Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
Please give dog training advice
    #6478567 - 01/19/07 10:39 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

My precious dog Tundra won't stay in the yard for anything.

I admit, see needs to be walked everyday but somedays I am just not physically up for it and now the weather is cold and windy (and of course she loves it). So ultimatly I may walk her once or twice a week. Starting tommorow I am going to try to walk her everyday.

She has an invisible fence which she pays no attention to. She knows the boundaries but if she wants to leave she will.

I live with my parents right now and they want me to get rid of her if she doesn't stay in the yard. My dog in NOT DISPENSIBLE. I HAVE TO FIX THE PROBLEM!

I watch Dig Whishperer on the Nation Geographic Channel an have his book. The show gets kinds corny sometimes but in terms of educational value it's great. He is a great dog enthusiast and must say I try to follow his fundementals. But I am obviously failing.

Now keep in mind in the house she is golden. I calm and listens to whatever I say. She rarely does anything wrong, in the house. When we walk she will walk normally. She tries to pull but after a few minutes of correcting she subsides. I have control over her in the house and outside when I am walking. The one thing she has a problem with is leaving the yard.

Do you think taking ym dog on hikes through the woods everyday would fix this? Or does the problem lies somewhere else.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: daytripper05]
    #6478598 - 01/19/07 10:45 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Awww that's such a cute doggie.

I don't know anything about training dogs, but I love them anyway. Uhm, I know that training schools a very recommended, and from what I hear, they work wonders. :o

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6478601 - 01/19/07 10:46 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I think the problem lies in the fact that the dog has no sense of boundary as far as the "yard" is concerned, and does not recognize that it isn't suspossed to run off.

I'd have to imagine that an invisible fence isn't worth shit, which is demonstrated by what you've said. If she's going to be outside, it sounds as though you'll either have to tie her up or put in a real fence. I'm not sure how one could train her to stay in the yard otherwise, but I'm not much of a dog trainer. :shrug:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6478619 - 01/19/07 10:51 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Yes. I definatly think you are right. Cesar Millan says "rules/boundaries/limitions". Invisisble fences can work because Gracie never leaves but has left before (very rarely). She understands these boundaries.

Just how can I show them to Tundra?

OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
    #6478623 - 01/19/07 10:53 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

I just wanna hug it

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Maverick]
    #6478768 - 01/19/07 11:58 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Check out these pics I just took. This is why I can't get rid of her, she's too fucking cute. I laugh at her everytime I look at her.

I checked out some information. I really seems to stem from a couple of problems. 1 she needs walked more. When I can't do this I think I am going to start using the tread mill. 2. She has a strong drive to hunt. She kills tons of shit and I see her eating it. She brought back a beaver in the fall. hahah, a beaver. she ate every bit too. So if I can challenge her in these two areas she might stay in her boundaries.

It would be nice to hear from some dog people. I am going to let this thread run a bit to see what we can come up with.

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
    #6478800 - 01/20/07 12:19 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

You walk your dog 1 or 2 times a week? No wonder she takes off, why would she want to stay there? No offense, but all dogs, especially huskies/snow dogs (which is what that looks like) needs a ton of exercise, and you're not giving your dog enough. Invisible fences are great, as long as you dont just install the fence and expect her to know the boundaries. What you're supposed to do is put up flags along the boundary line, put the dog on a leash and walk the boundary line with her and show her the limits. We have an invisible fence that came with a training collar that lets you use different levels of correction (shocks) or simply use unpleasant noises to let them know to not go any closer to the flags when you show them the boundaries. I'm not sure why your dog is outside by herself all the time anyways, but if she keeps getting away, you should either keep her inside and take her for MULTIPLE daily walks, or give her to someone who will take proper care of her. She might be "cute" and you might love her, but she deserves better. So either give it to her, or give her to someone who will.

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

InvisibleDexter_Morgan
Towlie's Mentor
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: higher than you
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Liz]
    #6478846 - 01/20/07 12:44 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Liz said:
You walk your dog 1 or 2 times a week? No wonder she takes off, why would she want to stay there?  No offense, but all dogs, especially huskies/snow dogs (which is what that looks like) needs a ton of exercise, and you're not giving your dog enough.  Invisible fences are great, as long as you dont just install the fence and expect her to know the boundaries.  What you're supposed to do is put up flags along the boundary line, put the dog on a leash and walk the boundary line with her and show her the limits.  We have an invisible fence that came with a training collar that lets you use different levels of correction (shocks) or simply use unpleasant noises to let them know to not go any closer  to the flags when you show them the boundaries.  I'm not sure why your dog is outside by herself all the time anyways, but if she keeps getting away, you should either keep her inside and take her for MULTIPLE daily walks, or give her to someone who will take proper care of her.  She might be "cute" and you might love her, but she deserves better.  So either give it to her, or give her to someone who will.

EXACTLY

Taking care of a dog is a lot different than owning a dog.

too bad :evildog:

--------------------
Uncleluke, getting his assbeat, then he tries to delete it
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6355469#Post6355469
Tomato-Faced Banez
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5933438#Post5933438
Dexter's Thesaurus
beer = guinness
smoke = vaporize
pubers = reasons to be pro-choice

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
    #6478895 - 01/20/07 01:12 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Like Liz said, you need to walk your dog around the boundaries you want set up for him. Just walk in a square around your yard and then give her a treat. Do this a couple of times a day. Go let her run around the yard afterwards, and if she comes back to you without going outside the boundaries give her a treat.

She'll catch on.

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

Invisibleelsig
Knowledgespeaks, wisdom listens
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the beach
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Jadian]
    #6479209 - 01/20/07 06:01 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

yes walking is very important, its in their instinct to follow their leaders in walk. when you walk your dog your telling the dog you are the boss + it gets to use its energy. your dog is a high energy kind of dog, it need LONG walks. if you dont feel up for long walks, get a backpack for it to give it some extra weight, fill it up with a few water bottles or something, but dont overdo the weight, this doesnt only give your dog more exersice you are also giving the dog a mission which is also importan thing. But your main problem is probably little exersice and not clear enough leader roles, this breed of dog you have loves to be used.. so my best advice is to give it a mission and lots of exersice, aaround the block is very little exersice for this dog, if you just want to do that you have the wrong breed of dogs, a chiuahua you can walk a few round around the blocks. walk it alot and you will see a changed much more happy dog. when it runs away its actually not because the dog is not good, its more likely your own fault

this is one of my dog, much like your breed this dog loves to be used. I walk it from 5 to 10 kilometers every day and its a perfect adjusted dog.

oh yeah forgot, using a training machine for the dog is a good idea but dont let it replace the walking with you with a leash between you which is your control of the dog and showing your in controll, walking is like i said not just about burning up energy, you, the leader, needs to walk it too.¨using just a mahine will probably not remove the problem with your dog running away, the dog is trying to tell you something, he tells you he is the boss there and then, so i think its unclear leader roles involved here

Edited by elsig (01/20/07 06:30 AM)

Offlinefurniture
Stranger
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Jadian]
    #6479217 - 01/20/07 06:17 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

buy a tri-tronics colar every penny is worth it.

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: furniture]
    #6479229 - 01/20/07 06:31 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

dog.com fourms

dogwhisper.com fourms

every dog i have had always stayed in the yard when they are puppies i walk them in the yard with a leash and i go to the borders and when they get just off the boundary i call them back or i say no and pull them in the boundary/road etc

then i walk with a leash and let go of it after a few weeks and when the dog goes off the boundary i call it back or say no and it comes back.

then it takes a few weeks of no leash training and thats it

i have no fences and a busy road in front of my house and the dog will walk the entire boarder sometimes just investigating but will not go out.

now when the dog has to go out all i do is go open up the door and the dog goes out by itself goes to the bathroom runs around after the birds etc (does not ever go out side the boundry but will sit there waiting to see if the bird will come back lol) and when she wants to come back in she comes to the door and barks once or twice

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

Invisibleelsig
Knowledgespeaks, wisdom listens
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the beach
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: royer]
    #6479241 - 01/20/07 06:36 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

yeah i learn my dogs to bark once for getting in or getting out, a couple of barks to signal people and so on. I only use leash for my dogs the first year when training them. when they are done with the leash they are done with most of  its basic training, a leash is a very important tool in training. If basic training is done right you dont have to walk it to show where the borders is, i have never done this, this should be completly unneccesary , the dog wants to be around you all the time and doesnt run away if its well trained. . howeer you should show the dog restricted areas where it cant go, like on the road or in your strawberries. This can be done like the above poster says .

Getting your dog in the righ state of mind is also very important, dont train your dog unless its calm and ready to recive new information. and dont give your dog affection unless its completly calm.  spinning with its tail and when the dog jump up on you and you think oh what a happy dog and pets it, this is a very common mistake.

A calm dog is usually a happy dog, people think dogs think like a human which it really doesnt. The worst mistake people do is treating their dog like its a child or another human. When you come home and the dog jumps up one you and the tail goes in all direction it does look happy for most people, this is really stress signals , a dog never in packs jump up on their leader and spin their tale

you shuold picture yourself as a dog instead of picturing the dog as a human, you are the leader of the pack :smile: dogs in packs plays with eachother so play is also an importan role, but play shuold happen when you want it and for as long as you want it since you are the leader.  a dog that comes with its toys to you all the time even when you say no doesnt see you as their leader but still one of their pack so its testing which one of you two is the boss

Edited by elsig (01/20/07 06:57 AM)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6479311 - 01/20/07 08:25 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

One idea is to get the bike out. Take the dog for some running. It won't take as long as walking around forever. :grin:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleAdden
I'm a teapot
Loc: Flag
    #6479350 - 01/20/07 09:12 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Please give dog training advice

Get a kitten instead.

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Adden]
    #6479526 - 01/20/07 10:50 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for all the replies. FYI, I have two cats. I love them too. :hehehe:

By the way, Tundra = Alaskan Malamute(huskies were bread from these)

We have flags up on the invisible fence and have tried the setting boundaries by pulling her away from the flags when the collar beeps.

See I am disabled so there are days when I cant walk her outside. These are going to be the days I hook her up to the tread mill. I would never replace walks with this. I see cesar do it on his show all the time.

She is very well behaved. When we walk I usually put a leash on her and she walks next to me or is trying to chase me(or be chased). When she does leave the yard she will always come back when I call her. No matter how far away she is. (it might take her a minute) She seems to know that I am the dominat one, most of the time. But it's good to hear that walking and setting some boundaries should fix the problem.

I would love to ride a bike but I am no balance and can't. I think I am going to try to learn to rollerblade again. I would love her to just pull me down the street. But I reall do play with my dog all the time, just not walking. So I think the problem is very obvious.

BTW, what kind of dog is that elsig. And one last thing, I am the type of dog owner who will change my lifestyle to better benefit the dog. I will not get rid of my dog.

InvisibleAliceDee
-L S D-
Male
    #6479554 - 01/20/07 11:02 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

my opinion is that the dog is loney when your not with it... it not the exercise shes just bored outside....

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: AliceDee]
    #6479557 - 01/20/07 11:04 AM (17 years, 2 months ago)

She has gracie and they play all the time. She's not lonely. I really just think she needs a lot of exercise.

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
    #6479843 - 01/20/07 01:00 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

If you can't ride a bike because of your disability, perhaps you can set up a skateboard with a seat or some kind of sled with wheels that she could pull you on. A Malamute would love that kind of excersize.

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
    #6479891 - 01/20/07 01:21 PM (17 years, 2 months ago)

You should watch the Dog Whisperer, Cesar Millan has an amazing bond with dogs...watching him in action is sweet, that relationship between Cesar & dogs is truely a joy to behold. Check that out, and you'll learn a few tips.  You should check out his book too, that should help you out a lot.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=blended%26field-keywords=cesar%20millan%20dog%20whisperer%26results-process=default%26dispatch=search/ref=pd_sl_ov_tops-1_blended_14980097_1&results-process=default?tag2=over-std-20

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder