Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design!
    #6482300 - 01/21/07 12:26 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I hereby cast this .gif pic tutorial into the public domain. Save the pic and use it in any way that is legal and appropriate. Repost in other forums, send in email, put in your blog or website, all is well as long as you don't credit me, yourself or anyone with creating this.

Here's another wiccan_seeker tutorial to those thirsty.. for knowledge :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offline2859558484
Growery is Better
 User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: Asante]
    #6482851 - 01/21/07 03:12 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

im gonna get this tatoo'd on my asscheeks!

--------------------

InvisibleDety
Old No.7
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: Asante]
    #6483072 - 01/21/07 04:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

homedistiller.org Great site.

Quote:

It is possible to collect alcohol from a wash, without using a full-blown still. They use common kitchen items, and takes seconds to construct / dismantle (hmmm... say the Yanks). My only concern is that there is no way to remove & discard the methanol/fusels etc - so you're in for one hell of a hangover if starting with fruits high in pectin. These methods don't produce a great product (require a second redistillation through the equipment again, or use carbon to clean it up), and are low in % alcohol, but they are an alternative technique, and are better than nothing.

Here is a link with more info about this "amazing still"

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: Dety]
    #6483212 - 01/21/07 04:49 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Homedistiller.org is a great site! Dety, for you I've attached the full plans on how to construct an excellent still!

Quote:

My only concern is that there is no way to remove & discard the methanol/fusels etc - so you're in for one hell of a hangover if starting with fruits high in pectin.

When you use a wok still you are purifying a natural product which in itself is drinkable. The resulting product will always be cleaner and contain less fusels. No natural, common sense, fermentation will produce methanol levels that are of concern.

If you ferment normal edible stuff all this won't be a problem. If you aren't willing to risk drinking the wash, then you should never distill it.

Quote:

These methods don't produce a great product (require a second redistillation through the equipment again, or use carbon to clean it up), and are low in % alcohol

A wok still is in essence a pot still, which are the things used if you want flavor. If you want to produce neutral spirits then you might need carbon or a second distillation step, but what exactly is wrong with distilling a second or third time? Its been like that for hundreds of years. Triple-distilled has always been a mark of quality, that's what the XXX on stereotypical jugs of moonshine signify.

As for low % in alcohol: a wok still can go from mash to 50-60% in one distillation. Distill that a second time and you're at 80-90% which is already solvent strength. Distill a third time and you've got 90+%.

Quote:

they are an alternative technique, and are better than nothing.

Alternative aye, but its been around for hundreds of years longer than fractionating stills, and it is indeed quite something :thumbup:

If someone wants to build a designated still they need to work with copper pipe, solder, and there are risks of overpressure, fire hazards, lead-solder poisoned spirits, problems with cleaning your materials and so on, all these are headaches you won't have with putting a wok on a saucepan.

My wok still scheme can be used for alcohol, solvents and extracting essential oils from herbal materials through steam distillation. If making liqueurs is your measure: a wok still can be used to produce fine neutral spirits as well as many fine liqueurs.

Respect simplicity :sun:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Edited by Asante (01/21/07 07:16 PM)

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
    #6483508 - 01/21/07 05:52 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Ok, I'm totally unfamiliar with distillation and that site looks great, but it looks like it would take some time to go through, so...

Could this design be used to clean Toluene that has been used in an extraction? Normally I wouldn't care about cleaning it, but the stuff I have has been in an extraction jug for months because the pull I did before the one that's in the jug yeilded no product so I just kinda forgot about it and let it sit where it is. (I use two cans. One in the lye solution while the other is freezing.) So I figure it has quite a bit of plant matter in it now. I was just gonna toss it, but it sure would be nice not to have to.

If this is feasible, I'm assuming I would add water to the pot with the Toluene Instead of just the solvent itself and would the benefits outway the danger?????

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: VirgilKane]
    #6483803 - 01/21/07 07:14 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Schapper, in theory you could do this with toluene but in practice everything falls or stands with the tightness of the fit between the wok and the saucepan rim.

Distilling Toluene is just as flammable as distilling pure alcohol, but toluene is a completely nasty stench compound. If you can set the wokstill up outdoors or in a well-ventilated area risks may be reduced to acceptable levels, but you got to use your head.

What you'd do is put neat (contaminated) toluene in the saucepan, no water added, and distill most of this, letting the contraption completely cool before opening it to reduce vapor to a minimum.

This needs some tweaking to get right though.

The dangers are ofcourse fire hazard, as well as causing a chemical stink that may send cops to your door.

If I were you I'd definitely test your own wokstill design with something less hazardous before loading it up with toluene, but it can certainly be done. Fire hazard can be near completely prevented (the design is quite safe) so your main focal point would be odor control.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleVirgilKane
Miner for truth and delusion
 User Gallery

Loc: lowdown
    #6484129 - 01/21/07 08:19 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Cool, thanks WS!!:thumbup:

I have the means to do it outside (I'll just wait until a wet, windy day to disperse it better when most are indoors)

I'll get to work on some sort of gasket for the rim of the pot too and a big weight like in your original post.

--------------------
Absense of evidence is not evidence of absense...

"Religion is a defense against a religious experience"
              Carl G. Jung

"So really, ordinary reality is a kind of chemical habit, sanctioned by culture, which says it's okay to use certain drugs, eat certain foods, and have certain sexual behaviors. However, when you transcend all this pre-conditioning by returning to the original wisdom of the animal body, then you discover this immense dimension of opportunity. For some people, it is a frightening risk. To me, that's the psychedelic experience."
Terence McKenna

Invisibleelsig
Knowledgespeaks, wisdom listens
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the beach
    #6484370 - 01/22/07 12:44 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

have you tried this method ws? how strong is the ethanol ? i prefer my old stil that gives me a 96% result but intresting nevertheless.

InvisibleDety
Old No.7
Folding@home Statistics
    #6487033 - 01/22/07 07:25 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Holly crap nice reply Wiccan_Seeker you seem to know your stuff...Thanks for the PDF file. :thumbup:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: Dety]
    #6488828 - 01/23/07 08:18 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Holly crap nice reply Wiccan_Seeker you seem to know your stuff...Thanks for the PDF file.

Thanks! I really think things through before taking action. This robs life of some of its spontaneousness but it does generally make for good advice :ooo:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6490054 - 01/23/07 05:02 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I understand turning beer mash into 50-60%
but explain to me how I can take a pound of fresh herbs and steam distill the oil from it.
Herbs produce so little oil, that the goods are bound to never even drip in the collector cup.
How would you steam the herbs? put water below, and the herbs out of the water, on a rack so the hot steam rises into the herbs?
If this is the case, wouldn't you get a really weak water filled plant oil?

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: Kerbouchard]
    #6490343 - 01/23/07 07:00 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Basically you mix the herbs with water in the soup kettle, and distill some water. On top of this water there will float the essential oil, which you can take off with a pipette.

Most herbs contain a percent or so of essential oils, which is four teaspoonfulls to a kilo. Its not much oil, but it holds all the fragrance.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: Kerbouchard]
    #6490357 - 01/23/07 07:05 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Kerouchard- I have done this with peppermint and lavender before. A local herbalist showed me the trick while apprenticing.

What you end up with, or at least what I always ended up with, was a water/oil mix in the collection pot. I believe you can probably get the oil out by letting it settle in a narrow container and sucking it up in a dropper, though I never bothered with this step. The water/oil mix you end up with is plenty strong and can be used as a mister, or in cooking as an essence. Oh and we also simply put the herbs in the water.

I am currently seeking to turn strainless steel kegs into stills. Id like to get a local machine shop to fabricate a lid for me, which can easily be fit with a column and condenser.

Thanks for the post Wiccan_Seeker!

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: mattymonkey]
    #6490385 - 01/23/07 07:12 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

If you dissolve lots of salt in the water, its density will increase, which will drive out the oil.

But many oils rapidly separate, others take more time or need some help.

Quote:

Thanks for the post Wiccan_Seeker!

You keep us posted on your still plans! Are you going to go for a full, half or quarter keg?

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6490462 - 01/23/07 07:30 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

My main " cash crop herbs " this year will be Annisse Hyssop and Echinacea.
I also grow a large enough amount of various mints to get a nice vial or a combination mint oil...ater?

Edited by Kerbouchard (01/23/07 08:57 PM)

Offlinemattymonkey
Feel Like aStranger...
 User Gallery

#6490499 - 01/23/07 07:38 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Wiccan- I have a full keg and this: I will probably convert the small one first, to test the theory and get any kinks out.

Kerbouchard- Sorry but I don't have much practical essential oil distilling info for you, I can't seem to find it myself! I know much more about stills then actually distilling something. Its all theory.. Please let me know if you find any good online resources for home distillation of herbs. :smile:

--------------------
"listening for the secret.. searching for the sound.."

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Distilling your own alcohol, solvents or essences -- super-easy kitchen still design! [Re: mattymonkey]
    #6490520 - 01/23/07 07:45 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

The method you guys described seems like it would work, but not near as good as a professional herb distiller that gives you pure oil on the first run.
I as well have searched for alternate methods to the complicated and expensive professional setups.
However, the idea Wiccan suggested with the dropped soaking up the oil seems like it might work. I am deffinatly going to try it

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

#6490602 - 01/23/07 08:08 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Your Anise can contain up to 3% oil, your Hyssop 0.2-1%. But I think it will be more valuable if you sell it as a fine herb, at least the Anise.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6490748 - 01/23/07 08:55 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I'm growing Anise Hyssop, not one or the other. Hyssop is a different herb with blue flowers (I think.) Anise Hyssop is almost the same in characteristic except that it gets larger and has purplish flowers( most awesome smelling and looking).
It sells well as a dried herb for arrangements but other than that I have no use for the rest of the plant. Ounces and ounces of leaf material, which is useless in culinary purposes for the most part.
( this leaf material contains the essentials oils as well)
I would save the cut flowers separate, and distill the mass amount of leaves I would get, and then I would cut back the stems.
That is the right way to do it to set it up for winter dormancy. I'd like to get my vial of anise oil building. It's powerful in aroma magick.
Anise Hyssop is a WONDERFUL plant and is an annual that grows like wildfire, is easy to split, and survives the winter. It's a great herb :cool:

InvisibleKerbouchardS
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6490763 - 01/23/07 09:00 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

This is the gardening forum too :cool:

Check out this Anise grow guide and pics

Perennial - Zones 4-9
Anise hyssop is a licorice scented perennial native to the great plains of North America. Growing to three feet in height, anise hyssop has triangular, dark gray green leaves and spikes of violet flowers in the summer. It does best in full sun and well-drained soil.
It is easily sown from seed and once established in your garden, seedlings may begin popping up in unexpected places.

The tea made from the leaves of anise hyssop is sweet and soothing. Beautiful decorative herb used for potpourri and to make a superb aromatic herb tea. Excellent nectar plant for beekeepers. Attractive spires of lavender flowers.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds