Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

Loc: The desert
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Dark_Star]
    #6479930 - 01/20/07 03:36 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

He already mentioned watching that show several times, and even owning his book.

--------------------
LNC's official Alaskan stoner
:jackdaniels::drooling::jackdaniels:

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Invisibleelsig
Knowledgespeaks, wisdom listens
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: the beach
    #6479950 - 01/20/07 03:42 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

"BTW, what kind of dog is that elsig. And one last thing, I am the type of dog owner who will change my lifestyle to better benefit the dog. I will not get rid of my dog"'''

your response is very good , im glad to hear this :smile: That dog is a mix of several arctic dogs including the type of dog you have and samoyed,  greenland dog and west siberian laika. i also have a pure samoyedy, a german sheppard and a rottweiler.  Good luck with yuor dog, as long as u are willing to change and adjust im sure its going to be ok. most problems with dogs is actually with the owner and not the dog and it may sound harsh but i think there is alot of people who shouldnt have a dog at all, maybe as much a s30% of dog owners shouldnt have a dog at all. But it sounds like your going to be just fine.

InvisibleDark_Star
train driver pervading a desktop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Jadian]
    #6479988 - 01/20/07 04:03 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Jadian said:
He already mentioned watching that show several times, and even owning his book.

:lol: You just owned me there buddy.

That's what I get for not reading through all the posts before adding my own. :smirk:

--------------------

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

#6480020 - 01/20/07 04:16 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Wasn't trying to be an asshole or anything, just thought I'd point it out.

--------------------

Offlinefurniture
Stranger
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: elsig]
    #6480031 - 01/20/07 04:24 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Try teaching your dog to shake jackass. If you would like help let me explain. Meet the pup at the waters edge take the stick/ bird as it comes out of the water just as the pup is going to shake step back and say shake. when the pup shakes praise.

Couldn't you figure this out on your own?

InvisibleDark_Star
Male User Gallery

#6480073 - 01/20/07 04:42 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Yeah dude, good looking out.......you didn't come off as a dick at all, in fact you made me laugh. :laugh:
Plus that reminded me about my bad habit of posting, THEN reading the other responses. I don't do it all the time, but.......  Sometimes I get a great idea and want to get it down before I forget it & see what sort of response it gets.  This wasn't one of those cases, it was mere laziness on my part. :crazy:

:sunny:

--------------------

Invisibleelsig
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: furniture]
    #6480106 - 01/20/07 05:04 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

furniture said:
Try teaching your dog to shake jackass. If you would like help let me explain. Meet the pup at the waters edge take the stick/ bird as it comes out of the water just as the pup is going to shake step back and say shake. when the pup shakes praise.

probably mu bad enligh but was this ment for me? i have no idea what you just said lol

OfflineJadian
Ninja
Male User Gallery

#6480156 - 01/20/07 05:34 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Yeah shaking has nothing at all to do with the problem this guy has.

--------------------

InvisibleDark_Star
Male User Gallery

#6480157 - 01/20/07 05:34 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

:lol: yeah dude...I don't know what he's getting at. You really know your shit. :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: daytripper05]
    #6480276 - 01/20/07 06:29 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

I guess I still don't understand why the dog is alone outside when you know that she leaves the yard despite the electric fence.  I mean, you could go outside with her to make sure she doesn't run off, even if you're not necessarily running around with her, you're still there to call her if she starts to stray away from her boundaries.  I'm sorry to hear about your disability, but if you have a dog, especially a high energy dog like that one, you need to exercise it every single day.  Even if it's cold out or you have physical issues.  Maybe you could hire a dog walker/runner to do some a few times a week so that you don't have to deal with the physical stress every day? 

When we trained our dog, we used mostly treats and positive reenforcement.  If they do something right on the 1st try, you give them praise, and a piece of their food.  If they don't, you don't give them anything until they do it.  Once a dog is trained to do certain things, try to avoid repeating yourself if your dog doesn't listen the first time, this makes them tune you out.  For a while, we'd let our dog outside with us without a leash on, and the started not being great about coming the 1st time we called her, so we'd call her a few times until she came over, and then reward her.  All this taught her was that she could ignore us the 1st few times we called, and listen when she felt like it, and still be rewarded.  We made her a selective listener :tongue:  Now she listens the 1st time, or she gets nothing, and she knows it.  We exercise her every day off leash by playing fetch with a stick or tennis ball in a fenced in area.  When she's done that, she's calm and well behaved the rest of the day.  If for some reason we don't do that and she doesn't get enough exercise taht day, she gets antsy and misbehaves (whines, jumps up, etc).  A tired dog is a happy dog, and it sounds to me like you are someone who really cares about your dog and wants to make it work out, which is great.  Just make sure that you are firm and calm with her while training her.  Another options is, can you just install a normal fence?  It would be a little bit expensive, but even if you just fenced off a portion of the yard, you could ensure that she couldn't escape her play area, and she'd be safe :thumbup:  Or you could install one of those dog run things, that a leash hooks to that lets them run around a large area but they can't get away.  Just some options.  Good luck with whatever route you decide to take!

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

OfflineFrosty_Storm
Wandered off inwonderland
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Liz]
    #6480505 - 01/20/07 08:03 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Get cheap flags and put them up in the border of the yard, walk the dog around the yard and use a negative command to denote the flags. The flags will be bad to cross, therefore establishing a boundary. Walk the dog around the perimiter of the yard on a leash and if it crosses the flag give it a negative reinforcement, when the dog stays in the boundaries positive reinforcement. Sooner or later you can get rid of the flags, this is how electric fence training is done but you can probably get the same effect with a quick yank on the leash rather than shocking your doggie. IMHO its cute too!

--------------------
Shrowded in an angelic white veil of darkness
~Frosty Storm~

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #6480877 - 01/20/07 10:20 PM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Jadian said:
If you can't ride a bike because of your disability, perhaps you can set up a skateboard with a seat or some kind of sled with wheels that she could pull you on.  A Malamute would love that kind of excersize.

:thumbup:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: In my garden
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Liz]
    #6481416 - 01/21/07 02:17 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

Liz said:
I guess I still don't understand why the dog is alone outside when you know that she leaves the yard despite the electric fence. I mean, you could go outside with her to make sure she doesn't run off, even if you're not necessarily running around with her, you're still there to call her if she starts to stray away from her boundaries. I'm sorry to hear about your disability, but if you have a dog, especially a high energy dog like that one, you need to exercise it every single day. Even if it's cold out or you have physical issues. Maybe you could hire a dog walker/runner to do some a few times a week so that you don't have to deal with the physical stress every day?

My dog is not outside by herself at all. She is inside with me most of the time. She sleeps inside and goes in and out pretty much when she wants. She is a really happy and well take care of dog. I don't neglet her in any other way except her walking, which I am changing. My dogs is a part of the family and is treated with equal respect. I really have an enormous amount of love/respect for her. She is in very good hands.

I try to follow Cesars guide to a happy balanced dog. His training method don't involve using treats. I have used these methods before but don't really like it. I don't like having to reward my dog everytime she does something good with a treat. I give her treats all the time in the house (say small bite or two of whatever I am eating). It's just a difference of technique. Nothing better not giving them treats but Cesar explains why he doesn't. Cesar actually does all his training with energy and usually silent. The dogs behave all commands sit, stay, lay down, ect without anything said to them. Using energy and exploiting the dogs natural instict to get them to obey is my goal. He explains this quite well in his book and where he comes from. I highly recommend the book. I am actually only part way trough it. It really helps.

A fence is not an option. My mom doesn't want one nor do my neighbors(they're cool so we respect them)

I got on some roller blades and let her pull me for a while. She loved it. I think I am going to do this more often. It was less work than actually walking and my balance issues don't play too big of a threat. I fell two or three time but luckly there was grass to fall into. I had a great time.

Edited by daytripper05 (01/21/07 02:18 AM)

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6481421 - 01/21/07 02:20 AM (15 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

furniture said:

wtf... :rolleyes:

Invisibleelsig
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6484394 - 01/22/07 03:09 AM (15 years, 8 days ago)

Quote:

I try to follow Cesars guide to a happy balanced dog. His training method don't involve using treats. I have used these methods before but don't really like it. I don't like having to reward my dog everytime she does something good with a treat. I give her treats all the time in the house (say small bite or two of whatever I am eating). It's just a difference of technique. Nothing better not giving them treats but Cesar explains why he doesn't. Cesar actually does all his training with energy and usually silent. The dogs behave all commands sit, stay, lay down, ect without anything said to them. Using energy and exploiting the dogs natural instict to get them to obey is my goal. He explains this quite well in his book and where he comes from. I highly recommend the book. I am actually only part way trough it. It really helps.

Well this guy does know his stuff then because treats are completly unneccesary, i wonder if this book is in norwegeian too? sounds like a intresting read. I teach my dogs all commands with both words and fingersignals but i rarly tell my dog what to do, dogs do feel your energy, a well trained dog knows you and what you want and you dont have to tell it what to do all the time, i see people who goes on with their dog, sit sit stay and so on and i see a frustrated dog standing next to them and is very unsure what to do.

I dont use treats in training, only when we are on long walks just to give them a little extra energy, I usually have dried rein meat as treat.

Edited by elsig (01/22/07 03:22 AM)

InvisibleLiz
Owl Lady
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Massachusetts
    #6484623 - 01/22/07 06:20 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

We started training our dog at 12 weeks of age, and since she was so young, pieces of her normal food were a great way to overcome her short attention span.  He also learned both voice and hand commands and we usually don't use them anymore, but bring them with us on walks where she will be offleash to give her if she does something new that we are teaching ner.  Labs are very food oriented, and every book we read on them said that it was a good idea to use pieces of their kibble to train them.  I don't regret it because while I'm sure that Cesar's methods work just as well, we have a happy well trained pup :smile:

--------------------
Remember, remember the fifth of November
The gunpowder treason and plot.
I see no reason why gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot.

OfflineSpooge
The Nutter
Loc: Ice patches that last for...
    #6484644 - 01/22/07 06:35 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

Nice dog. I had an alaskan malamute and they are difficult to train. They need much more attention and time then many other breeds.

I think you are doing your best, considering your circumstances. The fact your malamute will come back to you, even if it's way the hell off in the distance, is a feat in itself.

For 4 years I was employed for training dogs(more of a helper than anything though)...and I had lots of problems with just getting my dog to come when I called it. When he was almost 2, things started turning around.

People gave some great advice about getting it out more, being more active than it already is.

I bought a harness for my dog and whenever I could in the winter, I'd have him pulling me on the cross country skiing trails. That dog could pull me and 2 friends uphill at like 20mph! haha slight exaggeration, but man, he looked like a tire burning out in the snow.

When I wasn't doing that, I was walking him regularly. He really started to show improvement in a lot of areas with increased exercise.

Invisibleelsig
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Spooge]
    #6485170 - 01/22/07 11:44 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

yeah this breed loves to pull, a car tire or something can be used for this breed to train it. but its important to start slowly and dont overdo it to begin with since it hasent been used to this before.

People should know what their breed is normally used for and try to think about this when they train it, i train my german sheppard completly diffrent than my samoyed. and a rottweiler is completly diffrent than these two again., so they all get special training more suited for their kind of breed

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

#6485178 - 01/22/07 11:47 AM (15 years, 7 days ago)

You got to use two fingers like this, right to the neck.

Or keep it on a chain, or leash?

First you teach her SIT, STAY, and HEAL.
Then you walk your boundrie with her on a choke.
You need her to look at you for the OK, if she acts on a whim, you have to catch that. You have to teach her to ask you for permission. Treats give her motivation well that and aprasal. But to much and she becomes a beggar.
But walk the line and every time she goes to walk out from your line give her a sharp jab with the choke. Tell her to sit or heal. Walk the line don't let her go over it. Do this daily. Maybe a few times a day. Keep reinforcing the boundry, and her good behaviour.

Dogs will run and dogs will hunt. It's engrained in them all. It's how our relationship came to be. That dog needs to run, and get out it's energy.
It's a meditation for them, a zen practice thousands of years old.

Invisibledaytripper05
Psychonaut
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Please give dog training advice [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6487016 - 01/22/07 09:20 PM (15 years, 7 days ago)

i love that episode.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom