]
    #6487289 - 01/22/07 08:48 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

So many people make these posts here about their crappy diet, and also talk about their regulat alacahol consumption. the poison must go well with poison. If you can try only drinking once a week or once a month, thats why you feel so stressed out. Alacahol makes me irratble, etc.. because its hurting our insides, so we are hurt, and 'angry' about it.. About the insturment. Insturments are good for being creative outlets. shifting your conscoiusness allows you to embrace your creativity more. so you will probably notice less intrest (at first) in making music. but if you dont force it, and let it come, it will :smile:

Maybe try soy milk instead of rice milk. Granola is really good with soy milk. Altogether, actully, drink water man. instead of something else. When youre thirsty its your body asking you for WATER- not sugar, rice, soy, or more sugar. You can make water better for you and taste better by adding EMERGEN'C vitamin packets to it. I definately would NOT cut bread out of your diet. There are alot of good tofu recipes you should try. I didnt like tofu before, but it is damn good. Try eating raw foods. Celery with peanut butter is delicous. Yellow peppers are also very good raw and plain. These are my tastes anyways yours may vary. There are lots of good salad dressings that arent fatty to make your vegatables taste better. Id definately buy your own fruits, not some pre-cut, because 1) they are most likely dirty(knives, surfaces, etc..) and 2 much more expensive.
Dandellion is good. Also milk thistle, etc... check it out here: DETOX info scroll down.
be careful taking too much detox though, ease into it

good luck brother

--------------------
God says dance with your heart
And shake free of you desire

Where theres a will theres always a way
When you get confused listen to the music play

Edited by CerebralFlower (01/22/07 08:55 PM)

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: CerebralFlower]
    #6487625 - 01/22/07 10:18 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

What your talking about is just a plain old diet.

I'm doing a detox of my system for 5-7 days.  No dairy products, no red meats, no wheat, no refined sugar or anything with added sugar.  No butter and no peanut butter :tongue:

I'm drinking lots of water, as you do when detoxing.

I'm getting lots of calcium from my rice milk.  It's also loaded with b12 and a bunch of other things.

Nuts and seed, beans of almost every kind, all sorts of fruit and vegetables(except corn, in moderation at least) are good to eat.  Especially beets, broccoli and beans.  They are really good for your liver.  I'm eating quite a bit of these products raw daily, but I also have the soup I made which I talked about.

On top of that, i'm drinking vegetable and fruit juices and such when I'm not drinking water.

I also take a vitamin C(500mg) once a day.

Quote:

Id definately buy your own fruits, not some pre-cut, because 1) they are most likely dirty(knives, surfaces, etc..) and 2 much more expensive.

I bought all the fruits that are in my fresh pre cut platters and then some.  I'm getting quite a variety.  I'm cutting my own as well.  Oh and the milk thistle is a good idea...I did plan to get some, but it was crazy busy and was tired of shopping.  I still need to get some.

Wiccan: 

The blender idea is good.  I've been using it a lot for breakfast.  I did by some low fat regular yougurt, but I'm finding I don't even need it.  I have so much damn fruit and juices, I'm making some damn fine tasting, healthy, concoctions.  :grin:

I'm not sure if I'm getting enough iron like you mention...I'm pretty sure there are good amounts of it in some of the vegetables, namely broccoli, right(i'm eating a lot of it)?

I've heard a lot of horror stories about multi-vitamins too though.  Especially through close friends.  I have the budget that I'd like to try and get all my nutritional needs from actualy foods if I can though.  In that case, anything I'm missing?

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

#6487788 - 01/22/07 10:47 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

yea eating a big variety is nice and your bound to get different nutriontal things

--------------------

OfflineFrosty_Storm
Wandered off inwonderland
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #6488624 - 01/23/07 04:16 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I am on a college diet consisting strictly of Ramen/Easymac/Dino nuggets from Sams Club.

I need to start eating healthier but it isn't in the budget at the moment =(.

Bring some soup over, I enjoy soup alot!

--------------------
Shrowded in an angelic white veil of darkness
~Frosty Storm~

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6488633 - 01/23/07 04:34 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

I've heard a lot of horror stories about multi-vitamins too though.

I don't see how well-dosed multis in any way can cause "horror stories". What have you been told?

Quote:

I did by some low fat regular yougurt, but I'm finding I don't even need it. I have so much damn fruit and juices, I'm making some damn fine tasting, healthy, concoctions.

Unless you are dairy intolerant adding some low-fat yoghurt to the fruit pulp will only do you good. The good thing about dairy is its protein, and with yoghurt you get just that, greatly increasing the nutritional value of your shake.

Quote:

I have the budget that I'd like to try and get all my nutritional needs from actualy foods if I can though.

Still I recommend you to take a multi, not just because it is my default recommendation, but also because you got some catching up to do nutritionwise, from having eaten poorly in the past.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
    #6488751 - 01/23/07 07:10 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

So your plan is to live healthfully for 5-7 days, then go back to eating all that dirty shit you were eating? What's the point if you don't plan on changing the way you eat forever?

Give your liver a weeklong break in the middle of 70-80 years of mistreatment? Pourquoi?

If you're struggling on day 2, obviously this isn't something you can stick to.

I'd say just make a few permanent changes to start and then see how it goes. Eat less cheese. Cut out the soda. Have some vegetables with every meal. More fresh food, less prepared food (it's cheaper if you're willing to invest some time in creating good meals.) More whole grains, fewer refined grains. And get your sleeping pattern in order.

A detox program might make sense if you planned on eating better after the 5-7 days. If you're gonna jump right back into the KD jungle, then I wouldn't bother with what you're doing.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

OfflineCerebralFlower
whats left?

Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6488840 - 01/23/07 08:24 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

yea, alot of people do drastic changes they cant stick with, so they go from extreme to extreme, bad foods, healthy foods, bad, healthy, etc...
find a medium. like the other guy said dont eat TOO much cheese, dont drink soda, keep eating raw foods, fruits vegetables. dont eat fastfood. i dont see how you guys can eat fast food :X
good luck, keep us posted

--------------------

Offlinehobbitxkillyou
Shark wrestlingchampion

Loc: Pennsylvania
    #6488857 - 01/23/07 08:37 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I didn't read all of the subsequent posts, so if I reiterate some stuff, oh well.

Good job on deciding to detox though. When you hit that 5-7 day mark, think to yourself, "Ok, not too bad, let's go a couple more days, maybe 3-4." Once you get into eating healthy, its really easy to stay on track, I think at least.

As for fast food, maybe now you love it, but after eating real food for a week or two, or maybe a month or so, it'll just look and taste like crap. I used to eat McDs all the time, now it makes my stomach upset.

After this detox of yours, you'll start feeling great. Don't rule out all the yummy stuff either, like red-meat, cheese, milk. A break for now is excellent, then once your get your healthy base, ease back into some red meat and dairy. But decent stuff....not McDs brand.

Same with soda. I used to drink it with every meal (cept breakfast). Now a 12 pack will last me a month. You feel MUCH better drinking on water, juices, and tea. (Try brewing some hot tea and cooling it in the fridge. Boil a liter or whatever and throw like 5-6 tea bags in it. Maybe add some honey or lemons in while it's hot. Personnally I like oranges in it. Really good drink.)

Anyways, keep it up. Always good to see someone get away from fast food, fatty consumer life.

--------------------
When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro.

-H. S. Thompson

Offlinefunkface
FriendlyStranger w/candy

Folding@home Statistics
    #6488884 - 01/23/07 08:50 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

entityexperiment said:
Quote:

Except I'm not going to cut out beer

Fucker *weeps*. lol

I should also say to everyone that it cost a leg and an arm because almost all the vegetable were organic. The organic section is so much more expensive.

I bought some fruit too in the organic section.

I should also say that I bought some boneless salmon fillets. Gonna go cook one.

Right on man, go with the body detox. Stick with it. You might want to pick up some detox tea as well to continue with AFTER you do the whole thing on your own. Adding detox tea or a pill cleansing system to a natural fasting/juice detox might not be the best thing for your system.

1 question you have to ask is... Did the organic veggies cost more than your fast food?

I can get more than a weeks worth of lunches for less than it would cost me to do 1 day of fast food. Think how long those veggies will last you and think how much it will cost you to eat fast food. Round me, a meal of fast food will cost no less than $5.

If the cash is tight then you can easily skip the organic stuff. Especially the fruit. What I notice is the organic fruit can be at absurd prices. The veggies are at least reasonable.

Try vanilla soy milk as well. Make sure to take a dietary supplement too. I'm a vegan and I'm not a huge fan of soy milk but the vanilla stuff is pretty good on its own. Great in cereal.

Everyone takes to their diets differently. Having a huge change like this will effect your body. Everyone will have a different reaction and it takes a little time for the body to adjust to the new diet that it is seeing. I see that the more food that I eat, the more tired I am and the less energy I have. I'm sure this differs for everyone.

Whiskey does bring up some good points though...

I wouldn't knock entity down because he is having a hard time on day two. Encourage with the detox and hopefully a life long change but a good question is brough up... Why are you doing this for a week? Are you going to keep this change? Are you going back to your old habits and just want to take a break to see if you can do it? I think are are pretty curious as to what the intent is behind the whole diet change.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Re: Is this going to have any effect? [Re: WhiskeyClone]
    #6490456 - 01/23/07 07:29 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

detox program might make sense if you planned on eating better after the 5-7 days. If you're gonna jump right back into the KD jungle, then I wouldn't bother with what you're doing.

That makes no sense.

The point of the program is DETOX. I truly believe that garbage collects in your system(all the gross perservatives and additives in food namely).

Doing this is basically giving my body a flush.

If you read my post, you'd see I haven't been on the "kd" diet for years. For the last year, I've been cooking all sorts of meals. Lots of hams, roasts, steaks, salmon, potatoes, pasta dishes, tons of chicken and whatnot. With most of these I'll heat a can of corn or beans or something. I'm not eating HORRIBLE...I just need more vegetables and fruits in my diet more regularly, that's for sure.

Regardless if I go back to my old eating habits or not, a flush of the system is going to be better than never doing it.

I'm not just "living healthy and dieting" for a week...I'm doing a full out detox. Mostly fluids and tons of greens, nothing else. These detox's aren't considered to be good for you on a long term basis. It's strictly for a flush of the system.

I'm on day 3 and the reason I'm having trouble is the no drinking rule. I love my booze and yes, it is very hard. That really makes me reavaluate how much I use it...tis not cool. Though I don't need you giving me flak for it. That's also not cool.

To Wiccan:

My friends who have taken those big multi vitamins, most have had adverse reactions...almost like an allergic reaction I guess. There's so much crap in those huge horse pills, I guess it must be not really "easing into it" when you just all of a sudden start taking those. I don't know the reasons, this is all speculation, but I know there is definetely a lot of talk among my friends and people I know about the adverse effects.

I'm not a pill person to begin with. I don't take pills for headaches or anything. Like I said, I have the money to try and get the nutrients out of natural stuff like veggies and fruits. I just don't like the idea of it.

To the last poster(i think), your advice on easing back into the dairy and meat after I'm finished is especially noted. Thanks

I'm especially trying to work on my eating habits. I barely chew my food and eat faster than anyone I know. So I'm working on really chewing my food and taking my time to eat. I want that to follow through for the rest of my life.

When I go back to a regular diet, the only thing I really need to change now is to add a more variety of fruits and veggies during the day and with my meals. I gotta start snacking on an apple or some celery before I snack on potato chips or cookies. That sort of thing.

My soup is badass...I also need to start making it more often.

Offlinemraejay
[ ! ]
Female User Gallery
Loc: beautiful BC
    #6491177 - 01/23/07 11:10 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

agreed, on top of all of your diet changes a multi-vit or two wouldn't hurt, even melatonin or valerian root to get your sleep shedual a little more consitant.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds